cafoose

Mastering one of the hardest tasks on a Wheel Horse

cafoose

I guess I can say I passed one of the tests of mastering one of the hardest things to do on a wheel horse tractor. I removed the hubs from the axles. :banana-wrench: I found a round half inch steel plate on eBay to make a puller and I drilled holes in it for the half inch bolts and a 1-in hole in the center for the 1-in puller bolt. :tools-hammerdrill: My Dewalt 1/2 inch battery impact gun is comparable to an air impact gun :music-rockout: I measured the distance between the hub and the puller at each bolt to make sure it was even so it would pull evenly. I used a wrench to hold the nut in between the hub and puller. Then I used the impact to tighten the bolt pulling off the hub. I had to use a little heat off my rosebud tip on my oxy acetylene bottles to heat the one hub red hot before it would come off. :happy-bouncyredfire: The other side came off without heat. I did soak them for at least a week with penetrating oil before trying to pull them off. :banana-linedance:

20230324_195759.jpg

20230324_195806.jpg

20230401_164731.jpg

20230401_165648.jpg

20230324_195748.jpg

20230401_170705.jpg

20230401_170727.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

Sailman

Great job! Can you explain the set up in the center of the hub a bit more for me? How does the socket, bolt and nut work to push against the axle? I'm just kinds slow on the uptake......:confusion-confused:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

image.jpeg.55301fcd5123f6e805b0d5addd47847d.jpeg

Hitch pin is already out and the GT-14 steering wheel doesn't have a roll pin so you are having a great day.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

cafoose
24 minutes ago, Sailman said:

Great job! Can you explain the set up in the center of the hub a bit more for me? How does the socket, bolt and nut work to push against the axle? I'm just kinds slow on the uptake......:confusion-confused:

The socket is to take up space between the end of the axle and the end of the puller bolt. The bolt I used wasn't long enough to push on the end of the axle to pull the hub off so I used the socket so I could use the same bolt during the whole process. I got the idea for the puller from @daveoman1966 and here is his post explaining the process. Post #3

• Excellent 1

953 nut

If you place the body of a inexpensive Harmonic Balancer puller between the hub and plate then use the drive bolt furnished with it you will have several inches of working range.

Autocraft Harmonic Balancer Puller

20230324_195748.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sailman

OK I am getting there..the example from @daveoman1966 seems to use the bolts through the hub as the pullers and using the center bolt stationary to whack (shock) the axle. Your model seems to use the center bolt as the "puller" and the bolts through the hub are stationary. I guess either option works??

• Like 1

cafoose

The center bolt on both pull and the hub bolts are stationary. I didn't whack because the hammer action on my impact did that for me. Dave tightened the center bolt to pull and so did I.