elcamino/wheelhorse

Bainbridge Band Saw

elcamino/wheelhorse

Does anyone know anything about Bainbridge Band Saws? I have one that was given to me by neighbor who passed away in November 2007. It is a model 101, have only been able to find out that it uses a 59 !/2 inch blade. I want to open up the gear box and replace the grease? oil? whatever . Anybody got a clue? I can't find a manual online anywhere.

Edited by elcamino/wheelhorse
can't spell

formariz

You got a really obscure one there. I don’t believe you will find a manual for it except for some great luck. They were manufactured in the late 70s. I know that many people looked in vain for replacement parts and did not find them. Wheel tires are easy since there are many tires of those sizes. 

lynnmor

My Johnson calls for SAE 90 extreme pressure gear lube, if there is oil inside I would use that.  It can be found at marine stores and even Walmart.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Thanks I guess I will remove the cover and see what is in there. Been in the shed for years. I used it many times and it worked great, but that was about 10 years ago. Major problem may be the 59 1/2 inch metal cutting blades. Cleaned about a 1/2 pound of metal shaving and oil off of it the yesterday. 

gwest_ca

Brass worm gear?

Years ago there was a specific lube for worm gears and it was not EP. Worm gears are a friction application and create heat. Today nobody seams to know what it is. Some say a steam oil will work but hard to find in small quantities.

Also finding a lube not corrosive to yellow metals is a challenge.

I opted for a 50 weight Lucas transmission lube for a 60:1 box.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Took the cover off the gear box and it has steel gears and oil in it. The oil is heavier than 90wt . Used the tried and true method . Put some oil on your finger and see how long it takes to drip off . The stuff in the gear box is thick . Suggestion on what weigh oil.Took 2 pictures ,I cleaned most of the oil out so pictures would come out. need a suggestion on how much oil to put in it. The gear box is tilted , so do I tilt the whole saw so the gear box is level front to back and side to side and fill to cover both gears? I never will finish the Waldomobile.

100_0117.JPG

100_0118.JPG

squonk

Not knowing what was in it and being heavier than 90 wt. I'd opt for 00 grease (which is liquid) like Ariens uses in it's snowblowers.

You can't spoil a rotten egg! 

Classification of greases under NLGI consistency class [7] | Download  Scientific Diagram

Edited by squonk

elcamino/wheelhorse

@squonk Okay , should I cover the gears  to the tippy top? Where can I get the oo grease?

squonk
19 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@squonk Okay , should I cover the gears  to the tippy top? Where can I get the oo grease?

How much was in there when you took off the cover?. I'd say at least half way. Google 00 grease Tractor Supply carries it if there is one near you.

Edited by squonk

elcamino/wheelhorse

It was very very low.  Should I tilt the saw so the gear box is near level and fill the entire box is about 1/2 full.

JPWH

I have a 4x6 bandsaw that calls for straight 140. Fill as full as you can with the saw in down position. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

lynnmor
23 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Major problem may be the 59 1/2 inch metal cutting blades.

MSC has them, you didn't say what width you need.  blades

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Haven't gotten to the width yet. Got lucky to find the length . Found some site where the was a discussion about Bainbridge Band saws. Not much info and no manual.

formariz
1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Haven't gotten to the width yet. Got lucky to find the length . Found some site where the was a discussion about Bainbridge Band saws. Not much info and no manual.

Darren.mccarley@gmail.com

its an old email address, but this guy was a bit of an expert on Bainbridges. He could possibly answer your questions 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Got the 00 grease today ordered yesterday , to arrive Friday from the jungle site. Would work on the saw but air is so bad makes my eyes water. Tomorrow should be the same air quality .  May have to wait a few days before I work on it again. Have a project to finish before BS so saw may sit awhile. Thanks for all yall's input.

• Like 1