38 minutes ago, sjoemie himself said:

About point #1: some ideas that crossed my mind:

- tractor (obviously)

Okay I'm back to this now. 

EVERYBODY needs another tractor.  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don

Sorry, but I just can't help you to justify purchasing that particular engine. I didn't realize at first it was a non-runner and for unknown reasons.  👎 :(

• Like 1

sjoemie himself

@Handy Don, no worries.

The reason for it being a non-running engine is that it sat for 7 years. So yes, bit of a gamble.

If you're referring to the price, one thing I noticed before is that things like tractors, engines and gas (general cost of living maybe?) seem to be way cheaper in the US.

So comparing this to an engine one might buy in the US might not be a fair comparison.

• Like 2

Handy Don
19 hours ago, sjoemie himself said:

If you're referring to the price, one thing I noticed before is that things like tractors, engines and gas (general cost of living maybe?) seem to be way cheaper in the US.

So comparing this to an engine one might buy in the US might not be a fair comparison.

Actually the price wasn't the biggest concern in my mind. It's that it'll take mindshare and unknown amounts of additional resources to get it going and find a purpose for it. 

It you are at all like me, you already have a backlog and a storage problem! :lol:

That said, I've been known to buy a "puzzle" just to find out how it worked and get it going and then lose interest. Once bought a model kit of a Wankel engine, put it together just far enough to see how it worked and then put it aside.

sjoemie himself
2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

have a backlog and a storage problem! :lol:

Yes.. buuut it's too late now..

After a six hour drive the Wisconsin is at it's new home.

1314571036_Screenshot_20221118-221925_Photos2.thumb.jpg.b8019f82a612d89d26b8e656e559e9b5.jpg

2043753885_Screenshot_20221118-221938_Photos2.thumb.jpg.c17fa8db3a9388040105044a6cce9070.jpg

812601579_Screenshot_20221118-221932_Photos2.thumb.jpg.201a23522747b75ce14704c0a890693d.jpg

Bit of backstory on the engine.

I bought the engine from a man who inherited it from his uncle Piet (pronounced Pete).

Sadly his uncle Piet passed away last march after being diagnosed with lungcancer the christmas before. 

He was an avid collector of all things rusty and 'full of potential' lets say. 

The village where Piet's family lives is called Panningen and is home to europe's biggest classic/oldtimer tractor meeting/fleamarket/swap or whatever you want to call it. They said it is a must-see. I've been wanting to go for years but never made the time to go. Guess I'll have to write it down in the agenda for next year and make the trip. 

The engine was one of his diamonds in the rough. The family did not know where the Wisconsin came from or what Piet was going to use it for. They decided to let the engine go to a new home instead of leaving it to rot.

During the conversation it was mentioned that Piet built his own fullsize tractor. Ofcourse I had to take a look at it.

It has a somewhat modern Ford engine and transmission but the appearance of a classic Hanomag R60. Big beefy machine.

I showed them some pictures of my mini 1468 and they loved it.

I wrote down Piet's name and told his wife that I will remeber his name and the story she shared with me. She seemed to appreciate that. 

Stepped into my car, got home at around 19:30. It's now 22:30 as i'm typing this, almost time for some sleep but thought I would share the story with you folks.

Have a great weekend!

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 3

sjoemie himself

Unloaded and looked over the engine today. Everything seems to be there except some ignition leads which is an easy fix.

The engine turns but not all the way around. I'm guessing (hoping?) that it's 'only' some rust in one of the bores. I did'nt want to force it before inspecting the engine more carefully.

It has a gigantic air filter, oil filter, fuel pump and oil pump for the size of the engine. That's a win in my book, meaning those components did'nt have to work hard.

According to the tag on the engine the power output is 21.8 at 2800rpm which is low for the size of it. I'm guessing it was used in a military setting before because of the tag and also the color of the engine, green under the current red paint.

926519917_20221119_2012392.jpg.1b58a3f8cb7aa4373b6710b9c9b61d82.jpg

As for where to put the engine in the future I was inspired today. Mini Steiger or mini Case 1200 :eusa-think: 4wd, fully articulated..

1690771923_Screenshot_20221119-194612_Facebook2.jpg.bd97b9ed6e9f1cddfbf11b0ad90d5a60.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 3

JoeM
On 11/18/2022 at 1:49 PM, Handy Don said:

you already have a backlog and a storage problem!

yes and yes

I am finding stuff that I have kept and begin to wonder why did I keep this? :unsure:

had a guy stop by today to buy a snow thrower (probably could have doubled my money in Buffalo!) he ask how bad do you want to sell it. :eusa-think:

took all of three seconds, I wondered in my mind how bad do you want to buy it, Then I realized it had to go so I gave him my sell it price and all was good.

• Like 3

sjoemie himself

Now would you just look at that! How awesome is this? Sounds good too, almost like a mini V8.

• Like 1