formariz

The family’s scrub plane

Pullstart

:bow-blue:

953 nut
13 hours ago, formariz said:

testament to the legacy it has carried forward for many generations

A legacy of craftsmanship, thanks for sharing this.

• Excellent 1

CCW

@formariz You keep showing us these amazing tools.  Do you have this documented for future generations?  Somewhere, sometime this history can be so easily lost.

Edited by CCW
  • Like 1

formariz
11 hours ago, CCW said:

@formariz You keep showing us these amazing tools.  Do you have this documented for future generations?  Somewhere, sometime this history can be so easily lost.

Through out my life I have been fortunate in the fact that the legacy which was left to me became not only my profession but also my hobby and my passion. I always had an insatiable curiosity and need to know more about my craft and the ones that came before me. This started at a very early age. Such need was always met with positive reinforcement , recognition and help from those who noticed it and essentially entrusted to me not only their knowledge but also the provenance of the countless instruments of such knowledge which I am fortunate to own.
  I learned over the years that in most cases such does not happen. Children or siblings do not follow or show interest in their parent’s ,family’s trade or craft. Even spouses many times surprisingly know very little or care about their husbands craft and or abilities. Wether for lack of interest or many times financial necessity, other paths in life are followed by their offspring. Inevitably then, once those individuals are gone , their knowledge and all the information associated with it and them begins to disappear literally piece by piece. Wether by selling off those items or even distributing them amongst themselves the pages of the book are scattered and the story eventually lost. 
 Although the same may also happen here in the future, it is at least for the next couple generations safe, I am happy to say. My children and already evident in my grandchildren not only are actively interested and participate in the craft, but importantly show a respect and reverence for all associated with it and their predecessors. Of course in a sort of selfish way I waste no time or opportunity to keep bringing it up front and keeping the flame brightly lit.

So to answer your question directly, yes it is documented. It is so in the same way it has been documented prior and passed on to me. By individual to individual, generation to generation , keeping the interest alive, sharing and passing on the knowledge while actively always searching to understand more and filling in some of the gaps and questions of what is not known. 

Edited by formariz
  • Excellent 5