TJ5208

Yerf Dog Go Kart

TJ5208

I Recently purchased this go-kart which has a stage 3 212 predator motor on it and I went riding today and I was going up and down Hills probably sloshing the oil everywhere I was running it pretty hard I'm not sure how many RPMs it turns but it turns quite a few and it just started sputtering and cutting out and I just got to a stop sign so when I stopped it died so I got off it was going to start it back up and then I seen oil was dripping on the ground and when I looked there was oil all over the carb I'm not sure if it's in the carb I didn't really have the chance to work on it so it's about 5 miles from home right now a nice couple seen me standing on the side of the road with it and they asked the people across the road if I could leave it in their front yard until I can fix it or come pick it up so the people let me.  According to some of the research it may because of too much crankcase pressure which would cause it to blow oil. So would it still be fine to maybe take it easy on it and try to get it home or should I try to work on it and see what's wrong with it while it's sitting there I don't have access to a truck so I have to drive it home I'm not sure if it runs or not and of course I would want to check the oil level but I just want to get you guys's opinion on if I should try to get it home or if I should try to work on it where it sits which will not be easy because I don't have transportation.

Screenshot 2023-01-21 10.37.21 PM.png

Edited by TJ Salyers

Sparky

First thing you need to do is determine where the oil is coming from. Good wipe down with a rag and an inspection with a flashlight to start. If nothing is obvious then check levels, see if it starts and drive it home. But don’t beat on it to get it home since the issue hasn’t been discovered yet.
  Or, can you tow it home with your 520? Maybe with one of your buddies steering the cart? 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
24 minutes ago, Sparky said:

tow it home with your 520? Maybe with one of your buddies steering the cart?

:text-yeahthat:

be safe and bring it home in one piece.

• Like 2

wallfish

The engine has a low oil sensor that shuts it down. Take some rags, a funnel and a qt of oil, fill it up and it should start if it was the sensor that shut it down. Do Not spill oil all over that person's front yard !!!!

Do NOT punish the friendly neighbor for their good deed by working on it too much in their front yard. If you have to, walk down there with a piece of rope and drag it home if that's what it takes. If you have a hand truck that would make it easier.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

TonyToro Jr.

:text-yeahthat:I have the same engine in my gokart and went I sometimes go up and down it does what you said so it might me a low oil shutdown.

• Like 2

c-series don

@TJ SalyersI agree with getting it home, perhaps as @Sparky said towing with a friend and your 520. I’d then drain the oil, clean it up real good and put the proper amount of new oil in it. Also clean or put a new spark plug in as the one in it now is probably oil fouled. On a safety note one of those orange flags on a flexible white pole is a good idea. Being low in go-cart not everyone will see you. I’m speaking from experience, in the early eighties I put many miles on my go-cart. I had three or four friends that had them at the same time and we had a blast! I’m not sure if the neighbors liked it though! Fix it, go have fun and please be safe. 

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

TJ5208
3 hours ago, wallfish said:

The engine has a low oil sensor that shuts it down. Take some rags, a funnel and a qt of oil, fill it up and it should start if it was the sensor that shut it down. Do Not spill oil all over that person's front yard !!!!

Do NOT punish the friendly neighbor for their good deed by working on it too much in their front yard. If you have to, walk down there with a piece of rope and drag it home if that's what it takes. If you have a hand truck that would make it easier.

The oil sensor has been deleted. And if I have to work on it I'll drag it back out in the road.

Pullstart
25 minutes ago, TJ Salyers said:

The oil sensor has been deleted. And if I have to work on it I'll drag it back out in the road.

Oh boy.  It might have not been able to save your engine then…

• Sad 1

TJ5208
2 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Oh boy.  It might have not been able to save your engine then…

With the high speeds these run all the oil sloshing around it messes with the sensor and it'll shut the motor off for no reason at all and then you're stuck in the middle of the road.

wallfish
29 minutes ago, TJ Salyers said:

Uh Oh, You may have discovered the other low oil sensor that all gas powered engines come with. It stops the engine from running and sometimes it will even open a window in the block for easy inspection. There is no reset button for it.

Just a guess from the vague description of the problem but maybe the case vent was blowing oil. I think those vents are vented into the air cleaner but IDK and anything could be changed with a modified engine. That could be why it's running rough and quit with oil all over the carb. Was it smoking out of the exhaust too?

• Like 4

TJ5208
10 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Uh Oh, You may have discovered the other low oil sensor that all gas powered engines come with. It stops the engine from running and sometimes it will even open a window in the block for easy inspection. There is no reset button for it.

Just a guess from the vague description of the problem but maybe the case vent was blowing oil. I think those vents are vented into the air cleaner but IDK and anything could be changed with a modified engine. That could be why it's running rough and quit with oil all over the carb. Was it smoking out of the exhaust too?

It was running fine with no smoke.

Edited by TJ Salyers

ri702bill
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

and sometimes it will even open a window in the block for easy inspection. There is no reset button for it.

Only happens Once...

Ed Kennell
14 hours ago, TJ Salyers said:

I just got to a stop sign 

For yours and others safety, I hope you're not operating this on a highway.

• Like 1

TJ5208
49 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

For yours and others safety, I hope you're not operating this on a highway.

Only back roads.

• Excellent 2

Achto
8 hours ago, TJ Salyers said:

With the high speeds these run all the oil sloshing around it messes with the sensor and it'll shut the motor off for no reason at all and then you're stuck in the middle of the road.

Has this engine been modified at all? I've never had a stock predator shut down due to the oil sensor, unless it was low on oil. If it is still using the stock governor then it will only spin at 3600RPM, same as a garden tractor engine. If the governor has been deleted then then next rev limiter will be the flywheel, the stock one flies apart around 5500RPM's. The factory cast connecting rod would be the next rev limiter, stock one breaks around 7000 RPMs. 

• Like 1

TJ5208
5 minutes ago, Achto said:

Has this engine been modified at all? I've never had a stock predator shut down due to the oil sensor, unless it was low on oil. If it is still using the stock governor then it will only spin at 3600RPM, same as a garden tractor engine. If the governor has been deleted then then next rev limiter will be the flywheel, the stock one flies apart around 5500RPM's. The factory cast connecting rod would be the next rev limiter, stock one breaks around 7000 RPMs. 

There's a screw that limits how far the throttle can go and that's deleted. The crankshaft valve springs push rods are all racing parts. And the Piston is billet. This thing will run close to 50 mph. And if I deleted the governor it would be even faster.

Edited by TJ Salyers

TJ5208

My brother came and got it. So it's home and looking at it the hose fell off. Got the ole 520-8 out and pulled the Go Kart to the horse trailer.

IMG_20230124_184933.jpg

IMG_20230124_190832.jpg

IMG_20230124_191801.jpg

IMG_20230124_192429.jpg

Edited by TJ Salyers

TJ5208

I got it running.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2