Treepep

Time to pull the Garlic

Treepep

Well, I have been somewhat dreading it but it is time to haul in the garlic, sort the planters and the ones that will be canned.  Then I can replant more vegetables.  Anyone else have any final weekend garden plans? 

Happy planting folks!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Trina's been weeding as needed and sorting out some carrots to be transplanted and spread out a bit. 

My peas (she 🤮 peas) are beginning to flower with a couple pods growing now. 

The potatoes are doing great. Beans too. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

Eating onions, radishes, peppers, raspberries, and squash.    Tomatoes, beans, sweet corn, and blackberries are close.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Treepep

Done.  More stuff to water. @ebinmaine.  I made split pea soup last weekend.  Everything but heavy cream from my garden. Well and the home smoked bacon.  We have been picking tomatoes.  Cool season stuff is done.  Just good to be out there.  Great stuff gentlemen.

PXL_20230611_144826442.jpg

PXL_20230611_144830975.jpg

PXL_20230611_165346508_MP.jpg

PXL_20230611_165747965.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Skwerl58

We pickled beets this week and yellow squash is ready to start picking. Have some tomatoes on the vine as well as some cukesand beans blooming. Deer and rabbits played havoc on our beans  earlier this spring so netting went up with our fence. The deer are eating the potato vines and have destroyed our flowers. Deer seem to be eating more of our landscape flowers this year and they have plenty of browse, go figure.

• Like 3

Pullstart

We have all our seeds for the garden, but have been so gung-ho getting chickens taken care of, I haven’t planted much.  

• Like 2

Treepep
31 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

We have all our seeds for the garden, but have been so gung-ho getting chickens taken care of, I haven’t planted much.  

Chickens just got approved.  I am all in.  The better half is not.  I planted way too early when I lived in the Midwest.  You are kind of  late :lol:.  Plenty of time.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pullstart
2 hours ago, Treepep said:

Chickens just got approved.  I am all in. 

I tagged you in my chicken tractor build.  Maybe some inspiration for you!

• Like 3

Sailman

Having a small garden in a pretty shaded area off Lake Lanier I rotate crops. All 3 lettuce crops and the radishes are done so now the Kale and Bell peppers from the green house get transplanted in their spot. The Romain lettuce was in with the brussel sprouts so now they have full space to grow. We use the leaves from the brussel sprouts with kale in some dishes since its so late in the season before we can harvest the sprouts. Cukes have lots of flowers. Tomatoes have flowers and green 'maters.

• Like 2

JimSraj

We have been eating lots of asparagus, scallions, spinach, arugula and lettuce. Peas are filling pods and broccoli is starting to form.  Rabbits ate my green beans so replanting in pots now. Tomatoes are starting to flower as are peppers. 

• Like 3

Treepep

We have 20 pints of minced garlic canned from last season.  We decided to dehydrate and powder this seasons haul.   Probably cheaper in the long term to just buy but I enjoy the process.

PXL_20230629_113145405.jpg

• Like 2

Treepep
On 6/11/2023 at 6:37 PM, Sailman said:

Having a small garden in a pretty shaded area off Lake Lanier I rotate crops. All 3 lettuce crops and the radishes are done so now the Kale and Bell peppers from the green house get transplanted in their spot. The Romain lettuce was in with the brussel sprouts so now they have full space to grow. We use the leaves from the brussel sprouts with kale in some dishes since its so late in the season before we can harvest the sprouts. Cukes have lots of flowers. Tomatoes have flowers and green 'maters.

@Sailman.  Have you ever grown dragon tail radish?  It has a few other names.  Same genus however the edible parts are above ground.  Pretty tasty.  Season is over here... Too hot now.

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, Treepep said:

dragon tail radish? 

Trina tried those this year. Went pretty well and we are still harvesting them. I'm not a huge radish fan but they're okay. She likes them quite a lot so I can see those being done again and again. 

Treepep
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Trina tried those this year. Went pretty well and we are still harvesting them. I'm not a huge radish fan but they're okay. She likes them quite a lot so I can see those being done again and again. 

Yes sir.. its the opposite here.  I love radishes..  Mostly growing all the the cool season business.  Wife :angry-jumpinganger:Absolutely hates them.  Very easy to collect seeds form them as well.  I did not even plant them this year.  Must have missed some pods last year.

• Like 1

Sailman
7 hours ago, Treepep said:

@Sailman.  Have you ever grown dragon tail radish?  It has a few other names.  Same genus however the edible parts are above ground.  Pretty tasty.  Season is over here... Too hot now.

I will have to look onto that for next year. Had some plain radishes but they were small this year. Definitely interested in something new! Still harvesting lots of Kale. Tomatoes are doing well as always. Squash in the green house are not getting enough sun even with grow lights so will transfer them to my daughters garden. The ones I gave her last year had them overwhelmed with produce....

Edited by Sailman

Treepep
10 hours ago, Sailman said:

Squash in the green house are not getting enough sun even with grow lights so will transfer them to my daughters garden. The ones I gave her last year had them overwhelmed with produce....

Yes sir that is squash... Round about the time the vine borers take em out you, your family, and you neighbors are so damned sick of them it is inconsequential.  :D  Darn lucky to live in a time that I can have a large "hobby" garden.  I would starve if I had to live off of it.