Sign in to follow this  
WHC-125

1989 ford ranger

WHC-125

I was wondering what you guys think of a 1989 ford ranger. It is right down the street from me and isnt in that bad of shape. It comes with an extra set of studded snow tires and a cap. Now the bad, it is only 2wd and am pretty sure it needs a oil pump. And the the rear fender wells have a little rot. The guy wants a few hundred bucks he said, pretty much just wants it gone. He has had it for a while.

Let me know what you guys think

stevebo

Chris,

In my opinion, you should save up a little extra money and get something more reliable and newer for your first car. Take it from me, I bought my first car when I was 15 and started to work on it. It is a 1971 Dodge Dart 2 door v8. I ended up putting a lot of work into that car. When you buy an older car/truck the money you spend trying to make it reliable ends up costing you more in the long run. I would look for a small truck that is newer with higher miles. Let me know if I can help.

You just need to sell off some of the heard to buy your first car/truck. Last of all, think of the cost of gas. Go with a small 4 cylinder or 6. Those 8's will kill you.

T-Mo

I had a '88 Ranger 2WD, with the 2.9L V-6, 5-speed. The transmission was the weak point in it - not made for any load but small ones. Being a 1989, there could be a few engines in there, from a 2.3L 4 cylinder to the 4.0L V-6. Good small trucks, but it's 20 years old now, so it will have some problems.

WHC-125

Steve, I agree with you. There is a 1998 Ford Ranger close by me with 180,000 but I have to check it out. And if you want to help just look around for good deals.

Terry, thanks for the advice, my dad even said that small of a truck might have a hard time wih my quad in the back let alone a trailer.

wheel horse 1045

i have a ford ranger i haul some big loads but in my oppinion when they say bad oil pump means bad motor

Coadster32

I agree with bad oil pump=bad motor. Who needs a quad in the back of the truck when you've got horses to haul around anyhow?? :thumbs2:

My opinion is if you want a cheaper used vehicle, stick w/ something that has less than 100k on it. My ranger if starting to rot out from the frame up. Still looks ok on top, but..., and that's only a 1994 with 100k on it. (wow, 15yrs old already)

nylyon

Just my opinion, but if you're looking for a good reliable inexpensive first car, look at the later model Jeep Cherokee's with the 4.0. You can pick one up for a song, and the 4.0 will last almost forever.

WHC-125

Just my opinion, but if you're looking for a good reliable inexpensive first car, look at the later model Jeep Cherokee's with the 4.0. You can pick one up for a song, and the 4.0 will last almost forever.

Karl, I was thinking about that but I need a truck because I am constantly asking other people to help me get stuff(Bill) and then I would have to get a trailer right away

nylyon

I have an F-250 and if I have to get a tractor from somewhere, I will use my little 5x8 utility trailer, it's just much safer and easier to load / unload. I have seen too many video's and pictures of tractors falling off ramps when trying to put them into pickup trucks, again just my opinion.

nylyon

And I can sell you my 2001 Cherokee Limited (heated leather seats, selec-trac and A/C that works) for a good price :thumbs2:

it's the middle one (blue) You can have the red one too, but you won't like the price :thumbs:

AllCars.JPG

Sparky

I agree about transporting tractors in trailers over pickup beds. My 6x12 trailer is nice and low with a full drop down gate so I never have to worry about a ramp kicking out on me while the tractor is being loaded.

A guy I work with has a 92 Cherokee with just over 200K and its still going strong. Its his daily driver.

Mike.........

Coadster32

Adding to the cherokee thing, they were quite popular and plenty. Getting parts is easy as they were everywhere. Junkyards are full of them. Home Depot/ Lowes sells the trailers for approx. $500. I agree with the others. Even with my snowmobile trailer, I still use ramps. A little landscaping trailer with ramp gate is the way to go. :thumbs2:

wheel horse 1045

i use a 4by 8 tilt trailer or my ranger or my f150,depends on how much im hauling.

stevasaurus

Chris...I agree with Stevebo. Save a few more dollars and buy what you need and want at the same time.

