Dreamcatcher

Recommendations for B-80

Dreamcatcher

Hello,

I am contemplating purchasing a good working B-80 but want to be prepared and research replacing the engine at some point.  what are some simple engine swaps for this tractor? Any help getting me on the right path or research would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

First thing that comes to mind is, why would you be replacing the engine?

I like the fact that some of us do whatever they can to just keep the tractors running and I have great respect for that but I'm a bit of a traditionalist.

To me the engine swap for a b80 would be the original Kohler   that was in it.... Or an upgrade of horsepower. 

But then, that brings up the question, why not just get a c series that would have a bigger engine?

• Like 3

WHX??

Easiest would be a swap with another K181. Or rebuild the orginal motor would be my route. 

• Like 5

ri702bill
7 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Easiest would be a swap with another K181

You just need to get the correct style - Starter / Generator type or the later separate Starter and Alternator...for the drop-in switch.

Dreamcatcher

The reason for my question is really about what options do I have.  I'm not considering the tractor for nostalgia.  It is going to work hard and needs to be dependable and powerful enough to do the jobs of pushing snow, dirt, and gravel.  I don't know if I need more HP but let's face it, we always want more.  I have some significant vision problems and would require a shop or someone to rebuild the engine when required.  What would that cost?  These old tractors have great reputations. 

• Like 3

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, Dreamcatcher said:

The reason for my question is really about what options do I have.  I'm not considering the tractor for nostalgia.  It is going to work hard and needs to be dependable and powerful enough to do the jobs of pushing snow, dirt, and gravel.  I don't know if I need more HP but let's face it, we always want more.  I have some significant vision problems and would require a shop or someone to rebuild the engine when required.  What would that cost?  These old tractors have great reputations. 

Does the eight horsepower tractor you're looking at run and drive okay?

For the tasks you're describing I would advise NO other engine than a Kohler 8 horse. Plenty of power and they sip fuel.

You take a look at some of the videos that are on my or Trina's YouTube channel. Watch the things that her 8 HP tractors do. For pushing snow dirt and gravel what you need is TRACTION. That little 8 HP is more than enough horsepower. Heavily weight those rear tires,  get some chains. Fluid fill the tires if possible. 

Here's an example from just a few days ago when she was out pushing a good strong 10 inch deep medium density snowfall.  

• Excellent 3

clueless

Do to know what year the B-80 is, is it a 4 speed or an 8 speed?

• Like 1

Dreamcatcher

According to the current owner, the tractor runs and drives 'GREAT!;.  I will go look at it on Saturday.  Thank you for the video an I will try to find more of them to watch.  I don't know about the year/serial number etc. Is there anything I should be wary of or pay attention to when I inspect the tractor?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Dreamcatcher said:

. Is there anything I should be wary of or pay attention to when I inspect the tractor?

Basically it's just a matter of general cleanliness and overall condition.

These machines are very well built. Meant to be repaired over and over and over again. There's really nothing, especially in the mid 70s, that would prevent me from buying the tractor.

Price of course would be dependent on condition.

Take a look at the steering. Take a look at the wheel seals and other transmission seals. See if they're leaking. See if you can get a half decent look at the wiring in general.

Here's a thread that shows a checklist that we put together.

It's a lot of information. Don't let it be daunting. I just really tried to be as concise as I could and include everything that everyone could think of.

Of course if you have a mobile phone with access to Red square you're most certainly able to ask questions while you're there.

• Like 2

clueless
6 minutes ago, Dreamcatcher said:

According to the current owner, the tractor runs and drives 'GREAT!;.  I will go look at it on Saturday.  Thank you for the video an I will try to find more of them to watch.  I don't know about the year/serial number etc. Is there anything I should be wary of or pay attention to when I inspect the tractor?

If it really does run and looks great, not smoking or burning oil, I think your concerns about a replacement engine or rebuilding it in the near future is a bit of a moot point. The 8 hp will do most anything you need it to do, if it has the 8 sp hi/lo trans ('76 and '77) then it will climb a pine tree if you can keep it from tipping over. Unless he wants an outrageous price "just do it". When and IF the engine goes to he** you can still find a replacement or rebuild it then.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ri702bill
28 minutes ago, clueless said:

Do to know what year the B-80 is, is it a 4 speed or an 8 speed?

The 8 speed is a huge plus - particularly if you intend to use a tiller behind it.

The 8 speed version is pretty much an eariier version of the C81 - both great machines.

Do look over the document Eric recommended - a lot of us took the time to contribute to it with our experiences...

Bill

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, clueless said:

it will climb a pine tree

I don't think we need to keep this exclusive to evergreens. I'm fairly sure there are lots of deciduous trees that would also be vertical movement targets.  

• Haha 1

clueless
17 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I don't think we need to keep this exclusive to evergreens. I'm fairly sure there are lots of deciduous trees that would also be vertical movement targets.  

I don't know if we got any of dem deciduous trees down here :dunno: but we got plenty of dem pines.

Edited by clueless
  • Haha 4

Racinbob

The 76 and 77 B's were identical to the C's other than a few minor things. Rear tires were 22.7.50 vs 23.850, low back seat vs high back, 13" steering wheel vs 15", headlights optional vs standard and of course engine size. I bought this 76 B-80 brand new. A couple years later WW Grainger sent out microfiche pricing for dealers only that had special pricing. Kohler K-341's for around $250. They even had the correct threaded holes in the oil pan for the frame bolts from underneath. So I gave birth to my B-160. The low back seat went on a Commando 800 restoration, found a set of 23.850's, a headlight kit and it was good to go. Just need to get a couple B-160 8 Speed decals. :)

1628718341_B160070620171.JPG.2045b5b57af22557f6b05b341f426300.JPG

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 5
  • Heart 2

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti: @Dreamcatcher!  I agree with @ebinmaine, there is no need to look down upon a 8 horse, as inferior.  My 502 is heavily modified, with an 8 hp engine (originally 5 hp) and a C-series transmission, among other things.  I can pull a 10” plow through the dirt with only tr@cation being the limiting factor.

8E4F80EA-6F75-4650-BD2E-30EE3D7A546B.jpeg

6F739B85-7E2C-4A50-A344-829752E9EB9C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

kpinnc

I've plowed dry red unbroken clay with an 8 inch moldboard and my 867. Those little Kohlers are stout! 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Dreamcatcher

I appreciate all the feedback, pictures, videos and advice.  I am going to look at it tomorrow.  Hopefully I will post a new thread with pictures tomorrow!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

:WRS:

Happy hunting.  :woohoo:  The manual transmissions on a Wheel Horse are nearly indestructible and Kohler engines are extremely reliable. you will want to put it through it's paces when test driving to be sure everything is working well. We are here to help if issues should develop later on.

8 hours ago, Dreamcatcher said:

Hopefully I will post a new thread with pictures tomorrow!!!

:text-yeahthat:                                                                         :wwp:                                                        :text-coolphotos:

• Like 1