ebinmaine

Snap ring pliers?

ebinmaine

I'm looking for a usable set of inexpensive snap ring pliers.  

What do you folks use? 

• Like 3

The Freightliner Guy

well we have a pair of husky ones

• Like 1

The Freightliner Guy

peter lena

@ebinmaine   prefer the  fixed  or  non  changeable  tips ,  they fail  more than  often . would mean buying the specific  sizes you want . the depot model / type above is the  type you want , pete 

• Like 2

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:             Those are the ones I use and Huskey tools are good quality. I have a set of Huskey 1/2" sockets that I bought in the early 1960s (long before HD opened their first store) and when the ratchet began to skip while tightening Home Depot gave me a new replacement about ten years ago, no questions asked.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

GAJoe
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

What do you folks use? 

I got the Chanel-Lock that have a leaver to change directions. The copper colored inserts broke first try. I made some from the largest allen wrench that just barely fit in the holes and they did fine with those rings that I sent to you.

$35 at Tractor Supply.

Edited by GAJoe
  • Like 3

Horse Newbie
4 hours ago, peter lena said:

prefer the  fixed  or  non  changeable  tips ,  they fail  more than  often

I can attest to that… I have a pair of the changeable tip type. They have done most  of what I needed them to do, but on some of the larger snap rings they either slip or fail…

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 3

peter lena

@Horse Newbie  make sure you penetrating oil soak those clips  , before  attempted  removal , might even use a small punch to tap it from  the open side , to get a slide going , keep it greasy , pete

• Like 3

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

I can attest to that… I have a pair of the changeable tip type. They have done most  of what I needed them to do, but on some of the larger snap rings they either slip or fail…

That's exactly why I posted this thread...

• Like 2

wallfish

For me it's those cheapie changeable type. For the small amount of snap rings I do, it makes sense. Had it for about 8 years now and I can still get snap rings off or installed without much issue :twocents-02cents:

(although I did grind the tip edges to grab better)

https://www.toolplanet.com/product/Neiko-4-piece-Snap-Ring-Plier-Set/6217?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5fXP2sqn_AIVFrrICh11AQ0VEAQYBCABEgLa7fD_BwE

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, wallfish said:
11 minutes ago, wallfish said:

cheapie changeable type

I can still get snap rings off or installed

Mine are a good brand. Lisle(?). 

Still just ain't rugged enough.  

I can do everything but the transmission axle lock rings. I've been using a screwdriver in combination with the pliers but even that is..... Challenging.  

• Like 1

lynnmor
16 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Often you need to choose "usable" or "inexpensive" pliers.  I have several of the changeable pliers and they are almost useless.  If I weren't so old, I would buy a complete set of fixed end.  For the large snap rings on axles and hydraulic cylinders, I bought large pliers that are a perfect fit.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Often you need to choose "usable" or "inexpensive" pliers.  I have several of the changeable pliers and they are almost useless.  

Absolutely agreed.  

I'm leaning towards this set, or one like it.  

Screenshot_20230102-103548-685.png.b3d743feea07f5b61dc16405d96592c2.png

Reviews are good overall.  

I've bought a few things from this company (not through the jungle site) and had decent success so far.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

lynnmor
11 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'm leaning towards this set, or one like it.  

Reviews are good overall.  

I've bought a few things from this company (not through the jungle site) and had decent success so far.  

The jungle site has that set for $33.99, a real good set is ten times that much.  I know, it is simply spin and win when buying anything these days.

Edit, I just looked it up, same place from the same warehouse.

Edited by lynnmor
  • Like 2

Mickwhitt

I have a set of interchangeable ones that are more trouble than they are worth.

So I mainly use Facom tools fixed snap ring (circlip) pliers for all my needs. 

Better quality and no losing the little tips.

• Like 3

Handy Don

Like others, I do not encounter snap rings frequently enought to warrant dedicated tools.

In your case, @ebinmaine, they may make more sense. 

I’ll add that more than once the right-angle access that the Channel-Lock tool’s interchangeable tips offer (in addition to the “straight in” access) has been essential

Plus, being small, I can keep the one plier with the tips in my “go bag"

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 2

Horse Newbie
2 hours ago, wallfish said:

For me it's those cheapie changeable type. For the small amount of snap rings I do, it makes sense. Had it for about 8 years now and I can still get snap rings off or installed without much issue :twocents-02cents:

(although I did grind the tip edges to grab better)

https://www.toolplanet.com/product/Neiko-4-piece-Snap-Ring-Plier-Set/6217?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5fXP2sqn_AIVFrrICh11AQ0VEAQYBCABEgLa7fD_BwE

Now these that @wallfish are saying he has are different than mine. On mine only the tips are changeable, on the ones in Wallfish’s link, it looks like you change the whole business end of the pliers which probably works better…

• Like 2

OldWorkHorse

Harbor freight ICON brand pretty heavy duty snd had no issues with them. Don't know what "cheap" is for these but this set is around $70

Screenshot_20230102_170113_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

peter lena

@OldWorkHorse  done a lot of  those rusty  snap rings , penetrating oil , small  flat punch from the side to get the ring to move , at the eye points , another spray , and clip out , pete

• Like 2

RandyLittrell