Bill D

A couple of Onan questions

Bill D

I picked up a low hour, (189.6) abandoned 416h yesterday.  Does anyone know what size the o-ring is that seals the carb to the air cleaner?  Mines cracked and I expected it to break in pieces when I remove it there by making it useless for sizing at the hardware store.  Also, the voltage regulator is missing.  Has anyone tried used a regulator from a Kawasaki as a replacement?  I have a couple here and thought about trying them.  Can anyone tell me if this engine has the governor spacer with the tab?  Thanks.

KIMG2121.JPG

KIMG2122.JPG

KIMG2120.JPG

KIMG2116.JPG

KIMG2123.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

grinchsr

Glad you rescued it.  I am sure you will do something with it.

Achto
5 hours ago, Bill D said:

Has anyone tried used a regulator from a Kawasaki as a replacement?

Hopefully I do not disrupt your post, but I have wondered this myself. As long as the regulator / rectifier has the correct AC & DC voltage rating and the correct amp rating, it really should not be a problem. If you know that ratings are with in spec, the manufacturer of the reg/rec should not matter. Other than maybe a mounting issue. 

• Like 3

WHX??

The regulators are available in the jungle and fleabay. Very reasonable. They might be listed as JD replacements. 

There are Onan parts & service manuals in the files section. Find the Onan part numbers for what you need then plug them into Google. You'll find your o-ring as there are Onan parts sellers out there. 

Check the nine pin connector & fuse block carefully for issues. 

Gotta like your I V bottle there Bill!

953 nut
6 hours ago, Bill D said:

, the voltage regulator is missing.  Has anyone tried used a regulator from a Kawasaki as a replacement?

As long as you can get the fins into the flywheel housing for cooling and the AC and DC connections will make up it should work.

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

The regulators are available in the jungle and fleabay.

I've used these on my P220s.   Still working after 10 years.    Under $20 when I got mine.

lynnmor

Just buy a regulator from one of the popular shopping sites, they are cheap.  Measure the groove for the o-ring and buy at a local hardware or auto parts store, another option is McMaster-Carr.  Some cheap rebuild kits contain the o-ring as well.

Bill D
On 3/28/2023 at 7:27 AM, grinchsr said:

Glad you rescued it.  I am sure you will do something with it.

What exactly I don't know yet.

grinchsr

They are hard to leave behind in any condition. 

• Haha 1

Bill D
2 hours ago, grinchsr said:

They are hard to leave behind in any condition. 

I know where another one is too, not sure what it is.

grinchsr

If it’s in Ct it’s mine no crossing the border. :ph34r::ph34r:

• Haha 3

Bill D
20 hours ago, grinchsr said:

If it’s in Ct it’s mine no crossing the border. :ph34r::ph34r:

It's about two miles down the road from me.  Unfortunately the neighborhood starts to go down hill in that area as it's walking distance from the housing projects. Probably going to pass on stopping to ask about that one, not worth the personal risk.  Unfortunately you can't save them all.

lynnmor
1 hour ago, Bill D said:

It's about two miles down the road from me.  Unfortunately the neighborhood starts to go down hill in that area as it's walking distance from the housing projects. Probably going to pass on stopping to ask about that one, not worth the personal risk.  Unfortunately you can't save them all.

I once bought a paired set of Honda generators that turned out to be a very good deal.  Like you, I was hesitant about going into "that area" but one day I was near and said to SWMBO that I will take a chance.  I was armed and SWMBO covered me from the car with her piece.  Turned out it was a Vietnam veteran that had issues but the end result was great.  I am glad that met the hero, and I say hero because I spent a bit of time listening to his stories.

• Excellent 1

kpinnc
On 3/28/2023 at 7:28 AM, Achto said:

Other than maybe a mounting issue. 

The guys here have nailed the answer for you. Just make sure whatever you use is compatible with the higher AC voltage of the Onan. You never want more than about 15-16VDC output.

The other issue I'd be concerned with is if you can't fit your rectifier in the slot on the shroud, be sure you close the hole up so the rear cylinder cooling remains effective.

• Like 1

Bill D

I decided to test this voltage regulator I had from a Kawasaki on the Onan.  So far it's working great.  Put out 14.25 VDC regardless of engine speed. I have to make a better mounting plate to seal off the opening.  I will post pictures when done.KIMG2157.JPG.2d8875012153cefb9a045d350569d106.JPG

• Excellent 2

Bill D
Just now, Bill D said:

I decided to test this voltage regulator I had from a Kawasaki on the Onan.  So far it's working great.  Puts out 14.25 VDC regardless of engine speed. I have to make a better mounting plate to seal off the opening.  I'll post pictures when done.KIMG2157.JPG.2d8875012153cefb9a045d350569d106.JPG

johnnymag3

Make sure you ground that regulator better.....           :tools-wrench:            With all that rust I would not rely on the 2 screws that hold it in to be a great source under vibration.

Just a suggestion....  :) ....    you know how fussy I am with Grounds and Grease !!!   

John      :greetings-clappingyellow:

Bill D
12 hours ago, johnnymag3 said:

Make sure you ground that regulator better.....           :tools-wrench:            With all that rust I would not rely on the 2 screws that hold it in to be a great source under vibration.

Just a suggestion....  :) ....    you know how fussy I am with Grounds and Grease !!!   

John      :greetings-clappingyellow:

It's not done yet.  I plan to make an adapter plate from stainless steel to mount it on.  

• Like 1

johnnymag3
10 hours ago, Bill D said:
23 hours ago, johnnymag3 said:

It's not done yet.  I plan to make an adapter plate from stainless steel to mount it on.

I know..... I know..... just keeping you on your toes...:thumbs:... When are you going to see Ray?

Bill D
On 3/28/2023 at 8:00 AM, WHX?? said:

The regulators are available in the jungle and fleabay. Very reasonable. They might be listed as JD replacements. 

There are Onan parts & service manuals in the files section. Find the Onan part numbers for what you need then plug them into Google. You'll find your o-ring as there are Onan parts sellers out there. 

Check the nine pin connector & fuse block carefully for issues. 

Gotta like your I V bottle there Bill!

The 9 pin and fuse block are in great shape.  I add a fuse and run an extra wire from the voltage regulator to the battery positive on the starter.  This takes the charging load off the 9 pin.  I'll add LED headlights as well.  The three pins most likely to burn up in the 9 pin are the battery positive, charging pin and head light pin.  Fuse block has been cleaned and Noalox applied to all connections.

Edited by Bill D
  • Excellent 1

Bill D

Adapter plate for the Kawasaki voltage regulator.  I had the regulator and metal to make the adapter plate.  Seems to be working fine so far.

KIMG2161.JPG

KIMG2160.JPG

• Excellent 1

Bill D

Does anyone know what size the breather hose is?  The hose on my recently acquired 416 is stiff and dry and needs to be replaced.  Looks like 11/32" diameter but I haven't had a chance to measure.  Just wondering if anyone happened to know.