moe1965

Rectifier which wires are what

moe1965

I purchased a new rectifier but there are no markings on what wire goes  where I know two of them go to the AC side and the other goes to the back of my key switch marked R. Unfortunately I do not have the old one to look at which did have the markings but for the life of me I can't find it...  I think the two circled in red are the rete marked AC.  Thanks in advance 

IMG_20230115_152600085_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230115_152600085_HDR~2.jpg

Edited by moe1965
More info
  • Excellent 1

squonk

Two leads side by side (red circle) are AC Power from stator. It doesn't matter which wire goes on either terminal. Terminal by itself goes to the switch.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@moe1965   don,t forget to enhance the  mounting bolt   point for grounding  , usually  engine to frame corrosion  and metal  duct work are weak areas for ground  ,suggest  an alligator clip   test wire from battery ground cable ground bolt to that  rectifier mount bolt , area  on initial testing . if that ground  makes your amperage gauge stand at attention  , and charging is solid  , thats what you want . don,t count on original  ground areas ,  too erratic  .  pete

• Like 1

mike avad

so this is what this part is called? I have a 1988 or 89 wheel horse that has one. how to tell if they go bad? here what happen to me just a few day ago I went to start my tractor and the starter lock up and melded the post of the solenoid so I replace  both part's new and more ignition switch all new clean all the ground check wires for bad spots with tester. seat switch brake switch still no turn over? bat good, went out to day and took off the steel dash plate so I turn on the pot switch and rub the plater on the tractor and it spark?would it be that part called RECTIFIER. everything work fine until this happen.is that part is bad what the price of one and where a good place to buy it?this my number 2 tractor iv work on and am NEW at this am STUCK here. trying to keep the old horse alive. THANK'S for any help and info

• Like 1

mike avad

sorry forgot my tractor is a 252-H also

• Like 1

moe1965

I got mine on Amazon for $31.00. This is what was wrong with my issues.  I also found out PO switched some wires around which probably burned up my old on .  

• Like 1

mike avad

did you buy one the same as your old one?I seen one just like mine but it was for Kohler engine and my wheel horse has a briggs&stration intek 17.5 HP was trying to fine out if that I found will work on my wheel horse with a briggs on it? thank's for your reply on this also.

moe1965

I took the part number off my old rectifier and Google searched that to find my replacement. My tractor has a Kohler engine on it. I would say you will have to research what is specific to your engine being a brigs and download a wiring diagram and trace each wire to make sure it's all connected to the correct terminals etc...

mike avad

OK THANK YOU

Edited by mike avad
add more info
  • Like 1

mike avad

got mine to turn over had to put alittle gas in the carb. and safety switch next thank you all for replys

• Like 1