SylvanLakeWH

Miles to Go Before She Sleeps...

SylvanLakeWH
10 minutes ago, Achto said:

Great Googly Moogly!!! Poor @SylvanLakeWH won't get to have any wrenchin' fun on his mower, Jim will have it all done before Sylvia even gets to shake hands with it. :ychain::D

image.gif.924b955c0d496479f119e0a23082595b.gif

I'm just glad it's not in line behind @ebinmaine's Colossus... :scared-eek:

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Haha 6

WHX??
4 hours ago, Achto said:

Great Googly Moogly!!! Poor @SylvanLakeWH won't get to have any wrenchin' fun on his mower, Jim will have it all done before Sylvia even gets to shake hands with it. :ychain::D

Well I'm just thinkin be someone best qualified to bring it back to life... I spent years on battery powered submarines... :teasing-neener:... this is a cake walk...

• Excellent 2

SylvanLakeWH
22 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Well I'm just thinkin be someone best qualified to bring it back to life... I spent years on battery powered submarines... :teasing-neener:... this is a cake walk...

Please feel free to get it back in shape, but please... don't take it for any submarine swim lessons... that would end badly... :scared-eek:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??

Bad news again Sylvia... well maybe not. 

I found an unused plug near the ignition switch that is empty.  Deductive reasoning brought me to the fact this is a plug for a diode that feeds the mower blades. I don't know what it's purpose is yet but I will find out. 

All in the IPL/manual I downloaded... Dan... any ideas what this diode does?

Guessing you are just gonna use this girl for train pulling but don't wanna see ya let the smoke out of anything. 

20230327_115435.jpg

• Confused 1

WHX??

Oh ...and hey guys... don't go on a score like this when yer co pilot has had a greasy Wisconsin fish fry the night before.... :laughing-rolling:

20230326_090903.jpg

• Haha 4

Handy Don
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Please feel free to get it back in shape, but please... don't take it for any submarine swim lessons... that would end badly... :scared-eek:

My Dad wouldn’t let us young’uns use the riding lawnmower near the pond. Had to use the push mower. Well you already know that one day he’s using the rider and gets too close to the soft edge and in he goes atop the mower which fully submerged. We laughed ourselves silly at the show (in his defense, he did get the irony and wasn’t angry at us, only himself). Interestingly, the repair shop was able to revive that mower and it went for several more years before it ventilated the block one hot summer day.

• Haha 3

SylvanLakeWH
8 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Bad news again Sylvia... well maybe not. 

I found an unused plug near the ignition switch that is empty.  Deductive reasoning brought me to the fact this is a plug for a diode that feeds the mower blades. I don't know what it's purpose is yet but I will find out. 

All in the IPL/manual I downloaded... Dan... any ideas what this diode does?

Guessing you are just gonna use this girl for train pulling but don't wanna see ya let the smoke out of anything. 

20230327_115435.jpg

Ugh...

You are correct, Not gonna mow with it, but still would like things to function as intended... Apparently NOS sometimes means Not Original Stock... :(

Parade duty and kids use is the goal, so blade was actually going to be removed. But do need to be sure what's what...

Again - I thank you for your help! 

WHX??

I was going to suggest taking off the deck for a train puller but that might be easier said than done. It appears that the deck is hard wired to the tractor. 

Good news is the deck rides higher in transport than the earlier gas tubs where the deck rollers drag the ground even when lifted. 

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

Looks like it attaches with 4 - 6 bolts and a disconnect for wires... Will see how it performs with deck on it  and go from there...

F18410B2-7370-4CD1-B5C5-E06BC495A354.png.8e84e041f4a1ec650d99f53f8667528b.png

Handy Don
20 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Looks like it attaches with 4 - 6 bolts and a disconnect for wires... Will see how it performs with deck on it  and go from there...

I would NOT discount that the deck was designed to impart an important measure of structural rigidity to the overall machine.

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH
Just now, Handy Don said:

I would NOT discount that the deck was designed to impart an important measure of structural rigidity to the overall machine.

Good point. I have seen pictures of other A-60s deckless, but that doesn't mean it's safe or good to do... For my use it may be best to just keep the deck on and disconnect the blade motors... Kids do like to play with switches...

• Like 1

Handy Don
12 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Kids do like to play with switches...

Repurpose the switch to something cool, even -- lights, sound, action! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Good news and bad Sylvia...

The deck will come off with removal of four hitch pins. Ther is a carrier on the front that is already disconnected, # 20, pin fell out maybe?? Same thing as 60s gas tubs.

Motors have handy dandy Don plugs and she's off.

Bad news is the diode, PN 104272, is discontinued, nada, zip, zilch, unobtainius, no mas. 

Unless a guy got blind $h!% house lucky and found a nos at a dealer?

OR one can find the electrical specs on what it should be you be in business to :chores-mowlawn:. Well you won't but maybe yer great great grand kids! :)

I'll post a wiring diagram in electrical and maybe one of the fellas who is a DC motor guru can help out what it's purpose is. 

Edited by WHX??
Speeling
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

That's not the end of the world, but I've heard better news... :(

For my purposes it's gonna be fine... :handgestures-thumbupright:

Again thanks for all the figurin' out!!! 

WHX??
6 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Again thanks for all the figurin' out!!! 

No problem...it's what I enjoy doing... maybe get that tire fixed tomorrow so the missus can push it around easier...:laughing-rolling:

• Haha 2

SylvanLakeWH
22 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

so the missus can push it around easier...:laughing-rolling:

Now that there is funny... :ROTF:

• Haha 1

gwest_ca

Have the batteries ever been loaded with acid?

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
4 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

We don't think so. They are still shrink wrapped. I intend to keep them and use new deep cells.

Edited by SylvanLakeWH

WHX??
10 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

No definitely not. There are seals over the caps and factory orange plugs under the caps sealing the fill holes. 

20230327_083916.jpg

• Thanks 1

Achto
On 3/28/2023 at 6:22 PM, WHX?? said:

Bad news is the diode, PN 104272, is discontinued, nada, zip, zilch, unobtainius, no mas. 

A diode is nothing more than a check valve for electricity, you know this Jim. The diodes that I posted pics of should work just fine. Use the larger one, over kill will not hurt in this application.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

I have some from fixing techy regulators I'll send along. 

Anyone have the other half to that plug?