peter lena

chinese turkey

peter lena

was going to pick up  chinese food ,  4 young turkeys in my neighbors yard , i sub adult , head colors just coming in,  came back about 15 min later , that sub adult was rolled up like a ball in my driveway , badly broken by a car ,  most important  , feathers were perfect , quickly dragged it to the house , ate the Chinese part of this . got my  screen covered  wood framed feather box out , and started picking . been tying flies over 40 years . stripped the bird clean , left it  by the fence in the back , fox / coyote  , cleaned it up . back to nature ,  windy today , feathers  drying out and fluffing up , filling balance of box . worked out well for me /  not so well for the bird . pete

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

Ed Kennell

But but..turkeys aren't greasy.    A road killed goose would probably be more to your liking.     :ychain::hide:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

stevasaurus

Fly tying is an art form un-too itself.  Collecting feathers, road-kill hides and other things can be a hobby all by itself.  Excellent to hear you are more then grease Pete!!  :occasion-xmas:

I do tie flies, but they are tinsel and used for salmon on Lake Michigan...pulled behind a Dodger.  Happy Fishing.  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
50 minutes ago, peter lena said:

. been tying flies over 40 years

13 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Fly tying is an art form un-too itself.

You guys are bonafide  artists.       I tried it, but never developed the patients or skill.

I did tie a lot of bucktail jigs back in the day when the 10-15 pound sea trout were thick in the Delaware Bay.

104_1127.JPG.5fc7941697755a5c288c21a816b16e17.JPG

Those turkey feathers have real value to some other artists.      A lady that makes Indian Dream catchers has been trying to buy my gobbler fan collection for years.

104_1126.JPG.ab2ea2eb12b66dca5c903cb7881516f8.JPG

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

peter lena

@stevasaurus  typically tying  for bass and crappie  , pickrel thrown in , after thoroughly drying any acquired  feathers / birds , they are  very large zip lock bag  saved , and picked for  the type of feather  I need for the  wet style fly or emerger pattern  that really works for me .  get a couple of pics , of my fly drying set up ,  using a section of  POOL  NOODLE ROUND FOAM  , that fits into an air fan cage , and slowly rotates , to dry the flies . tying while listening to my favorite music , lets you really drop off , or out .  hook in mouth pete   

• Like 1

steelman

Curious as to the Chinese part? I normally smoke the turkey breast and grind the legs and thighs into burger. 

• Like 1

peter lena

@steelman  the turkey pick up , started as a chinese dinner run , just took advantage of  turkey feather pick up , in y driveway , pete