Metal Blender

Toro W.H.312-H 1990/Eaton 1100

Metal Blender

My Wheel Horse 312-H 1990 / Eaton 1100 runs fine in warm weather but its now 12°f and the lift  is sluggish, Plus its making a rather noticeable noise at idle or moving? I'm thinking the oil is to thick for the filter when its extreme cold or am I overlooking something else ? Thanks for replying

Edited by Metal Blender
  • Like 1

953 nut

Are you running 10 W 30?   Any signs of water in the transmission oil?

• Like 1

WHX??

We were just engaged in this conversation by the brake lining guy ... see if I can find it. 

Found it ... read this Metal...

We got kinda off on a tangent about fuel pumps but ... 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1

Metal Blender
6 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

10/40  The oil looks ok,what would water in it look like ?discolored

• Like 1

WHX??
Just now, Metal Blender said:

10/40  The oil looks ok,what would water in it look like ?discolored

Milkey or a whitish brown... you'll know it on the dip stick or when draining right off. 

• Like 2

Metal Blender
33 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

IMG_20230111_194604.jpg

• Like 1

WHX??

That looks OK Metal... but... if you don't know when everything was changed last just drop the oil and filter and change it out. Run it for abit if you can to get the oil warm before dropping ...usually doesn't take long. NAPA 1410 on the filter. I use any quality Syn 10w-30. Reports are syn does better in cold ... I can neither confirm or deny that tho. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 3

Metal Blender

The oil is clean but its a little low 1/2 qt

• Like 1

Metal Blender
9 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

That looks OK Metal... but... if you don't know when everything was changed last just drop the oil and filter and change it out. Run it for abit if you can to get the oil warm before dropping ...usually doesn't take long. NAPA 1410 on the filter. I use any quality Syn 10w-30. Reports are syn does better in cold ... I can neither confirm or deny that tho. 

Ok thanks / NAPA 1410

• Like 1

WHX??

Your welcome ... the oem filters are still around in plenty for the purists... 5990 right guys?

Ed Kennell

Per  Eaton,  all 1100s  should be warmed up for 10 minutes to prevent damage.    Some must be warmed up before the lifts will work.

• Like 2

gwest_ca

• Like 1

rmaynard
7 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Per Eaton,  all 1100s should be warmed up for 10 minutes to prevent damage.  Some must be warmed up before the lifts will work.

Ed, at our age, can we afford to waste ten minutes? 

All kidding aside, I understand why Eaton states that. But in the real world we generally do what works for us. Since my hydro has close to 900 hours on it, (150 of which I put on), I can only attest to my own experience. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

clueless

I can only speak for my shelf but I know the two times I've been outside in 12 degrees I was a bit sluggish. I didn't stay out long enough to warm up, if that's even possible, but that's probably why Eaton recommends a 10 minute warm up especially for a 30 year old tractor.

• Haha 1

Ed Kennell
54 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

But in the real world we generally do what works for us

Guilty as charged Bob.     Of my four 1100s, the 312 is the only one I warm up and that's because the lift won't lift.     The 417 and the 520s all start and go.

WHX??
10 hours ago, clueless said:

I can only speak for my shelf

What yer shelf doesn't speak clueless? Mine does... say come get all these red parts off me I'm overloaded ... then tries to tell me about a guy called pullstart and overloading but I then turn a deaf ear like when the wife is talking... :lol:

10 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Guilty as charged Bob... 

:hide:... I should have her doing the hand shoveling while I warm them up...

Ed Kennell
Just now, WHX?? said:
10 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

:hide:... I should have her doing the hand shoveling while I warm them up.

We need pics of this.

• Excellent 1

peter lena

@Ed Kennell   how about this with an incandescent   bulb?  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Champion-Electronics-Clamp-Light-with-10-Aluminum-Reflector-Lightbulb-not-included/711001061   or  a heat bulb on a timer ?  standing vertically under the engine  center tec a matic , rrame , is perfect engine heat , try the same thing under the trans , easy and worth a try . the cold weather is the issue , you know that . would set it up  for rising heat to most area . just an idea ,  got silicone  covered  incandescent   on line ,  regularly use them on my 3 , pete