Chrishar

Gear problems

Chrishar

Have a 702 the transmission will not go in third or reverse gear with the motor running but will go in them two gears if i turn the motor off the other two gears work fine with the motor running or not  fills like them two gears hit something hard inside but no noise when I try to put them in gear need some help please 

• Like 1

Achto

Is your drive belt coming to a complete stop when you step on the clutch/brake peddle? If not this will make it hard to get in to gear.

• Like 1

wallfish

Sounds like the issue is not the transmission. The belt is still spinning/moving after pushing the clutch pedal and therefore it's spinning the transmission pulley. The trans pulley must completely stop turning for shifting.

The belt must slip around the engine pulley when the pedal is pushed and that's how the belt stops. The belt guard is what helps support the belt loop around the engine engine pulley so it should be installed.

638713636_beltguard.jpg.58b0252650c716e9068d011a86c62dc6.jpg

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 2

ri702bill
8 hours ago, Chrishar said:

fills like them two gears hit something hard inside

Maybe, maybe a needle bearing is on it way out and there is a loose one giving grief. Did you drain and flush the Unidrive recently?? If not, it may be time to. Do inspect what comes out of it for metal pieces...

Bill

squonk

The input gear (pictured) has a funky mating surface with the inside of the 2-3 gear.

702 transmission 029.jpg

Wheel Horse Parts and More

The 2-3 gear takes the most abuse of all the gears. Time to tear it apart. It is probably shot.

peter lena

@Chrishar https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS866US866&q=wheel+horse+shifter+dog+point+pin&tbm=isch&source=univ&fir=fOaOlfoX49nqvM%2CBLKDjvcflf  add this to your improvement check point , also verify lubricated movement of every related lever / linkage spot , make the rust run out . then an aerosol  red grease , to ensure complete movement , also bronze bushings , in trans tunnel , eliminate collective drag function , pete 

Chrishar

I have rebuilt this transmission a year ago and have been back in too it 5 times because it been making noise it goes in 2 and 1 good with the motor running just not 3 and r  so you thank it that gear 

• Like 1

squonk

3rd and Rev. use both shift forks. I would look close at the spline shaft the gears ride on. Also I would look close at the bearing inside of the output gear. It will spin at a different speed than the input shaft itself and can be noisy. It is the only bearing along with both input shaft bearings involved in shifting. The reverse idler gear may have some wear on it as well

stevasaurus

Something is telling me it might be the shifter or the doughnut on the shifter breaking loose.  Maybe the ball that moves the shift rails.  Pull the shifter and check that out before you open it again.  A sloppy shifter can do what you are experiencing, or something in the way of moving the shifter all the way to the right. 

If it is that, it can be fixed.  :eusa-think:

taubensee@sbcglobal.net

My first post here. My Commando 800 won't go into 3rd gear. I tried to drain the transaxle and a rusty looking watery oil came out. I determined that the boot around the shifter had failed. Prior to this analysis I installed a new drive belt. The pulley stops when I put in the clutch and other gears work fine but trying to put it into third feelslike it hits a wall.

stevasaurus

taubensee, Whatever you do, do not force the shifter.  You probably have a rust issue.  Drain the trans, put in 2 qt of diesel, jack the rear wheels off the ground and run the horse in all gear for a total of about 30 minutes.  Try to put into 3rd every once in a while, but do not force.  Drain and repeat process if needed.  Put 2 qts 90 weight in trans and drive around in 2nd gear for about 30 minutes.  Let us know if it loosens up.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Chrishar

Found the problem it was the role pin on one of the forks it was back out haft way fox it now it works good  thanks for the help y'all 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

That is a new one for me!!  Glad you found it.  That is really rare.  :occasion-xmas:

Chrishar

I know I wouldn't of thought and role pin  would cause it not to go in two gears but it was a problem works really good 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chrishar

Drove it in a parade Saturday it did really good so I thank it's fixed 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1