Wheelhorse#1

Bearing Plate questions

Wheelhorse#1

I Was wondering how critical it is to have proper  clearance when installing the gaskets on the bearing plate ?

The manual mentions its more critical on gear reduction engines to have the  proper clearance.

What would be a symptom of improper clearance or would it  cause premature wear ? Other symptoms? 

Edited by Wheelhorse#1

squonk

The clearance does 2 things. 

1. it sets the front bearing and seal in the proper location on the crank.

2. too tight a clearance will cause extra side load on the bearings and crank thrust surface. Too loose and the crank can move back and forth hammering the bearings and causing side stress on the rod and wrist pin as well as potentially cracking the bearing bosses.

• Excellent 4

Wheelhorse#1

Thanks for the explanation! 

I have 301 that I believe to be the issue and I’ll have to pull and re measure.Has too much play back and forth.

• Like 2

Pullstart

I must be the luckiest guy in the :wh: world.  I had a K161 that ran good and a K181 that had good electronics and starter.  I took the K181 side plate off and tossed it on the K161 for the gain of a stator and starter and never had an issue.

Edited by Pullstart
  • Like 2

953 nut

I know that reading instructions is not a manly thing to do but some times it comes in handy.   :ychain:   In the Kohler engine service manual Disassembly section they tell you to save the gaskets between the block and bearing plate, measure them and record the measurement so you replace them with the correct shim gaskets then check the clearance.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Wheelhorse#1
39 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I know that reading instructions is not a manly thing to do but some times it comes in handy.   :ychain:   In the Kohler engine service manual Disassembly section they tell you to save the gaskets between the block and bearing plate, measure them and record the measurement so you replace them with the correct shim gaskets then check the clearance.

I must of missed that part or my brain didn't retain that information . I tend to learn things the hard way sometimes .:teasing-dunce: Anyway of doing this without pulling the pan ?

WHX??

I measure the gaskets/ spacers but then measure the end play. 

20190418_161240.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

squonk
13 hours ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

Thanks for the explanation! 

I have 301 that I believe to be the issue and I’ll have to pull and re measure.Has too much play back and forth.

Has this engine been apart before? If not your bearings may be shot. Spec is quite generous .003" - .020"

Wheelhorse#1
7 minutes ago, squonk said:

Has this engine been apart before? If not your bearings may be shot. Spec is quite generous .003" - .020"

Yes.Honed cylinder Replaced piston, rings and rod and valves. Everything was just in spec.

I checked the bearings and didn't notice any play in them on both sides.However I didn't remove them to check them so Im not certain if I should've remove them and checked that way ?

In hindsight I should of just relaced :eusa-think: 

Wheelhorse#1
51 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

I measure the gaskets/ spacers but then measure the end play. 

20190418_161240.jpg

@WHX??Thats  the ticket. I may just invest in one of these.Do you think the Harbor fraud model would be sufficient ?

Edited by Wheelhorse#1

Wheelhorse#1
12 minutes ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

Spec is quite generous .003" - .020"

Yes that's what Im thinking, my problem may be something else "Bearring"? .The sound is deffintly coming from one side near the bearing at the flywheel . 

The engine runs perfect its Just has a intermittent tap sound non existent at idle, not constant.   

Edited by Wheelhorse#1

WHX??
15 minutes ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

Harbor fraud model would be sufficient ?

I would think so for what we are doing. 

• Thanks 1

squonk

I use one of these.

Amazon.com: TÜRLEN Disc Brake Rotor and Ball Joint Runout Gauge Set Dial  Indicator 1"/0.0005" Flexible Arm Clamp Locking Vise w/Case : Industrial &  Scientific

ri702bill
1 hour ago, squonk said:

I use one of these.

Amazon.com: TÜRLEN Disc Brake Rotor and Ball Joint Runout Gauge Set Dial  Indicator 1"/0.0005" Flexible Arm Clamp Locking Vise w/Case : Industrial &  Scientific

Originally intended to check disc brake rotor runout, right Mike??

Bill

• Like 2

Wheelhorse#1

@squonk who makes that one ? 

squonk
33 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Originally intended to check disc brake rotor runout, right Mike??

Bill

Yes. Also ball joint wear.

11 minutes ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

@squonk who makes that one ? 

Several companies make that style. Horror Fright sells it. $33 bucks

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=clamping dial indicator

• Like 2