Sign in to follow this  
WHC-125

1989 ford ranger

truckin88

the chevy s-10 is a good truck. 2.5L 5 speed trans.

my little 82 chevy has a 1991 2.5l engine and is pushin 240'000 miles on it and still kickin. my other 1987 s-10 had 165'000 on it and still ran like new but the body rusted out. i have the engine sitting in the corner waiting for the one thats currently in my 82 to die. i have been waiting for allmost 3 yrs now to swap engines but it just keeps going & going :scratchead: .

i payed $100 for my 1982 s-10 with a bad engine. the body was from california and only has 92'000 on it. too bad michigan weather is taking a toll on the body thou.

WH800029.jpg

my first truck was an 88 one of these, yet it had a 350, that my dad and I put in.....it was awesome.....make civic's cry.....

Duff

too bad michigan weather is taking a toll on the body thou.

I don't know about the availability or environmental laws in Michigan, but here in New Hampshire a lot of us have our vehicles "hot oil undercoated." There are a number of reputable shops that shoot the undercarriage and panels with hot, clean bar and chain oil. They drill holes to access the hidden and enclosed areas and plug them with removable plastic plugs so they can reapply the stuff later. Some folks have them done annually, others every two years. Costs about $50-$75 in my area. Although it makes a h*ll of a mess initially and takes a few days to drain off (we park on dirt if possible), we've got some bodies from the 70's that are as solid as the day they came off the assembly line. This is where I got the idea to coat the underside of my mower deck with bar and chain oil.

JMHO.... :hide:

Duff :scratchead:

hodge

I don't know about the availability or environmental laws in Michigan, but here in New Hampshire a lot of us have our vehicles "hot oil undercoated." There are a number of reputable shops that shoot the undercarriage and panels with hot, clean bar and chain oil. They drill holes to access the hidden and enclosed areas and plug them with removable plastic plugs so they can reapply the stuff later. Some folks have them done annually, others every two years. Costs about $50-$75 in my area. Although it makes a h*ll of a mess initially and takes a few days to drain off (we park on dirt if possible), we've got some bodies from the 70's that are as solid as the day they came off the assembly line. This is where I got the idea to coat the underside of my mower deck with bar and chain oil.

JMHO.... :hide:

I can see the advantages on this, but oh boy, when the EPA finally catches wind of this...

HorseFixer

Yes our winters suck Duff & Hodge they sure apply tons of chloride, and yeah yer right hodge that nasty GOVENOR of ours :scratchead: Well what can I say she rides a broomstick to the CAPITAL in LANSING every morning! :ychain: When she hears about the oil trick she's so mean she will prolly drink it! :ychain::ychain: Im with Karl I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 and It serves me well :hide:

Duff

I can see the advantages on this, but oh boy, when the EPA finally catches wind of this...

Oddly enough, the EPA is aware of this. We used to be able to apply used crankcase oil, but the EPA decided (and in this case, I think appropriately) that it contained too many other pollutants. For whatever reason, they seem to have accepted virgin bar and chain oil as environmentally safe. Actually, if the shop doing the applications is a good one, the amount of dripping when the rig comes out of the process is fairly minimal.

At least for now we're safe....... :hide:

hodge

When I was a kid, my dad's friend, the guy who introduced me to Wheel Horses (I will take a moment of silence to honor him)... ... ... had a D-200, and would put a 30 gallon drum on a 3 point hitch platform. It was full of used engine oil. He would drive up and down our lane, sprinkling oil on the road to keep the gravel dust down. I am sure that is a no no, now.