Mike'sHorseBarn

Patina Preserver on a C-160

Mike'sHorseBarn

Finally got this c-160 hydro going this weekend. It's been sitting since the late 90's if the battery date is a correct indicator. Needed a new transmission, but the engine is good and strong. Needed a good carb cleaning too! Anyway, I don't want to restore this right away, but I may in the future. What is a good patina preserver that won't ruin my chances of a future restoration? I've been looking at shine juice from vice grip garage, but I wanted to see what you all were using.

20230506_163551.jpg.ac1b75ecce974098154d6d403ca693b3.jpg

20230506_151727.jpg.5e32c244f21db4a4a17503e4623171fd.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Excellent save!!

I'll be following along to see what the folks recommend. 

• Like 2

peter lena

@MIKE,S HORSE BARN  .  been doing this for years , simple easy , just stops rust and preserves paint , that carb , use 2 fuel filters on your hook up and STABIL in all your fuel , pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JCM

Some before and after pics from a 1977  C-120  8 speed from the original owner delivering it with the original paint. Used simple green cleaner, wiped it down with clean hot water with a grout sponge, let it dry. then did a light scrub with scotch bright pad. Wiped off dust and used 2 or 3 coats of WD-40 on a clean cotton rag. Some guys don't like the WD because later on if they decide to repaint they say it is a pain to get it all off. I prefer original paint and this C Series was a prime candidate for leaving it original. Apply additional WD when ever you feel the need to feed the paint, it works. JMO  Peter Lena also has some great ideas on the topic too. Good luck

P1012666.JPG

IMG_0814.JPG

IMG_0797.JPG

IMG_0798.JPG

DSCN0121.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

squonk

Penetrol 

tr1.jpg.4aa053dfb184dd6c7676f69723157ac8.jpg

Amazon.com: 1 gal Flood FLD4 Penetrol Oil-Based Exterior Paint Additive :  Tools & Home Improvement

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Mike'sHorseBarn

I'm liking what I'm seeing! Keep it coming!

• Like 2

oliver2-44

I've been doing the WD40 on my C160. It doesn't last a long time.  

• Like 1

Charbs152

marvel mystery oil

• Like 4

Mike'sHorseBarn
45 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

I've been doing the WD40 on my C160. It doesn't last a long time.  

Yea I've heard that from several people off here too. Don't think I'm gonna go the wd 40 route.

• Like 1

peter lena

@JCM looks good to me , as you know , when you pick up a used horse , the neglect , and just about everything , just trying to get it clean along the way , a paint soak is one of the things I  do first , the oil soak is working without any time or effort , while  i am doing   something else . recent savage / sale I did , was a wreck everywhere, guy that bought it , thought it looked " clean " . it also started right up and had a total lubrication / refresh . and wiring update . your fleet tells me you know what is needed , nice work , pete 

• Like 2

953 nut

The seat on your C-160 looks amazing.  Don't know what product to recommend off the shelf at retail stores but Eastwood has a product that I have used on Vinyl Dashboard covers in the past with good results.   https://www.eastwood.com/griot-s-garage-vinyl-rubber-dressing-22oz-10981.html

oliver2-44

Someone? on here @wallfish @Shuboxlover used a wipe on patina product that was sort of like a clearcoat permanent, but maybe not as thick as a full clearcoat. I seem to recall this being a year or two ago.  maybe on a rat rod project?  Does anyone else remember this? 

Edit

Found it @Mike'sHorseBarn

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2