oliver2-44

What if, future Sunstrand to Eaton 1100 Transmission Upgrade

oliver2-44

I have plenty of projects, but have been reminded that I restored a 312-8 for my oldest son, and now the next son will need a better tractor mainly for mowing.

The box store one we picked up and got running probable only has this summer left in it. 

I have a C-120 and a C121 parts tractor.  Both with Sundstrand hydro's.   

I've been watching for something with an Eaton 1100, but nothing in a reasonable price range or a few hours drive has shown up in a long time.  

A gear drive would last forever, but a hydro sure is nice for a mowing tractor. 

I know Sundstrands can be refurbished to some degree and I would go through one as part of restoring the tractor.

But I'd like to know how difficult it would be in the future to remove a Sundstrand and replace it with an Eaton 1100 if the time came that it was needed?

I know the Eaton has the same transmission mounting plate bolt pattern.  

I've yet to seen a WH with an Eaton 1100 in person around here.

so, I'm wondering what would be involved making the forward reverse linkage & cam work and the brake linkage work?

• Like 1

Pullstart

JoeM

real nice to have a doner machine for the swap. 

• Like 1

squonk

:text-yeahthat: Linkages are totally different

953 nut

If you can pick up a donor tractor with the center console and hydraulic lift/valve (C-1_5 or a 400 model) you could swap out the entire console and save a bunch of work swapping parts.

I am in the process of doing as @19richie66 replacing the GT-14 Sundstrand with a widened Eaton 1100, thread below. 

In your case you wouldn.t be replacing the axle so very little would be changed. You will need the parking brake lever and cam from the donor tractor. The hoses for the hydraulic lift valve on the "C" with a sundstrand will probably be a #4 SAE and the the eaton has #5 SAE so a couple of adaptors will be needed. The brake rod from the "C" acn in all likelihood be adapted to your needs, not a big deal.

The motion control from the Sundstrand can be modified to allow the Eaton's direction change rod to be used, just weld a short arm to the "C" motion control near the pivot point and cut off the part that has the ball that slides the Sundstrand's cam plate as it would interfere with a hydraulic hose from the Eaton. I had to space my rod away from the arm because of a larger replacement hose going to the lift valve, you shouldn't run into that problem. I welded a reinforcement to the motion control prior to cutting the back off. @19richie66 used the direction control lever from the Eaton donor tractor but mine was missing the detent plate for the lever so I stuck with the one on the GT-14. I will do a thread on my swap when everything is buttoned up.

100_4664.JPG.7869f196e726c9bc22e385d04cb67339.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

Much easier to swap an engine than to swap an Eaton into a Sundstrand.       Just sayin Jim.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

Ed,   :confusion-shrug:   where is the fun in doing things the easy way!  You know we all get a great deal more pleasure from accomplishing tasks the difficult way. :ychain:

• Like 3

19richie66

I have a bronco 14 that will get this swap when and if needed. I have all the parts already from previous part outs. I had all the stuff to do Skittles from a 418-A donor so I used the motion linkage from it so I could use all the brake and neutral return linkages as well. Karen’s 1054 was a crapshoot but I used all 520 controls and modified as needed. I will be watching as you do this. At least on this one you do not have to swap the axles for the width differences. I can say it is nice having a working brake. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

oliver2-44

Im not planning to do this right now unless an Eaton falls into my lap. I just wanted to have an idea what might be required before I restore a C series. 
Then again I could check if @Pullstart hauling services has a Texas trip on their calendar  

11 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Ed,   :confusion-shrug:   where is the fun in doing things the easy way!  You know we all get a great deal more pleasure from accomplishing tasks the difficult way. :ychain:

I seems a lot of my “something” comes from doing the easy things the hard way🤣

Now if an Eaton from a 522xi with the 2 speed rear end dropped out of the sky, that would be fun. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1