ohiofarmer

Do your homework-- use the Demystification guide

ohiofarmer

Well, I had some moments with the 314-8 73400 model 590000serial

series. I think that makes it a 94 or 95 model.   . The de-mist guide suggests skipping past some steps and doing the simple tests first. It was not until I had figured out how to make that tractor run that i figured out an emergency repair that would allow me to get the yard mowed.

All the things electrical that had previously done were on the coil,points, and condenser models , and that christmas tree full of lights was not working at all and it had previously worked. i took the battery and then the key switch out and the switch had heavy corrosion on it. The De mist guide called out no continuity on off position, but i knew that one of the pins at the back of the switch grounded out the mag and killed the spark then on start position there were three pins that connected and three different ones on the run position So a bad switch for sure.

On a mag style engine, it will keep running, so I could pull the spark plug wire to shut it down if needed. The machine would not run with the blade engaged, so I knew i could start it with a jumper and maybe have to ground it out on the kill circuit from the back of the key switch. so with the key switch removed and knowing which connector pin operated the kill and start circuit, the whole shebang ran with the application of current to the start pin and application of ground to the kill circuit.Without the key installed, the blade engagement did not kill the circuit.

Of course, it is a good idea to have a fuse in the jump wire in case you make a mistake. I learned that the hard way years back messing around with honda seventies motorcycles. Five or ten amps is plenty of fuse when the tractor has solenoid protected circuits as does the modern series of tractors.

What really is outstanding about Redsquare is that the file moderator put up an in color wiring diagram for another member that i ran across. it was a much better diagram than i previously found an then it started making more sense

• Like 3

953 nut
5 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

outstanding about Redsquare is that the file moderator put up an in color wiring diagram for another member that i ran across. it was a much better diagram than i previously found

:text-yeahthat:             Garry, @gwest_ca is the best. He has done so many things to help us that he would be my nominee for man of the century if we had such a thing.

Man of the Century (1999) - Awards - IMDb

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

Blasterdad
On 4/20/2023 at 1:39 PM, ohiofarmer said:

On a mag style engine, it will keep running, so I could pull the spark plug wire to shut it down if needed.

I'm glad you got it figured out, :thumbs:

Just a word of caution though, pulling the plug wire on a magneto engine can fry the mag...:scared-shocked:

“If you dry-fire it without a wire attached to direct the spark, the current will seek out the weakest point in the magneto and cause damage or dissipate in the coil and ruin it,”

ohiofarmer
On 4/21/2023 at 3:12 PM, Blasterdad said:

I'm glad you got it figured out, :thumbs:

Just a word of caution though, pulling the plug wire on a magneto engine can fry the mag...:scared-shocked:

“If you dry-fire it without a wire attached to direct the spark, the current will seek out the weakest point in the magneto and cause damage or dissipate in the coil and ruin it,”

ohiofarmer

Thanks for that. I can always use the seat switch or some other safety. Better yet, just use another tractor until my new switch and extra switch arrive.  I think I will order at least two of each type to have some spares..  There are spare tractors available once the decks are mounted.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

I also should mention that the wiring diagram saved me from ordering the wrong part.. The switch in question was clearly labeled a 116338 on the wiring diagram and at about ten bucks from the jungle website. Toro wants close to fifty for the OEM. Even the original parts are not great as they are all indak as far as I know. i made sure that the switch I ordered was labeled on the back so that it and the wiring diagram are in agreement.. I ordered two switches and a new rear connector piece to hopefully do a like new restoration

And on Edit, the switches were delivered 36 hours later and all is good. I finished by testing and with my can of non-ethanol, the 314 pulled the 48" deck like a champ in secong gear high range. i think that travel speed is faster than the square hood C160s I have, but cannot be sure

Edited by ohiofarmer