• Like 1

Roger R

That is awesome. I now have a new project to add to the list 

• Like 1

8ntruck

Neat.

• Like 1

mrc

gotta love those flap wheels.   good job!

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:clap:

• Like 1

ronhatch
Here are a couple of pictures of 2 up-grades /improvements I made that makes it a little easier to use.
The first is a spring to hold the grinder away from the sliding block and I added a lock nut so the 5/16" threaded rod is now tight in the side of the grinder. The result is much less play in the unit. I still plan on installing 2, 5/16" ID flange bushings on each side of the sliding block for the rod to slide through smoothly.
The second is a 'stop' so you start at the same place each time, which is kinda important.
FYI: I like to use a oil stone after I sharpen the blades to dress up the new edge. Ron
Cabinetry Wood Drawer Gas Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Wood Artisan Power tool Metalworking
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

formariz

Great clever idea. End result is an always straight bevel which is flat and not hollow ground such as when done free hand on a grinder. Flat bevel creates a much stronger edge. 
 @SparkyThis thread should be pinned somewhere where it may be accessed easily. Here it will eventually be lost pushed into obscurity by new threads. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

peter lena

@ronhatch  like the oil finish detail , usually  finish my blades with a fine file , to minimize  metal loss.  those decks  need a regular check  for what's going on .once I started a regular look see , for anything  , issues stopped . also prop up my decks in the sun , while i,m  looking things over . any cleaning , and oil soaking , is metal hot  drawing in the oil to stop rust and kill off the grunge. another repetitive  problem , stopped , pete   

• Like 1

ronhatch

I have to conserve on metal and make these blades last as long as I can, because I don't think I can buy blades with a double 'D' hole and 2 small holes for spring pins for an old 42"  1967(?) deck.

I've always sharpen my blades with a 12" mill file  but because I'm getting older, I thought I'd try a flap wheel on my right angle grinder...BUT not doing it  'free hand'

Edited by ronhatch
  • Like 2