formariz

Am I damaging transmission?

oliver2-44
3 hours ago, formariz said:

I noticed that if I put lever in neutral and then let it roll backwards down the hill it goes a lot faster than if I just leave it gear and put clutch down letting it roll back. That seems to me that even though clutch is depressed transmission is still moving forward. Wheels are now moving in opposite direction. That is my concern if I make any sense. 

Could it be……

When it is in neutral the wheel are not turning the input shaft. 
When you put the clutch in  the wheels ARE turning the input shaft  and getting a little bit of drag from the slack belt?

• Like 2

wallfish

:text-yeahthat: Plus turning all of those gears by the wheels in the opposite gear ratio will create drag through them. You can feel the resistance if turning the wheels by hand with it in gear compared to being in neutral.

It should roll back down the hill a little faster in 1st gear compared to it being 3rd gear because of those gear ratios differences. Neutral bypasses those gears

953 nut
7 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Could it be……

When it is in neutral the wheel are not turning the input shaft. 
When you put the clutch in  the wheels ARE turning the input shaft  and getting a little bit of drag from the slack belt?

That is very true but the bull gear and differential will be slinging oil either way so there shouldn't be a problem. I would leave it in first gear to slow the tractor and allow a little clutch slipping to slow it more. If it is in neutral the brakes are going to stop the wheel with the least traction while the other wheel freewheels and you skid down hill picking up speed.  :scared-eek:  Been there, done that.

953 nut
11 hours ago, formariz said:

@953 nut. Can you take a short video with it blowing leaves? I am curious as what the difference in pattern is from your set up to mine with the snow blower chute. 

I got rid of the duct pipe 90 and made up a rectangular shoot (4" deep X 10" wide) aimed down at about 45 degrees. The round pipe was hanging out too far and kept getting knocked off. With the 4" X 10" I have to go a bit slower but the leaves roll back a bit further. I just made the rectangular duct last week and am probably going to modify it a bit.

I will see if I can take a video of it in action while blowing leaves.