Wheelhorse#1

K181 loosing power

Wheelhorse#1

I have a problem with my4 speed b80.It looses steam with mower deck engaged as well as just putting around unless its flat.I did put bigger tires and wheel weights.

Compression is over 150,it has fresh rings and rebuilt carb and pump.Runs great otherwise.

I have never used this machine to cut grass before ,issue was probly always there just noticed.  

Im leaning towards governor issue ,maybe not adjusted correctly  ? Too much weight ,tires too big ?

It will cut and does a great job but its a struggle.

Any ideas folks ?

thx 

IMG_6332.jpeg

IMG_6295.jpeg

Edited by Wheelhorse#1

squonk

How did you set the timing? I.ve had a couple of engines where they seemed to struggle and were louder than most. Timing was way late on both of them

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

Wheelhorse#1
9 minutes ago, squonk said:

How did you set the timing? I.ve had a couple of engines where they seemed to struggle and were louder than most. Timing was way late on both of them

Top dead center with feeler gage.  

JoeM

I have a C85 that runs the same. Actually, took the deck off and though something was dragging but it is good.

I can't remember what I set the points. Mike @squonk might have the answer. I am going to check this one. I like setting them a little tight. Seems to make them run better. 

I was selling this machine and had to tell the buyer it was anemic and he would not be happy. So right now it is just sitting.  

• Like 1

squonk
1 hour ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

Top dead center with feeler gage.  

I would reset them like this 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Wheelhorse#1

Ok got it fingered out.Two things.The throttle cable was too short so the adjustment on the gubbner was off as well. She's running like she should now.

Had to retire the old 71 800 special grass cutter for now.The briggs on that one is just about ready to give up the ghost, not sure how but that old briggs 8hp it just keeps a running but the smoke got to be a bit too much !

I swapped out the deck and rear wheels off the 800 and installed the on the B80.

I may bring the 800 special to the big show if anyone is interested please let me know...pic below .

IMG_6302.jpeg

IMG_6290.jpeg

Edited by Wheelhorse#1

adsm08

The K181 in my 855 just started doing almost the same thing  yesterday out of the blue.

I took that as a sign to do my bi-annual fuel system cleaning, as the sediment bowl and fuel tank outlet regularly clog with debris from the inside of the tank. I cleaned the sediment bowl thoroughly made sure the fuel line was clear, clean the carb bowl, checked float, made sure the main jet was clear, and opened the fuel pump and make sure there was no tank debris caught in it. Now instead of running well and just loosing all power when you start cutting grass it runs rough and is smoking.

adsm08
On 5/14/2023 at 12:33 PM, Wheelhorse#1 said:

Ok got it fingered out.Two things.The throttle cable was too short so the adjustment on the gubbner was off as well. She's running like she should now.

Had to retire the old 71 800 special grass cutter for now.The briggs on that one is just about ready to give up the ghost, not sure how but that old briggs 8hp it just keeps a running but the smoke got to be a bit too much !

I swapped out the deck and rear wheels off the 800 and installed the on the B80.

I may bring the 800 special to the big show if anyone is interested please let me know...pic below .

IMG_6302.jpeg

IMG_6290.jpeg

I have a very similar (but not as nice looking) 800 Special with the same engine that I want to get rid of. Engine leaks a bit, but didn't smoke when I ran it last, if you'd be interested.

I want rid of the whole unit, but if you just want it for the engine I don't care what you do with the rest.

Edited by adsm08