AHS

82 Wheelhorse C175

WHGuy413
2 hours ago, AHS said:

I know!! You know that feeling when you got a killer deal and you wanna get out of the sellers driveway asap!! Your driving thru town and hoping the cops don’t catch you for having no trailer lights! :D

Oh I’ve been there done that! I got my all original rj-58 for a score and couldn’t get outta there fast enough.

• Excellent 1

WHX??
3 hours ago, AHS said:

I know!! You know that feeling when you got a killer deal and you wanna get out of the sellers driveway asap!! 

Same with my last score. Bit too fast tho ... missed a bucket of parts that had the mower blades in it!

3 hours ago, AHS said:

gonna check the oil every time i go out.. 

I think the manuals say we should all be doing that...:hide: :lol:

• Like 1

AHS

The gas tank on the C175 was nearly empty, so i put a 1/4 of a tank in… AND she runs without a choke! It runs pretty darn good! Ive changed the spark plugs, changed the oil, now i need to get to the hard fuel lines! I was telling @ebinmaine; “it like a time capsule” with the old WH seat, the wrapped steering wheel and the wood spinner knob! Now i need to get to the peeling paint!! 

94524ADE-9C1B-4BF6-9965-CCB751D078C4.jpeg

• Excellent 1

c-series don

I’m not sure what went wrong with those early 80’s B,C series. The paint didn’t adhere well to the cast aluminum dash tower. Perhaps they needed to do something different to prep it? 

• Like 3

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, c-series don said:

I’m not sure what went wrong with those early 80’s B,C series. The paint didn’t adhere well to the cast aluminum dash tower. Perhaps they needed to do something different to prep it? 

Don that was the beginning of the paint issues that we remember from car manufacturing.

This is only a supposition:

Perhaps there was some sort of a prep for the aluminum that may have been no longer available or too expensive to justify. 

• Like 2

AHS
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Don that was the beginning of the paint issues that we remember from car manufacturing.

This is only a supposition:

Perhaps there was some sort of a prep for the aluminum that may have been no longer available or too expensive to justify. 

All of the wheel horse dash’s that I’ve seen, the paint ripped off!!

• Like 1

AHS

@ebinmaine after driving the C175 around for awhile. It seems pretty clear that the C was sitting around for AWHILE! The starter makes a horrible noise while starting it. I have a new starter! I’m gonna change the hydro fluid and filter while im in there. It occurred to me the i may want to change hydro lift line while im in there? I dunno if they can become cracked and hard like fuel line? Where should i get the lines?

ebinmaine
28 minutes ago, AHS said:

new starter

Not sure how much experience you have with those.

Change that starter you'll need to remove the engine sheet metal. Be VERY cautious taking those screws out.

29 minutes ago, AHS said:

hydro lift line

It should be I think four hoses in the hydro system. If you have a leak, you'll have to figure out which one is leaking.

If you just want to do it while you're in there fiddling around you should order all four hoses from Wheel Horse Parts And More.

• Like 2

AHS
15 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Not sure how much experience you have with those.

Change that starter you'll need to remove the engine sheet metal. Be VERY cautious taking those screws out.

It should be I think four hoses in the hydro system. If you have a leak, you'll have to figure out which one is leaking.

If you just want to do it while you're in there fiddling around you should order all four hoses from Wheel Horse Parts And More.

I have experience with the magnum and K series single cyl. From DB electrical, there starters are superb! 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, AHS said:

I have experience with the magnum and K series single cyl. From DB electrical, there starters are superb! 

KEEP THE OLD STARTER. 

Most of those are fairly easy to rebuild. I've swapped a few starters and never had to put a NEW one on.

The thing that you're going to need to be very conscious of on that 17, from what I've seen so far, is that the bolts holding the sheet metal on have a serious tendency to corrode.

Take your time removing those. Tighten them just a hair. Loosen. Tighten. Loosen.

They'll come out with patience.   

• Like 1

AHS

@ebinmaine oh great!!the only bolts i have gotten out (99% of them) were on the K series. On the Magnums (they suck at tin coming off!) around 25% bolts coming out. We’ll see what the KT17 has in store for us!! Tighten then loosen!!!:D

• Like 1

ebinmaine
36 minutes ago, AHS said:

Tighten then loosen!!

You'll get it.

Teeny tiny little increments at first. 

Repeat.

Repeat.

Repeat.

• Like 1

953 nut
16 hours ago, AHS said:

The starter makes a horrible noise while starting it.

Give the bendix drive a good cleaning with some break cleaner and then a shot of graphite lubrication. Also check the tightness of the mounting bolts. Either of these can make perfectly good a starter sound like it is a goner.

• Like 3

pfrederi
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

You'll get it.

Repeat.

Repeat.

Repeat.

Or buy a 1/4"NC set of helicoils drill and tap....:P....

• Like 2

AHS
22 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Or buy a 1/4"NC set of helicoils drill and tap....:P....

Ok, im having a hard time remembering…. What is the size of the K tin bolts? The K series; Ive got at least 5 ripped down to bare blocks without any broken bolts! We’re the K series bolt bigger?

AHS
23 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

You'll get it.

Repeat.

Repeat.

Repeat.

All summer long!!:D

• Like 1

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, AHS said:

Ok, im having a hard time remembering…. What is the size of the K tin bolts? The K series; Ive got at least 5 ripped down to bare blocks without any broken bolts! We’re the K series bolt bigger?

Should all be the same at ¼-20 like Paul said.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1