2drxploder

hello and help with my 520h

2drxploder

hello i just picked up a 520h. would like help the identification of it to start with.

also im not getting spark, but its a mess there.

pic of model and serial included as well as carb id i think.

could not find serial on engine?????

520 serial tag.jpg

520 broken plug wire.jpg

520 carb id.jpg

• Like 2

Sparky

:WRS:

Here’s what you have: 41-20OE03 1992 520-H Garden Tractor Automatic OnanP220G-I/10955C

• Like 2

2drxploder

thats awesome, thank you! so, how does a guy go about translating those numbers for a non-tractor guy?

also as seen in picture i need a muffler, it came that way unfortunately

Edited by 2drxploder
forgot
  • Like 1

lynnmor

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Since you will have a project, start by spraying penetrating oil on any fasteners.  Do it several times a day till the project is complete.  Often these tractors are left outside in the weather and disassembly can be difficult.

Ordinary 7mm spark plug wires will work, check with NAPA and other auto parts stores for a kit.  Get familiar with the vendors found on this site, they may have much of what you need.

Mufflers come up from time to time on the popular auction site, also check with A-Z.  When you get a muffler, bead blast it to remove all rust and loose paint, then repaint with Rustoleum High Heat paint.  These things are getting expensive and finding one in good condition is getting harder, so protect it as best you can.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

squonk

I can make your spark plug wires.Send me the lengths and what boots are  on each end . About $25 plus shipping.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

This type of 8-digit model number explained

• Like 2

2drxploder

So many ads, it took like 10 min to finally be able to click the sign in button on my phone, jeez. Thanks for the help, all good info, plus lots more on here. Still searching for a decent muffler, waiting on ignition parts and fuel to be delivered.  What tires yall recommend? I really like the Carlisle 23x10.5x12 ags for the rear, not sure on front yet.

Edited by 2drxploder
Missed the g in ags

2drxploder

Tank out and cleaned, this horse is dirty. The varnish in the tank was terrible. Some oil-eater and 20x 1/4-20 nuts, some shaking and more shaking, and lots of rinsing. Looks good inside now.  Oil-eater is good stuff! 3 dust pans of general debris hiding in  there too.20230523_171904.jpg.d094c66042c00ff182d4d579349353e4.jpg

20230523_170044.jpg

20230523_170009.jpg

2drxploder

new coil, wires, plugs and other misc stuff came in. installed still no spark. did some research on here, it was wired wrong. both ignition module wires to coil+. condensor was only thing on coil-. my understanding is red from module on coil+, black from ignition module on coil-, condensor on coil+ as well as yellow from voltage rectifier/regulator. if said wiring job was incorrect and my changes are correct, what damage could this do? coil got hot, fast, after a short attempt or 3 at cranking. had a freind over today, his family owned/operated a smell engine repair shop years ago. he spotted the incorrect wiring job, but was unsure of the fix. we found wiring diagram on here, wiring is not either of our favorites.  he suggested a new module, and coil. at $300 for the tractor, and already about $250 deep in small parts, before i purchase the module, which i can only find at $170+/-, im getting deeper than i wanted to be for a non-runner. 

oliver2-44

Before you throw an more  parts $$ at it let the Onan guys here help you diagnosis the real problem. 

• Like 2

Cee245

If you're certain your wiring is correct and cleaned up /making a good connection,  you may want to try this link and follow along. 

I think this is the thread I followed to be certain my issue was the pickup coil under the flywheel. Those are about 175 or so. And not being good at electrical myself, I've been able to make lots of quality repairs to my machines by following this sites Excellent advice! 

Cory

• Like 1

2drxploder

wow, thats alot of information in those few pictures. but i like it! i will have to get busy on it, but unfortunately it will probably be next weekend before i have some time. i also discovered a broken spring on tensioner pulley near fan. thanks

2drxploder

so here is some background info for my wheel horse liking:

my grandfather had a small farm in northern WV and used a 312-8 heavily, tiller, plow, for dirt and snow, thats all i remember he had. my father who recently had a lengthy hospital stay still has the tractor only, slightly restored. he picked up a few tractors over the years to use 4 parts, most recently the c-85 you see in the background of pictures. my brother and i use to abuse the the old 312 pulling wheelies and surprisingly pretty hard trail riding through the woods as children. i brought the c to house in hope of reviving it, buts its more work than i wanted and i think the 500 series is better and i found 1 that i hope works out, think i would of preferred the 8 speed tho. its primary use will be pulling: garden trailer, tarps of leaves, non-running vehicles around the yard. i have an exmark commercial walk behind for the grass cutting. it does not doing very well for pulling. ideally i would like a tiller and a front loader the 520, but i feel like that is far-fetched. long story short i have some history and nostalgia associated with the these working horses. my dads 312 is rear discharge and stripes the lawn just as nice my exmark w/ the stripe kit!

• Like 1

2drxploder

got it fired off on a few drips of gas in the carb. thanks to @Cee245 for the link. just what the doctor ordered. by the way she is named Ruth/Ruthless, in honor of my grandparents, g-ma's name was Ruth and my grandfather worshiped her, his family and farm. his wheel horse was a big part of his small farm, and he loved it!

• Like 1

Cee245

@2drxploder

great that you got it going!  

That link is "pinned" to the top of the "Wheel Horse Electrical"  part of the forum.

There are several really good ones with lots of info on how to diagnose and repair various things.

Maybe want to Check out the Manuals section as well to view your favorite models factory manual. I think there is a lot of overlooked great info in them. 

2drxploder

thx i've already printed a few pages for easy reference along the way! got fuel tank, new lines, filter, and pump on today, as well as exhaust. it runs, idles, changed oil, flushed with about 2qts b4 ading new. new cheap carb. tomorrow ill change hydro oil n filter, maybe tube in right rear.  some minor re-assembly and hopefully go for a cruise through the neighbor hood.

2drxploder

i was wondering if someone could help with vacuum gauge too, might seems to work somewhat, but fluctuates alot. like alot, alot. not sure if it is due to the nature still running a little rough. like whats the normal "status of this gauge" maybe a video?

lynnmor
10 hours ago, 2drxploder said:

i was wondering if someone could help with vacuum gauge too, might seems to work somewhat, but fluctuates alot. like alot, alot. not sure if it is due to the nature still running a little rough. like whats the normal "status of this gauge" maybe a video?

It is a simple vacuum gauge and will read towards the minimum horsepower at idle and towards the maximum horsepower as demand increases.  Replace the hose from engine to gauge and try again, if the flutter is still there you can try a vacuum used for testing engines.  Since the engine is still running rough, you have a problem so do a compression test and report back.

Oh, and good luck with that cheap carb.

• Like 1

2drxploder

I was able to put Ruth to work this weekend. Had Friday off. she runs a lil rough with the cheap carb, who would have thought? But i know it runs, and works! hooked the garden trailer to it, and cleaned out the shed, hauled some trash/bulk recyclables, and curb giveaways, to the curb for the local scrap guy, and trash pick-up. also moved a large pile of cinder blocks. she transported tools to and from the shop, nice to just pull a trailer full in, leave for night, and pull it back out in the morning. the shed got tore down, it was really rotten, did not put a fight. the charging system still not working, but i didn't even try yet. the carb likes to idle and run, nothing in-between. overall i am very satisfied. all totaled so far i'm less than a thousand into a workhorse i will have for a long time hopefully. more work to come, but that is part of the fun. also the better half got to drive it today, and she approves!