Macgyver

Gear reduction steering

Macgyver

I know a gear reduction steering with forward sweet axle can be swapped over to a lot of other model tractors. The question is can it be done on a GT 14?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cafoose

I have a GT 14 FEL I would love to make it easier to steer. It has 5 rib tires on it now but still hard to steer with a load in the bucket.

Bill D

Anyone have pictures of a GT 14 steering system?

cafoose

20221217_171834.jpg

20221217_171905.jpg

• Like 1

953 nut

The fan gear on the GT-14, 953/1054 operates the opposite way that the fan gear on other :wh: do.  Nothing is imposable but you would have a job on your hands.

• Like 4

sjoemie himself

..and if you're in for a job you might want to look at electric powersteering from a small car.

Some have a motor on the steering rack but there are also a few that have a motor on the shaft coming from the steering wheel. You might be able to make that work :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Lee1977
20 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

The fan gear on the GT-14, 953/1054 operates the opposite way that the fan gear on other :wh: do.  Nothing is imposable but you would have a job on your hands.

Power steering might be easer. Check out the C-195 that Kelly built, I think he used a JD hydrolic steering box.

• Like 1

953 nut
21 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

Power steering might be easer. Check out the C-195 that Kelly built, I think he used a JD hydrolic steering box.

@19richie66 did that on Skittles.

• Like 2

19richie66
7 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

@19richie66 did that on Skittles.

Aldon put gear reduction on his GT22-8. Halfway down page 5 :handgestures-thumbupright:

I never got mine finished but yes it can be done. John deere 400 series I believe is what Kelly used. I still have my setup and hope to get it installed one day. 😁

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 1

cafoose
26 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

953 nut
12 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Aldon put gear reduction on his GT22-8.

So he went with the entire 520 steering system. :handgestures-thumbupright:  Good way to go on a loader.

• Like 1