Pullstart

Exciting Weekend - Wrestling

Pullstart

She’s had to wrestler some of her teammates a few times as well.  One is an exchange student from Brazil.  They have become quite good friends!

DC578B76-E89F-4F05-8987-CAB648E56DE0.jpeg

AA9B83C9-818F-46D4-AA0F-73B08A6EE9B8.jpeg

54E8285D-D213-4D20-B8FC-01C4CD321759.jpeg

95DB2F05-7C03-4A87-90C7-1A7909D7E5A8.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

Her team has something like 21 freshman and 24 sophomores through seniors.  Between being the only female football player in the school and her advancements on the mat, she’s building a name for herself for sure.  I can’t wait to see what her future holds!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH

:clap:

PWL216

My youngest son was a very good wrestler. He won 3x Sectional Championships and a State Championship. His High School team won 5x consecutive state titles. He made the All-New England team, wrestled at VA Beach and Fargo, and wrestled in college for Buffalo. Once you get into a college program it’s a whole new deal. Nearly everyone in the room has won at least 1 state title. He had a NY and Fargo 4x champ in his weight class. Let’s just say he saw less mat time than he saw in HS ;)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Brockport Bill

great to see her continue with her wrestling career -- i had the good fortune to be associated with some very high level wrestling over many years -- including as teamamate plus including because of my high ranking as referee to be assigned to many high level matches as referee - therefore, I officiated some outstanding wrestlers on my mats -- Terrific to hear she is learning at camps and clinics - Here is one suggestion for her that clearly helps separate good wreslters from VERY good wrestlers -- it will take committment from you as parents -- get her to the BEST clinics - not just the local camp or taught by good coaches but get her to the highest level training camps and clinics possible taught by the best coaches in the country !!! My experince is one of the greatest advantages a wrestler can have is the technigue and skill sets they have learned at the BEST clinics. I would referee matches and see a distinct difference immediately between two athletes with one having technique skills their opponent did not have -- yes, of course conditioning and determination and effort all matter... but if you know more than your opponent on specific advanced technique it gives you great advantage !! I once roomed with a world champion from Europe at an Olympic team training camp and learned more specific technique from him in a few days than I learned in years prior.  After I finished college, my coach became a world class coach including coaching USA world teams. He was able to teach techniques that opposing coaches did not have the knowledge to teach their wrestlers. I would often finish a bout as referee where the winner was obviously better because that winning wreslter won with "moves" the other wrestler simply did not know how to counter because of the technique knowledge one had drilled. Lastly, another huge advantage in high school wrestling is to take her to Greco Roman clinics - if she learns Greco style takedown throws and holds that she is proficient in, she will be able to execute those moves other wrestlers simply do not have enough knowledge or skill to counter -- and as you know a well executed "throw" from your feet in standing position can quickly end a match with a pin - or at least near fall back points. There are very specific subtle throw techniques taught at Greco camps not taught at typical high school clinics ------------- Good luck to her  -- ENJOY ! 

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

953 nut
10 hours ago, Pullstart said:

I can’t wait to see what her future holds!

:text-coolphotos:           The 2028 summer Olympics will be held in Los Angeles, may as well book your flight.      :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

stevebo

Kev-

Great to see her sticking with it. Here in CT they are pushing the girls wrestling hard. Last spring at nationals in Virginia Beach the girls division was huge! Brennanbo was up to 170 over the summer and has been making the cut. He has been at 150 and 144. He told me tonight he is gonna cut to 138 for states. CT has made a big push in upping the level of competition. This is a very humbling sport but these kids are learning life lessons which is why I love him being in the sport. He was named captain as a junior on a top 5 team in the state. 
Perhaps we will hold a wrestling camp at the big show this year😝

IMG_5552.jpeg

Pullstart

This was pretty awesome to watch!  

• Heart 1

Brockport Bill

over my years when I was referee i officiated many diffferent wrestlers with various "disabilities" including blind and various other "challenged" athletes - always made for interesting adjustment for the referee, but in particular the mental adjustment for the opponent - - but always a great part of wrestling was the prespective that everyone gained of our own blessings - in this video it was touching to see the end of match outward respect and affection the "non-winner" had in the video toward the challenged athlete

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

It was a great day!

5 of our 6 girls at the tournament placed!  Rylee got 1st, we had a 2nd, 3rd and two 4ths.  Yeehaw!

