JCM

Mt Katahdin

JCM

Have never hiked it , but it is one of my favorite Mountains in Maine.

P9010254.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4
  • Heart 1

c-series don

Looks beautiful Jim, what lake is that in the foreground? 

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

North end of the Appalachian Trail.

• Like 2

JCM

Possibly Dolby Pond. That picture was taken in 2006. Last July we took the camper up to Mt Chase just north of Patten Maine to a good friends hunting camp. This pic was taken at Medway Maine lookout. Stopped there last July and we could not get a pic because of the weather. Don't get up that way much anymore. Have a friend who lives in Portage Lake Maine north of MT Chase also. This pic is at the same spot of me taking a picture of Patti taking a picture of Mt Katahdin in the clouds 16 years later. @c-series don

p

20220922_170010.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, JCM said:

hiked it

We've been up that one. 

Beautiful place. 

Back in August 2016 Trina and I went with 2 others. 

Stayed 4 nights at a base campground. 

We went up that behemoth twice in 3 days. The second time we also climbed Hamlin Peak. 

16 miles that day!!

Here's an old metal can of Neatsfoot. 

One of us was looking down and around and between the boulders as we ascended. It was setting 6 or 8 feet down a hole. Our friend climbed down in and picked this and a couple other things out.  

IMG_20230325_071523254_HDR.jpg.56627440f1ea8006d96c2acfcd801fe2.jpg

Our postcard from the trip.  

IMG_20230325_071509737.jpg.56c24aa408970ca4bd3be85d53fd4d80.jpg

• Like 5
  • Heart 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

North end of the Appalachian Trail.

The through hikers are on their way!   Franklin NC where I live is a few day's hike from Springer Mountain GA where the Appalachian Trail begins. For the past couple of weeks we have been visited by hundreds of ambitious hikers who spend a night off trail and pick up provisions here before heading on. The warmer than average March weather has let them get an early start. Franklin businesses go out of their way to accommodate hikers and the town has been designated as an Appalachian Trail Community.

https://appalachiantrail.com/places/franklin-nc-an-appalachian-trail-community/

https://www.visitsmokies.org/the-friendliest-stop-along-the-appalachian-trail-be-a-lazy-hiker-awhile/

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
42 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

The through hikers are on their way!   Franklin NC where I live is a few day's hike from Springer Mountain GA where the Appalachian Trail begins. For the past couple of weeks we have been visited by hundreds of ambitious hikers who spend a night off trail and pick up provisions here before heading on. The warmer than average March weather has let them get an early start. Franklin businesses go out of their way to accommodate hikers and the town has been designated as an Appalachian Trail Community.

https://appalachiantrail.com/places/franklin-nc-an-appalachian-trail-community/

https://www.visitsmokies.org/the-friendliest-stop-along-the-appalachian-trail-be-a-lazy-hiker-awhile/

VERY cool. !!!

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
51 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

The through hikers are on their way!

Great story Richard.    I hope their feet get toughened up by the time they get to Pa. this summer.    We will be waiting with heat, thorns, rocky terrain, rattlesnakes, and black bears. They can enjoy some good ice cream at Boiling Springs.       I have covered most of the AT in WVA., Md., and Pa.    On 3-4  day trips with our Boy Scout Troop#35.  We covered 12-15 mile /day.

Many great memories from those hikes.    I remember one section we planned to hike that I didn't want to miss, but I had to be in Lausanne Switzerland for a meeting before the hike would have been finished.     So a few days before we started the hike, I deposited a car along the trail with my luggage.  We hiked three days to get to the car, I drove directly to the airport and made my flight.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Our friend climbed down in and picked this and a couple other things out.  

IMG_20230325_071523254_HDR.jpg.56627440f1ea8006d96c2acfcd801fe2.jpg

Great hiker etiquette leaving the trail cleaner than you found it.

The Boy Scout troop I helped with adopted the Outward Bound camping guidelines for ultra-low impact camping. I recall the mixed reaction to the mealtime food discard guidance--NONE. Consume ALL you make. Swish the pot with hot water and consume. Swish your eating bowl with hot water and consume.

We’d also scour our campsites and usually come back with a trashbag or two of debris from previous campers. As leaders we could see that these concrete actions were making a real impression on the scouts.

• Heart 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Great hiker etiquette leaving the trail cleaner than you found it.

The Boy Scout troop I helped with adopted the Outward Bound camping guidelines for ultra-low impact camping. I recall the mixed reaction to the mealtime food discard guidance--NONE. Consume ALL you make. Swish the pot with hot water and consume. Swish your eating bowl with hot water and consume.

We’d also scour our campsites and usually come back with a trashbag or two of debris from previous campers. As leaders we could see that these concrete actions were making a real impression on the scouts.

When we hike or explore back country we almost always find "trail treasures". Trash. 

If course the can above is certainly more of a momento. We've kept a few things like that as well.  

For our cleaning we try to scrape the pans n dishes as close to dry as possible. They're then brought some distance from base camp (to keep wildlife away) and dry cleaned with sand mud moss pine needles etc.  

Most of our little trash we have is incinerated.