Pullstart

Any Ford Tractor Nuts? NAA / Jubilee

Pullstart

I have a buddy who owns this Jubilee.  He is looking to do light farm chores with it.  His “farmhand” tore it down to the short deck and decided it’s too big a job for him.  I don’t know how long it’s been sitting without a head or oil pan, or if it’ll roll over.  I have no idea what it really needs, and plan to pull the rod caps and pistons if possible and do some micrometer work.  Considering that there won’t be any huge chores for this, and they have a newer JD loader tractor for brush hogging, would a 2N, 8N, 9N, NAA, etc… engine fit if I were to find one?  The only thing I’ve found so far is that the newer “hundreds” tractors had a 172 that bolts in place of the 153.  We’re not looking for a puller, just a runner and not a sitter.

26FE5BD2-3B2B-4EC1-A8CE-141B04A59A4B.jpeg

4004A3B6-20CE-481F-90B9-53E5B999BD9D.jpeg

0D6B445E-25A5-440D-A75D-50AD06345582.jpeg

15F3DAFB-EAC3-42DF-960E-3CD77250FE81.jpeg

9FC9AD9A-377B-42B2-AD63-9EC4EB3A205B.jpeg

A68424C5-B319-4A23-978A-3D980D242065.jpeg

• Like 6

T-Mo

The Jubilee is a NAA and has a different engine than the 9N, 2N and 8N.  You will need an engine from another NAA, and it's possible an engine from a 600 or 601 series might fit, with some minor modifications.  The NAAs had an overhead valve engine, more displacement and horsepower than the flat head engines in the 9N, 2N and 8N.

Check my response, post #4 in this thread for further information, and parts sources:

BTW, that is a nice looking tractor.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Thanks @T-Mo!  I did just read that post and will note the suppliers.  They have a new manifold from Steiner ready to go, I thought that’ all this machine needed!  :lol:

• Like 1

T-Mo

BTW, the 172 cc engines were in the 800, 801, 900 and 901 series.  The NAA, 600, 601 series had the 134 cc engines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
8 minutes ago, T-Mo said:

BTW, the 172 cc engines were in the 800, 801, 900 and 901 series.  The NAA, 600, 601 series had the 134 cc engines.

Do you know what minor mods that 600/601 engines need to fit?  

ri702bill

Kevin - it is too nice to not finish it right!

Always burns my butt to see rust in the cylinder walls and water in the oilpan just from improper "storage". Makes more work later... It may be time to yank it before you try to crank it..:mellow:

How does the head and valves look - may need a little or a lot of work there....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sailman

:text-yeahthat:From the looks of the badge on the front it appears to be the "Golden Jubilee" which was an anniversary model. 1953 I think. They can be worth some $$ especially in the nice condition this one appears to be in. Looks like a restoration well done. I would exhaust every option to keep it original with a rebuild on that engine if possible. My grandpa had one, was one of my first tractors to drive...called it Henry. Nice tractor there!

Edited by Sailman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

T-Mo

A 1953 Ford tractor would be a Golden Jubilee, while a 1954 would be called a NAA, but technically 1953 and 1954 were both NAAs.  The badges of a 1953 and 1954 were pretty similar.  Attached below left is the 1953 Golden Jubilee, the right is 1954 NAA.

image.png

Untitled.tiff

• Like 2

Sailman

Looks like this one is a 1954 then. Had no idea the '54 badge looked so similiar. Learn something new every day!

• Like 2

1995 520H+96+97

image.png.bbd79a21f1725d8b168c7561cdb65e08.png

• Like 1

Pullstart

Any chance a Ferguson T0-20 engine would bolt up and work in this NAA?  I know they were in cahoots for a bit in the beginning.

Pullstart

Ok, I think I answered my question.

Big differences: the motor and the carburetor. 

