ri702bill

HY-2 Vent Question

ri702bill

For those that have a HY-2 or HY-3.... Is it OK to replace the 1/4" NPT pipe plug at the top of the pump with either a sintered bronze vent, or better yet - a Goretex Patch vent that vets air vent in or out, but keeps oil in and moisture out ?? I'll be using mine soon.....

Bill

Achto

They did not have a vented cap from the factory. Why do you wish to use a vented cap??

• Like 1

ri702bill

Seems to be a sealed system. The gear pump generates heat in use, will cause a pressure buildup inside. The seals take it to a point and then leak.

Did you see my post last year about the persistant leak in the summer my old Ariens SnoThro gearbox had - same thing. I pulled the fill plug in August - woosh - the gearbox WAS pressurized!! I introduced 5 PSI of air in the fill, drilled a tiny hole in the upper casting - no drill chips inside.... Bought a strip of 20mm diameter Goretex Self stick Patches - cleaned the area, applied one.

Used it this year for the one and only storm we had - no issues, no leaks then, no leaks after last August when I refilled it..... used something very similar at work.....

P1010172.JPG

P1010174.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Achto
1 hour ago, ri702bill said:

Seems to be a sealed system. The gear pump generates heat in use, will cause a pressure buildup inside. The seals take it to a point and then leak.

A vented cap does not sound like a bad idea to solve the pressure build up. 

I have a Century Fox hydraulic pump on my Raider 12. Same thing as a :wh: HY pump, Made by Hien Werner. My Raider has just over 100hrs on it since I restored it. Most of the hours were spent pulling a mold board plow, sometimes for hours on end. I have never had an issue with leaks.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ri702bill
1 hour ago, Achto said:

A vented cap does not sound like a bad idea to solve the pressure build up. 

I have a Century Fox hydraulic pump on my Raider 12. Same thing as a :wh: HY pump, Made by Hien Werner. My Raider has just over 100hrs on it since I restored it. Most of the hours were spent pulling a mold board plow, sometimes for hours on end. I have never had an issue with leaks.

Good to know. The HY-2 is all new to me - just "what if'n" the setup... What a PIA to get filled and bled !! We used Gerotor Hi Pressure pumps on the Gundrills I used to build - there was an adjustable pressure "pop-off" line back to the main tank if the buildup of presure running, but no in use, got too high...

Lane Ranger
5 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Good to know. The HY-2 is all new to me - just "what if'n" the setup... What a PIA to get filled and bled !! We used Gerotor Hi Pressure pumps on the Gundrills I used to build - there was an adjustable pressure "pop-off" line back to the main tank if the buildup of presure running, but no in use, got too high...

I use to use a turkey baster to fill fluid in some of my Hein Werner pumps.   The original. 953 version did not have a plug on the top of the fluid container.   And yes. it was a slow process filling one of these containers!

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Might want to talk with @wheelhorseman too he is some what of a guru on these HYs. In other words me thinks he hoards them. :ychain:

My 1267 plow mule has a HY off a 953 with no leak issues either. 

4 hours ago, ri702bill said:

We used Gerotor Hi Pressure pumps on the Gundrills I used to build 

Forget what you know about them ... I have no clue what a Gundrill is but a Hein-Werner is not one of them. 

Apply the KISS principle here. These HYs were as simple as one could get and they worked. Best to keep them that way and not over think them. 

Signed

Keep it Original :)

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1

ri702bill
10 hours ago, WHX?? said:

I have no clue what a Gundrill

A gundrill is a precision Machine Tool used to drill deep holes straight  in one pass( definition of a deep hole is one where the depth is at least 10X the diameter of the tool doing the cutting

a  1/4" hole would be at least 2-1/2"  deep) As the name states, originally used to machine the bore of Rifle Barrels. The drill is hollow, coolant is pumped thru it up to the cutting edge of the tip - chips are flushed bach away from the cut... The finished cut is straight - usually no more than .0002 inch per foot from center !!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1