Dan.gerous

416 - 8 project - not starting

Dan.gerous
8 hours ago, Lagersolut said:

@lynnmor @Lagersolut I never thought about water getting in, I wonder if thats what caused the melting?

Will be in town today so can have a look and see what's available in store, otherwise mail order is next.

• Like 1

lynnmor

The contacts are just cheap brass with no plating so corrosion can happen.  I use No-Ox on all electrical connections to preserve them.  Some use dielectric grease, but I don't use that because it might insulate too much and may not have as much corrosion inhibitors. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Sailman

Looks like you could take the fuse block loose and access the wires. Use a short jumper with alligator clips to connect the 2 wires and bypass each fuse just to see if the tractor will start. Helps to isolate if the problem is the fuse box connections. If that solves the problem replace the fuse box OR another option is just put inline fuse connectors on the wires that have a bad fuse box connection.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/blister-pack/lighting---electrical/fuses---flashers/fuse-holder--universal-/8c82836bc809/littelfuse-blister-pack-fuse-holder/lit3/fny20bp?pos=11

Lee1977

I used the single rubber fuse box with the pigtails and water cap.  You most likely have a problem in the 9 pin connector most every one else has. I pulled the power wile and the starting wire out of my  9 pin and soldered them together, I'll fix it if I never have to remove the engine.

Edited by Lee1977

Dan.gerous
22 hours ago, peter lena said:

@Dangerous  think if you jump over the plastic connection point you will be good, on the other hand if you feel better with someone that has some electrical experience , might be better , pete

Jumped the dodgy fuse, but it didn't make any difference. The smaller jumper wire got hot though!

Haven't had a chance to try and turn engine over as needed workshop for another job.

• Thanks 1

Dan.gerous

No progress today, was up all night with the cows calving.

Everytime we thought it was OK, another cow would walk past with legs hanging out the back  - so had to wait until it gave birth to get the calf away for its first drink - and so on.

Finally got away at 03:30, luckily had today off to recover some sleep.

Who would want to be a farmers husband?!

• Like 1