The TO-20 uses a Continental Z-120 motor. Ford produced their own engine for the 9N. The carburetors are different, too: The TO-20 uses a Zenith, and the 9N has a Marvel carburetor.

oliver2-44

Its been a long time since my Ford Tractor Shop flunky days.  The old boss picked up every 2,8,9N tractor and 500-800 tractor he could, got them running, painted them and sold them to the ranchette crowd.  Most of the import tractors weren't around yet.  Seems I recall steam cleaning inside those engines still in the tractor like that with the pan, head and, rods out. 

Some of the Fords had "dry (thin) sleeves and some had 'wet" sleeves.  You can hone either one if they are not out or at least close to spec.  While its at that stage look at the rear crank seal area (up in the clutch area) to see if you can tell if its been leaking, I would venture to say it is. I seem to recall that you can roll the old seal out and roll the new seal in, but its been 40 years so memory is not to be trusted.  Also clean that oil pump suction screen.  If you do a do a re-ring or full rebuild, check if they have a rebuild kit for that oil pump, I seem to recall doing something with them.   

• Excellent 1

T-Mo

The engines from a 9N, 2N and 8N are different than the 134 cc engine from a NAA, carburetors are on the opposite side.  Fuel tanks are different as well.  Ford made a lot of tractors with the 134 engine.

• Like 1

Sailman

I recall an NAA for sale near me a while back that had an "aftermarket" motor. Can't remember the name of the motor but it sounded like a replacement engine designed for the tractor. Might be a similar situation to folks putting predator motors in the old wheel horses?

• Like 1

sjoemie himself

Pretty neat tractor as others have said. V8 swap maybe? :P

• Haha 1

Pullstart
11 minutes ago, sjoemie himself said:

Pretty neat tractor as others have said. V8 swap maybe? :P

It’s been done I’m sure, but I’m not sure about practicality on the farm.. :lol:

• Like 1

sjoemie himself
41 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

practicality on the farm.. 

Getting things done quicker?? :confusion-shrug:

• Haha 1

T-Mo

The Funk Brothers offered a V-8 conversion kit when the 9N came out that will fit a 9N, 2N and a 8N, I'm not sure if it will fit a NAA since it's a bit different than a 8N.  And I seen some good V-6 and V-8 conversions on 8Ns, and I seen some really bad ones where you couldn't really steer the tractor due to interference with the steering apparatus on the tractor.

Myself, the best thing would be to find a Sherman transmission, especially the Combo, and put that in the tractor.

• Like 2

Mike'sHorseBarn

I'm glad I'm not the only Ford tractor nut around! I bought 2 in the last month lol! A 58 601 and a 52 8n.

20230701_120655.jpg.d370334c758450e889f46cc833af9282.jpg

received_678710554160928.jpeg.b28c9478109c81ef9bd84ab244fac87d.jpeg

received_3549961398659499.jpeg.e3bee955d2bfeda6f49e0d72d2dd6d80.jpeg

• Excellent 2

T-Mo

Your Workmaster has the pie weights, I see.  What model is your 601?  621, 641, 651, 661, etc?   601 was just the series, not the model number.  The model number can be found on the flat part of the transmission housing, just behind the starter.

image.png

Mike'sHorseBarn
4 hours ago, T-Mo said:

Your Workmaster has the pie weights, I see.  What model is your 601?  621, 641, 651, 661, etc?   601 was just the series, not the model number.  The model number can be found on the flat part of the transmission housing, just behind the starter.

It's a 641.

davem1111

I would agree that the most gratifying thing would be to restore it as original, but sometimes ya do what ya gotta do.  Non-original re-powers are cool, but extra challenging with machines like these where the engine is actually the "frame" also that connects the front end.

Here is the 8n that I had for many years when back in PA. Hated to let it go but needed the money at the time, after buying a JD 1070 diesel....  I see these old Fords all over and I want to rescue them all, but reality says "no".

P1010054.JPG.50d312853974907451d808e6b9cbe61f.JPG

T-Mo
19 hours ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

It's a 641.

That would be the most common model in that series, 4 speed transmission, 3 point, non-live pto.  A 621 would be the same tractor without pto or 3 point, a 651 would have 5 speed, 3 point, non-live pto, a 661 would have 5 speed, 3 point, live pto while a 671 would add Select-o-speed.