Pullstart

Driving tips and tricks…

Pullstart

Have any driving tips for the newcomers?  Post them here!  Coming from the west on 70/76?  DON’T GET OFF AT WILLOW HILL!  Continue through the next tunnel to 997 and head south.  It’s 13 miles or so out of the way and you bypass Mountain Goat Trail.  It’s a doozy when hauling a trailer.  I kissed the ground when I made it to the landing pad on the other side!

16BDE05D-4CD2-4E23-87B1-8A8AD51622C9.jpeg

• Like 3

squonk

Coming from the North. Take the 99 corridor down to Willamsport. At W'Port take route 180 and go AROUND the mountain. Your brakes and Trans a Mission will thank you. 180 turns into 147 where Rt. 80 passes it. Follow 147 to 11/15 on the other side. Take 11/15 all the way to Marysville and get on 81 there and enjoy the time playing Daytona with the semis

• Haha 1

Sparky
34 minutes ago, squonk said:

Take 11/15 all the way to Marysville and get on 81 there and enjoy the time playing Daytona with the semis

I do hate the amount of tractor trailer traffic on 81…can be kinda white knuckle sometimes. 

• Like 1

stevebo

84 to 81. Better have a truck with some snot to pull the hills! I have been on both ends of that. This year I am covered! 2024 Denali ultimate 3500 with duramax! She has 430 Ho and 975lb ft or torque. She can tow 22,000lbs but I am less than 8 fully loaded! Also don’t forget to check your air pressure!!

IMG_7452.jpeg

IMG_9228.jpeg

IMG_9235.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4
  • Heart 1

Wheel-N-It
1 hour ago, Sparky said:

I do hate the amount of tractor trailer traffic on 81…can be kinda white knuckle sometimes. 

My experience on 81 going north is like a Sunday afternoon drive compared to I-95 anywhere near Washington DC. 

I-95 from where I live is a much straighter shot, but it just ain't worth all the stress. 

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It

@stevebo, that's a mighty fine truck you have there!!!  My 2500HD is a 98 pound weakling compared to your new Denali !!!   

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

squonk

My " vintage" 2013 GMC with the big 5.3 has enough power to haul my fat self up the hills of the 99 Corridor even with the clear coat peeling and rust bubbling!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

For the ole goats driving to the BS did you pack your suitcase (the big one ) with your meds and the small Walmart plastic bag with your clothes?

• Haha 5

Wild Bill in VA
3 hours ago, Wheel-N-It said:

My experience on 81 going north is like a Sunday afternoon drive compared to I-95 anywhere near Washington DC. 

I-95 from where I live is a much straighter shot, but it just ain't worth all the stress. 

Washington is why I leave at 4:00AM going up I-95 from Richmond, then 475 Capital Beltway to 270 and then to RT-15 at Fredrick, MD. Take 15 into Pennsylvania to you get to RT-30, turn left and drive about 14 miles to the blinking yellow light which is Cashtown road. from the blinking light drive up through the hills on Cashtown till you get to RT-234 in the town and make the left turn at the stop sign. After a few miles you will see the South Mountain Fairgrounds on your left. Just look for the black gates AND LOTS OF PEOPLE < PICK UP TRUCK AND WHEEL HORSES!!!

Wild Bill in Richmond VA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

c-series don

In order for me to get off Long Island I have to drive through New York City and that just sucks! I try to go through around 4AM so the traffic is not as bad. On the way home it’s usually during the day and then it’s really bad. It’s really one of the worst things about living on the island and there’s no way around it! Going to New England is a breeze, I jump on the ferry and travel from there is a piece of cake. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

wallfish
4 hours ago, stevebo said:

Also don’t forget to check your air pressure!!

:ROTF:Have'n a good time no matter what you're doing

IMG_9228.jpeg.88fe4bc712430e6f10a73b6fe0472174.jpeg.d734d59363a46ad52fac215e540003a6.jpeg

• Haha 5

stevebo
7 minutes ago, wallfish said:

IMG_9228.jpeg.88fe4bc712430e6f10a73b6fe0472174.jpeg.d734d59363a46ad52fac215e540003a6.jpeg

Eagle eye! 

• Excellent 2

Jrblanke
5 hours ago, stevebo said:

84 to 81. Better have a truck with some snot to pull the hills! I have been on both ends of that. This year I am covered! 2024 Denali ultimate 3500 with duramax! She has 430 Ho and 975lb ft or torque. She can tow 22,000lbs but I am less than 8 fully loaded! Also don’t forget to check your air pressure!!

IMG_7452.jpeg

5 hours ago, stevebo said:

Killer truck Steve! Guess the Jolly green giant has been officially passed down? 

• Like 2

stevebo
3 minutes ago, Jrblanke said:

Killer truck Steve! Guess the Jolly green giant has been officially passed down? 

Yes sir. My boy Brennan who gets his license in a few weeks is getting this old girl!

IMG_8722.jpeg

• Excellent 2
  • Heart 4

Pullstart

Hey @stevebo you dropped your cigar!

• Like 1

stevebo
43 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Hey @stevebo you dropped your cigar!

Hope I simply placed it down… I do have a cigar holder that clips onto my hat for when I go fly fishing tho…. 

• Like 1

squonk
8 hours ago, stevebo said:

Eagle eye! 

8 hours ago, wallfish said:

Looks like gas John! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

wallfish
3 minutes ago, squonk said:

Looks like gas John! :lol:

High octane with a splash of seafoam maybe

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

squonk

So far averaging 14.1 with the Big 5.3. Just pulled the big hill in Watkins Glen! :)

Stopped so Randy can get his Doritos! :lol:

• Like 4

Pullstart
Just now, squonk said:

Stopped so Randy can get his Doritos! :lol:

They probably make him feel tall!

1 minute ago, squonk said:

Watkins Glen! :)

:auto-nascar:

• Like 1

Pullstart
5 minutes ago, squonk said:

So far averaging 14.1 with the Big 5.3.

382.5 miles on the ticker, 47.649 gallons.  The ‘ole 6.6 is drinking a thirsty 8.027 mpg’s!

• Like 2

Horse Newbie
2 hours ago, Pullstart said:

382.5 miles on the ticker, 47.649 gallons.  The ‘ole 6.6 is drinking a thirsty 8.027 mpg’s!

Let her drink !… she’s hauling you to the show !

The price of fuel will be forgotten, but the trip will be remembered.

Like I will never forget the kindness you and your clan showed Libby, myself, and little Bailey last year….

and you too Hoooowaaaard !!!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

Oh we will @Horse Newbie!  You’re all always welcome at our camp!

For anyone curious, I crunched some numbers.  Norman charges about $32/hr for an honest wage.  :lol:

• Like 2

squonk

13.8  3/4 of the way there.Ac at 46 deg climate control at 72

• Like 2