JWalser

K241S Question

JWalser

Hello,

I have a 1057 Wheel Horse with the K241S engine. I don't know much about engines. I got this tractor from my late grandfather and have been using it the last few years. I was mowing the other day and I noticed the pitch of the engine change. I throttled down and tried to restart it, but it wouldn't start. Popped the hood and this wire disconnected from the top of the engine. What does this part do? The battery is connected to it, so I'm guessing it's the starter? It's very weathered, so I think I should replace it. Pics attached

Edit: I found an engine diagram. 

16851946641933858189545364260796.jpg

Edited by JWalser

WHX??
1 hour ago, JWalser said:

I don't know much about engines.

That's Ok we do.

It goes in the top center of the ignition coil. Under your hand. Just push it in till you feel a click. 

The other end will pull off the top of the spark plug. 

Get a replacement  at any auto parts store if needed. 

@squonk makes them too. 

• Like 1

gwest_ca

That wire delivers the 15,000 to 20,000 volts to the spark plug so don't mess with it with the engine running. It would be a shocking experience.

Sometimes you can bend the terminals just a bit to get a tight connection which also holds it in position. Just do it with the engine not running.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

pacer
1 hour ago, gwest_ca said:

It would be a shocking experience.

Heh!! thats certainly an 'understatment' :shock::shock:!!

Since you are getting these 'clues' as to whats what, the coil is about a 1-1/2" round 6" tall black cylinder with 2 mounting points for wires and in the middle is the larger conx point for your 'lost' wire. Usually mounted on the side of the engines flywheel tin cover.

By the way --- welcome aboard ... as @WHX?? said there is an amazing amount of knowledge here and is VERY freely given!

(edit) Just went back to take another look at your pic and it looks like you are about hovering right over the coil and about to stick the wire back in.....

Edited by pacer

squonk

Those coil wires don't normally come loose unless the wire breaks. Is the metal terminal still on the end? 

• Excellent 1