moe1965

Battery overcharging

moe1965

Hello all I have a B100 that I just started working on and I'm going over all the things I think I should take a look at.   I checked the voltage while the tractor was running and it reads 16.50 on a hand held volt meter is that to high???? I'm checking it on the battery posts .    Engine not running is showing 13.20 volts.   Thanks in advance 

• Like 1

lynnmor

I would check it with another meter to be sure.  Check the battery voltage some hours after it rests, it is not unusual to have a higher than normal reading if the battery was charged at a high rate.  The 16.50 is rather high but some older models weren't regulated well, if at all.  I didn't look up your model.  Another thing is that mechanical voltage regulators, if you have that, will play havoc with the digital voltmeters, a cheap analog meter with a needle can be your friend.

• Like 1

rmaynard

Make sure that the rectifier/regulator is well grounded. That's the first place I'd check.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Achto

Voltage seems high but before you dig into it, check to see that the battery is good in your multi meter. On my meter if the battery is low it will give high readings when testing.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

moe1965

I checked and cleaned every terminal and still.the same results . Still overcharging  . It there a way to test the rectifier 

• Like 1

953 nut

Did you clean the mounting area for the regulator as suggested by @rmaynard?

Were the batteries in your meter good?

• Like 1

moe1965

Yes on both

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

moe1965

Ii also disconnected the two wire from the guage on the tractor and was going to connect my hand held volt meter to it to see if the guage was not reading correctly as well  but when I tried to start it  would not turn over

• Sad 1