This is true...everyone always remembers their first car...make it a good memory. :thumbs2:

sawhorse

I've got a 1999 ranger 4x4. still got a lot of life left in it. now that it is 10 years old it may be worth slightly over $4000. the average life span of today's vehicles i am told

is 15 years. so I guess i got 5 more to go.

I transport my horse in my truck bed but I do not use the ramps. I back the ranger

into a ditch and then drive the horse into the bed!

:thumbs2:

WHC-125

Guys I think I found the truck I want with the help of "Bill" for spotting it and hopefully I get it. :thumbs2:

WHC-125

Those 8's will kill you.

Call me dead if I get the one I want :thumbs2:

WHC-125

Call me dead if I get the one I want :thumbs:

Im still alive :ychain: The one I wanted was a complete rot box and I went down the street to a shop and they said it has been in their for brake lines prolly 3 times(It was a plow truck its whole life) :thumbs2:

Operator

My thoughts, stay away from plow trucks! unless you know the owner' and how they use them. My going to work truck is a 1988 Bronco II 2.9 5 spd averages 20 mpg with all my tools and work stuff in back, nothing pretty but better than using my Superduty in a gravel crushing plant. I'd stick with a 4 wheel drive truck for better resale too. It does snow a little in your are right?

We have had numerous Rangers and Bronco's but the B-II get the better MPG even with the same motors and tranny'. Get a decent small trailer to do the tractor haulin though, safer.

Randy

perry

the chevy s-10 is a good truck. 2.5L 5 speed trans.

my little 82 chevy has a 1991 2.5l engine and is pushin 240'000 miles on it and still kickin. my other 1987 s-10 had 165'000 on it and still ran like new but the body rusted out. i have the engine sitting in the corner waiting for the one thats currently in my 82 to die. i have been waiting for allmost 3 yrs now to swap engines but it just keeps going & going :thumbs2: .

i payed $100 for my 1982 s-10 with a bad engine. the body was from california and only has 92'000 on it. too bad michigan weather is taking a toll on the body thou.

WH800029.jpg

WHC-125

Perry, nice looking S-10 you have there! :thumbs2: I am going to look at a Toyota today and a S-10 tomorrow(I WANT THIS ONE) :thumbs:

perry

over 200'000 and i still get 28mpg :thumbs2:

just dont get a 4cly with a automatic trans. they are dogs as it is. gotta have a 5 spd with a 4cyl. have herd good things on the 4.3l V6 too.

WHC-125

over 200'000 and i still get 28mpg :thumbs2:

just dont get a 4cly with a automatic trans. they are dogs as it is. gotta have a 5 spd with a 4cyl. have herd good things on the 4.3l V6 too.

The S-10 I was looking at has the 4.3

Red Iron

I had a 88 Ranger with 2.0 & 5 speed manual, kept it for 12 years

and got me easy 28 mpg. Had troubles with the throttle body later

and starting to rot from bottom up (I live in MICHIGAN). Only thing it

didn't like was hauling 16 80lb sacks of gravel mix.

I know someone who hauls smaller tractors inside his Cherokee,

the roundhood guy ya may know here. :thumbs2:

truckin88

Chris,

I use to build Jeeps, and was very big into the hobby Karl is right the 4.0 is a beast and will last you for a long time. If you want a truck try to pickup a Jeep commanche, late eighties early 90's. If your budget is very low, one of the best pickups out there are the old F150's with solid front axles and 300ci Inline 6's, those engines go forever, and the trucks are great. remember 2wd in the northeast has no resale so they are cheap

I wouldn't worry about loading tractors into the bed, I load ones all the time into my 06 ram quad short box, the main thing, is good ramps, and try to back up to a bank. I do perfer trailers, so try to get one with a tow hitch so you can upgrade to a trailer.

if you have a decent deck I can help you with your truck fund this week....hahaha.