chev0545

what's the closest color to toro spray can red? to use on a snow plow.    thanks

SylvanLakeWH

You will find varying opinions...

I prefer Regal Red. :twocents-twocents:

Some thoughts here:

• Like 2

TonyToro Jr.

I always use regal red

• Like 2

ri702bill

A great time of year to use Rustoleum - it just MAY be dry enough to use by fall..... :lol: The newer low VOC compliant formula has some drawbacks...

• Like 1

D_Mac

As long as it isn't green. Any shade of RED will do .

• Like 1

peter lena

@chev0545  good time to functional check in that  PLOW STEERING QUADRANT , do mine on  2 milk crates , up off the floor , roller stool around it lubricating / detailing in function. that llever mounted spring lever set up , can easily solidly sound / slide like a rifle bolt . penetrating oil first , rust run out , then aerosol  red spray grease . channel lock tighten up the , squeze lever rod , eliminate play , lubricate function . use elastic nuts to hold , perfect swing ease . 1/8" hair pin clips on frame end , push in to last hole , for no loss issue . that lever spring point detailing , really lets swing release , assist the red grease arc / hole area , done this on all my plows , also use a penetrating oil finish on front side of blade , for snow slide / release , what ever ease you pick up on the milk crates , wil be the same function , on your horse , frame set up . lots of hours , no issues , plowin pete

• Like 2

Brockport Bill

consider painting the wear edge bar black just for a "cool " look 

• Like 1

Brockport Bill

black painted wear bar -- plus new carriage bolts

wh plow 4 paint frontal.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

Brockport Bill

heres another plow with black wear bar and new bolt hardware

wh wrs 312 plow blade front.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@Brockport Bill  as you know its very easy to turn over that wear edge , or replace , seen too many plows destroid down to plow edge , keeping an eye on your stuff . is what its all about . pete 

Brockport Bill
5 hours ago, peter lena said:

@Brockport Bill  as you know its very easy to turn over that wear edge , or replace , seen too many plows destroid down to plow edge , keeping an eye on your stuff . is what its all about . pete 

yes Pete  -- i have also seen plows ruined with neglect of the wear bar - including worn so far that the holes in the blade itself are worn so the holes are gone -- and nothing to hold the carriage bolts -- i recently acquired a plow with wear blade worn so far that a new wear blade had no holes to attach to the plow unit -- so ---- i took plow blade to welder and had him attach new steel plate to extend bottom of plow by couple inches...... plus, he cut new holes in the new plate for the carriage bolts to attach the wear blade -- here are some photos of the plow -- i cleaned up the surface rust on any damaged scars on plow with 90 degree grinder and then primed and painted -- then attached the wear blade with new carriage bolts -- plow now will last for many more years -- with proper care !!!!!!!!!!!!

wh plow welded extension.jpg

wh 4 plow weld and grind.jpg

wh plow 4 weld rear.jpg

wh plow 4 weld.jpg

• Like 1

peter lena

@Brockport Bill  nice repair on that ! that entire blade set up is very solid , found with some functional detailing , it moves with a solid ease . thank you for the reply , pete

Brockport Bill
10 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@Brockport Bill  nice repair on that ! that entire blade set up is very solid , found with some functional detailing , it moves with a solid ease . thank you for the reply , pete

as you have noted  --with proper care - -some appropriate grease lube the right places.......... along with maybe even rinsing any road salt that gets on blade from end of driveway -- even some spray lube on the blade for nice snow flow -- these units last many decades

peter lena

@Brockport Bill, assemble plow / frame  on 2 milk crates , and roller stool around it as you build . that steering quadrant is the key to function , that spring loaded dowel pin , likes red grease , also the squeeze lever handle linkage , needs tightening up on the loop ends , small channel locks . the small triangular lever pull point on frame ,can be held at perfect lever tension  with a longer bolt and elaastic lock nut, dial in solid / smooth , grease. when lubricated thoroughly , that lever pin sounds like a rifle bolt . done this set up on a number of plows now . they swing like power steering . this is the exact oposet of what I  normally see on a plow , thats what made me do it . 1/8" hair pin clips at rear axel lever swing holes , push in to last large hole , they will not fall off . greasy , pete

• Like 2

Brockport Bill
3 hours ago, peter lena said:

@Brockport Bill, assemble plow / frame  on 2 milk crates , and roller stool around it as you build . that steering quadrant is the key to function , that spring loaded dowel pin , likes red grease , also the squeeze lever handle linkage , needs tightening up on the loop ends , small channel locks . the small triangular lever pull point on frame ,can be held at perfect lever tension  with a longer bolt and elaastic lock nut, dial in solid / smooth , grease. when lubricated thoroughly , that lever pin sounds like a rifle bolt . done this set up on a number of plows now . they swing like power steering . this is the exact oposet of what I  normally see on a plow , thats what made me do it . 1/8" hair pin clips at rear axel lever swing holes , push in to last large hole , they will not fall off . greasy , pete

great advice

• Thanks 1