Sparky

Onan 16 voltage reg

Sparky

On my “new to me” 416 with an Onan there are two white wires coming from under the shroud, charging wires. One isn’t connected. Can anyone tell me where it goes? One is on the left terminal (looking at motor from flywheel side) but the other is just hanging there. Can’t tell using the wiring diagram either. 

IMG_8525.jpeg

IMG_8526.jpeg

IMG_8527.jpeg

• Like 1

stevebo

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Onan powered horses! Ha!!🤭

• Haha 3

stevebo

In all seriousness let me go check my 520-8

• Thanks 1

Sparky

Further investigations makes me think it could only go on the right terminal as the left and middle are common. It does appear to have snapped off as there is something jammed in it.

IMG_8528.jpeg

IMG_8529.jpeg

• Like 1

stevebo

Here is my 520-8

IMG_9082.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sparky

Thanks Steve!! Right terminal it is :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

stevebo

I would clean them up and check to see if it is charging. 

• Like 1

davem1111

I checked my 416-H and my 520-8 and have the same thing - one on one side and one on the other. Took pictures but it doesn't look like you need them now. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

Sparky

11 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

I checked my 416-H and my 520-8 and have the same thing - one on one side and one on the other. Took pictures but it doesn't look like you need them now. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Thanks Dave!

Connected it but it isn’t charging …bummer. 
  Guess I need to dig deeper 

• Like 1

WHX??

It's for the tach boys. On 520s anyway ... does a 416 even  have a tach??? I don't think a 418 I had had  them... CRS. Does go thru the nine pin if I recall. 

520s have a double stack 1/4  male spade there. 

Check yer nine pin Sparky...red wire in the middle. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Thanks 1

rmaynard

Check the AC voltage coming from the white wires. Should be about 40 something at full throttle.  My 416 didn't charge when I got it. I replaced the regulator with a Chinese one and everything works fine now. However, since I've also installed a Chinese carburetor, everytime time I'm plowing snow around Christmas, I keep having the urge to sing, Fa ra ra ra, ra ra ra ra ra...

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Sparky
43 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

It's for the tach boys. On 520s anyway ... does a 416 even  have a tach??? I don't think a 418 I had had  them... CRS. Does go thru the nine pin if I recall. 

520s have a double stack 1/4  male spade there. 

Check yer nine pin Sparky...red wire in the middle. 

No tach on the 416. Tomorrow I’ll do more testing… thanks 

• Like 2

WHX??
5 minutes ago, Sparky said:

No tach on the 416. Tomorrow I’ll do more testing… thanks 

Guessing that that wire is not used and just capped under the dash. Prolly used the same harness for 4/500 series. 

Yep check the AC into the reg and 12VDC out. If Ok go for the nine pin or the fuse holder. 

• Thanks 1

lynnmor

The Onan Service Manual has the information to troubleshoot the electrical system, download it in the manuals section.

Edited by lynnmor

Sparky

So…to wrap this up. 
  The two white wires from the stator were producing 40v AC or thereabouts. The B+ wire (red one with no output) goes into the 9 pin connector. When I pulled that connector that wire was cooked! And the pin for the headlights (green one) was buggered up as well. Chopped both out of the male and female side and butt spliced em. That fixed my no headlight issue but she still wasn’t charging the battery. 
  Amazon to the rescue! Chinese voltage reg ($13.99) was dropped off by the nice lady in the gray Amazon van so back to the garage I went. 
  Not exactly the same, like the mounting hole had no threads :wacko:… easy fix with a 1/4-20 tap. Wire wheeled any paint and rust away where it’s one mounting bolt goes, put her in and BINGO!! She is charging once again! 

IMG_8622.png

IMG_8619.png

IMG_8620.png

IMG_8621.png

IMG_8615.jpeg

IMG_8616.jpeg

IMG_8617.jpeg

IMG_8618.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

stevebo

Good job Mike. The two biggest issues with the Onan machines are the 9 pin connectors and the voltage regulators in my experience. 

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk

On My 520 I took that 9 pin and threw it as far as I could. Spliced into the harness and put an engine connector harness plug on the other side of the tractor away from the muffler heat.

• Haha 2

WHX??
1 hour ago, Sparky said:

the mounting hole had no threads :wacko:… easy fix with a 1/4-20 tap. 

Got them like that too but for 14 clams wadda ya want? 

Warning Warning danger... where's the lost on space robot when you need him...:lol: 

those off shore cheapies are like plastic fuel pumps... might haveta go thru a few till you get a good one Mikey. Watch for over charge. 

8 minutes ago, squonk said:

threw it as far as I could

Didn't we try that with you once? :ychain:

Long as I'm getting my digs in Sparky did you have to hire an electrician to run that DMM?!?!:ychain:

Well least your not going to put up with Squonkie's ribbing for being a POS DMM...:lol:

Edited by WHX??
  • Haha 1

Sparky
17 minutes ago, squonk said:

On My 520 I took that 9 pin and threw it as far as I could. Spliced into the harness and put an engine connector harness plug on the other side of the tractor away from the muffler heat.

I was tempted to chop the whole damn thing out…but it’s a pain to work on with the motor in the way, and I wasn’t about to remove the Onan to get some room to work. 
  I’ll be glad when this one is sold and gone! 

• Like 2

Sparky
13 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Got them like that too but for 14 clams wadda ya want? 

Warning Warning danger... where's the lost on space robot when you need him...:lol: 

those off shore cheapies are like plastic fuel pumps... might haveta go thru a few till you get a good one Mikey. Watch for over charge. 

Didn't we try that with you once? :ychain:

Long as I'm getting my digs in Sparky did you have to hire an electrician to run that DMM?!?!:ychain:

Well least your not going to put up with Squonkie's ribbing for being a POS DMM...:lol:

Actually 14.7 seemed a tad high, but it’s better than what it was doing before :lol: !

LOL on the DMM jabs! I can run the meter but I hate trying to work on this tractors wiring mess! I swear it has as many wires as a new Tesla :blink:

I won’t miss it when it’s GONE! 

• Like 3

squonk

Dude busting on Spark-eye's Fluke when he uses a UEI with a cracked lens. :lol:

UEI.  " U Electrocute Individuals! " :hilarious:

• Haha 3

WHX??

Fixed income ya know Sqounky... although I have a nice Fieldpiece. I'm saving for marriage... :lol:

WHX??
1 hour ago, Sparky said:

I hate trying to work on this tractors wiring mess! I swear it has as many wires as a new Tesla :blink:

I won’t miss it when it’s GONE! 

I hear ya Sparky 520s are worse and don't get me started on newer green n yellow stuff! 

Thankfully we have a member that provides us with nice color coded wiring diagrams. @gwest_ca :bow-yellow: 

squonk

Had my Fieldpiece out in the rain last week. Sometimes you gotta git er done

Edited by squonk

squonk
On 6/17/2023 at 8:25 PM, WHX?? said:

Fixed income ya know Sqounky... although I have a nice Fieldpiece. I'm saving for marriage... :lol:

For all you guys who need a meter without a cracked lens and all your cash is tied up in tractors, house paint and flower pots, $19.99 on clearance at Horror Fright!

IMG_20230620_144348282.jpg.56fe9b416c15230003275a376e651b60.jpg

Added bonus. I can use my old Fluke magnetic hanger on it!! :banana-wrench:

IMG_20230620_145910364.jpg.1ba01152a1625614acfd648f45f31beb.jpg

Edited by squonk
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1