E013ABF4-9A2D-47B8-8225-454BE88EE10B.jpeg

E7468768-9C41-47A9-B38C-5A1FD4C8C1E8.jpeg

622E240A-ACD2-409C-A9A7-C4F079D29C02.jpeg

• Excellent 4
  • Heart 1

Brockport Bill

good for her -  proud day to remember

• Thanks 1

PWL216

Congrats to Rylee!! 

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

:clap:

davem1111
On 1/23/2024 at 10:50 PM, stevebo said:

[...] 

Brennanbo was up to 170 over the summer and has been making the cut. He has been at 150 and 144. He told me tonight he is gonna cut to 138 for states.

[...]

First, I think wrestling is an awesome sport, and really awesome that women are getting more involved - big Kudos to Rylee! :greetings-clappingyellow:

Second, regarding weight classes...  I wrestled in High School, and also played football and baseball. For football season I was beefed up and weighing around 170, as fullback/blocking back and linebacker. When wrestling season started, the struggle to get down to 158 started. My word of warning here is, don't cut weight at the expense of energy and strength. I was often so weak after starving myself to make 158, that I then didn't have the energy to actually wrestle my best. And ironically, we had two 158 pounders and one 170 pounder, but a heavyweight who sometimes wasn't able to make the matches, I don't remember why. So our 170 pounder ended up wrestling heavyweight, and I got bumped up to 170. I often did better against these bigger guys after all that because they often weren't as "lean and mean" as the smaller guys.  In hindsight I should have just built up more strength for the 170 lb class and stayed there.  I guess what I'm saying is, best to only try to cut weight for a lower weight class if you can do it without sacrificing strength and energy.  IMHO.

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

@davem1111 they now have an Alpha test in the beginning of wrestling season.  It’s a state wide test to measure body size, fat content, etc… to determine how much weight can safely be cut, and on what time schedule.  I was an advocate for wrestling where I weighed in school.  I refused to cut weight.  I let her make her decisions but they only let her drop one weight class.  I’m ok with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Brockport Bill

i endorse 100 percent not loosing dramatic weight -- if a child is overweight and goes into wrestling or any sport that makes some sense to loose some weight and get to a healthy weight - but a healthy body, male or female, "cutting" weight more than 5-10 lbs makes no sense -  I was around and participated in wrestling in HS and high level college program plus was then referee for high school and college age athletes, as well as nationally licensed USA Freestyle and Greco Roman referee --  at that age the body is trying to grow -- so to retard that metabolism denying it nutrition and hydration is contrary to all good health - - i have seen certain wrestlers go from beginning season weight down to 2-3 weight classes for end of season tournements thinking it would give them some "strength" advantage -- often it was just the opposite --especially for end of match 3rd period endurance  -- poor nutrition and starving the body is contrary to what a demanding sport requires -- lastly, when i wrestled in college i frequently wrestled "up" 1 or 2 weight classes because that was the most helpful for teams success -- i just had to adjust to use technique and quickness -- i would suggest being a better wrestler is often the smarter better trained, skilled wrestler than the malnurished wrestler -- so yes, loose a few lbs, drop a weight class but dont try to over do it

• Excellent 1

davem1111
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

@davem1111 they now have an Alpha test in the beginning of wrestling season.  It’s a state wide test to measure body size, fat content, etc… to determine how much weight can safely be cut, and on what time schedule.  I was an advocate for wrestling where I weighed in school.  I refused to cut weight.  I let her make her decisions but they only let her drop one weight class.  I’m ok with that.

Wow, I didn't know that, but that is great.  :handgestures-thumbup:

43 minutes ago, Brockport Bill said:

i endorse 100 percent not loosing dramatic weight -- if a child is overweight and goes into wrestling or any sport that makes some sense to loose some weight and get to a healthy weight - but a healthy body, male or female, "cutting" weight more than 5-10 lbs makes no sense -  I was around and participated in wrestling in HS and high level college program plus was then referee for high school and college age athletes, as well as nationally licensed USA Freestyle and Greco Roman referee --  at that age the body is trying to grow -- so to retard that metabolism denying it nutrition and hydration is contrary to all good health - - i have seen certain wrestlers go from beginning season weight down to 2-3 weight classes for end of season tournements thinking it would give them some "strength" advantage -- often it was just the opposite --especially for end of match 3rd period endurance  -- poor nutrition and starving the body is contrary to what a demanding sport requires -- lastly, when i wrestled in college i frequently wrestled "up" 1 or 2 weight classes because that was the most helpful for teams success -- i just had to adjust to use technique and quickness -- i would suggest being a better wrestler is often the smarter better trained, skilled wrestler than the malnurished wrestler -- so yes, loose a few lbs, drop a weight class but dont try to over do it

