jsp_333

314-8 seized?

stevasaurus

No, that fill plug is part of the castings that was there from the beginning...before dip sticks.  If you did not have a dip stick, you would fill your transmission until oil started to come out of that hole.  :orcs-cheers:

Glad you got after that drain plug and saved your transmission.  :occasion-snowman:

• Excellent 2

Handy Don
39 minutes ago, jsp_333 said:

Done & Done!

There was more than a quart of water that came out to 1/4 quart of gear oil.

Just one question remains.  If the plug on the side of trans  is for filling - what is tube & dipstick under the seat for ?  Just a redundancy?

That fill plug on the side is never coming off so filled down the tube under the seat. Did I miss anything by not use the fill plug on the side ?. 

WELL done, I say.

As @stevasaurus commented, the side filler opening is not needed with the dipstick there.

I didn't mention earlier, and it isn't critical right now, but the the transaxle casting has a ridge inside on the bottom that traps a small amount of fluid away from the drain hole. When you go back to it, raise the front of the tractor by 12-24" to get that fluid over the hump and over to the drain.

Now you can rest much easier until springtime when you can get after it for a more thorough servicing!

• Like 2

jsp_333

I feel like an idiot for wasting so much time on that side plug. Completely forgot about the fill tube under the seat.

Didn't see it until I was looking for a way to get oil in through the shifter.

Couldn't see the Forest for the trees I suppose.

And thanks Don I did have the front end of the tractor  raised about 18 inches while draining.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don
56 minutes ago, jsp_333 said:

Couldn't see the Forest for the trees I suppose.

That phrase is popular because so many of us have the same affliction at times!  :lol:

stevasaurus

The fill plug is really a total misconception.  It is not really the place to fill the transmission, it is the place to check if the transmission is full to where it is supposed to be.  If you do not have a dipstick, that is where you check the level of the oil.  If you do have a dip stick, that is a good place to add the oil.  The 2 bolt holes on top of the transmission is an excellent place to add oil.  Removing the shifter is also a good place to add oil.  I personally like to use those 2 top bolt holes on the transmission.  One with a funnel and the other to release air pressure.  :occasion-xmas:

Edited by stevasaurus