All well said and true.  I'm only 5'7", and about the same height as my parents, but I can't help but wonder if I might have grown another inch or two if I hadn't been starving myself (both of my younger brothers got taller than me...).  Also, I didn't say it but during football at 170 lbs I really didn't have an ounce of fat on me.  So probably what I was losing to make weight in wrestling was muscle mass.  Not good for a growing young person.  That, plus as you mentioned, the short term result was the opposite of what was wanted.  You mentioned endurance, and yeah, I think that's what brought me down. If I could pin my opponent pretty quickly, it was good. If the match dragged out, I ran out of steam. Sometimes the other guy did too, but not always.

• Excellent 1

Brockport Bill
2 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

Wow, I didn't know that, but that is great.  :handgestures-thumbup:

All well said and true.  I'm only 5'7", and about the same height as my parents, but I can't help but wonder if I might have grown another inch or two if I hadn't been starving myself (both of my younger brothers got taller than me...).  Also, I didn't say it but during football at 170 lbs I really didn't have an ounce of fat on me.  So probably what I was losing to make weight in wrestling was muscle mass.  Not good for a growing young person.  That, plus as you mentioned, the short term result was the opposite of what was wanted.  You mentioned endurance, and yeah, I think that's what brought me down. If I could pin my opponent pretty quickly, it was good. If the match dragged out, I ran out of steam. Sometimes the other guy did too, but not always.

when i wrestled guys with bigger builds than me i could quickly determine if they had sucked weight -- so as you said i made calculated decision to get them into the 3rd period knowing they wanted to use strength and hit me with an early power move or a throw and end the match quickly -- often it was best to get them into 3rd period when their endurance would fail them

• Like 2

Pullstart

High School Regionals this weekend!  She has come so far, so quickly!

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPR3aAu6y/

@nylyon I think we need your daughter’s band to write her a theme song!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Pullstart
  • Like 2

Mickwhitt

Wow Kev, Rylee looks quite the sports girl! 

You can certainly see how her physique is filling out and strengthening. 

I guess the way she fit in at her new school is a lot to do with her personality and get stuck in attitude toward her sports.

My friends daughter is a competition swimmer and her training is so demanding. From a little girl she has grown into a strong and resilient young woman. 

Wrestling is not something we do over here, it looks like an amazing sport to teach kids so much. 

Mick 

• Thanks 1

stevebo
On 1/24/2024 at 1:59 PM, Pullstart said:

This was pretty awesome to watch!  

When did coached the little kids I had a kid with one leg I coached. It was for sure a different experience and force me to step up my coaching game. When he won his first match I had tears when I saw the joy in his parents eyes as they watched. 

• Heart 1

stevebo

Brennanbo took second in his league and has state class this weekend (tomorrow and Saturday). He has the number one kid in the stat and probably top 1-3 in New England in semis (assuming he gets there). We shall see! He is on the right. This was a few weeks ago when we wrestled them in a dual. Did not end well… this kid does not look it but is a hammer

good luck to Rylee!! Love to see the girls mix it up!

IMG_4901.jpeg

• Excellent 2

D_Mac

My cousin wrestled in H.S. and college back in the day. Internet is full of some of his throws in Greco-Roman style. State Champ, NCAA champ and Olympic qualifier. Congrats to Rylee for her accomplishments and to the Pullstart family for all their support.

Edited by D_Mac
  • Excellent 1

D_Mac

Pullstart

Coach says in his wrestling tenure, only three freshman have qualified for state.  

Rylee is the first girl freshman he knows of from our school system making it through! She finished second at regionals, only to her upper classmen 1st place qualifier.  Proud daddy!

C74C7BCC-6EAA-44B2-A25E-57ADA07FA02F.jpeg

639AC3D4-BEAC-48BF-BBEF-3A2ECCF88C77.jpeg

90E0EE01-AEA4-4E3C-A095-3D2B0152F2AF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 2