Pullstart

A testament to Vinylguy’s products!

Pullstart

We have been making a super high vitamin C drink.  If anyone feels like there’s a potential for a bug, that stuff squashed it.  It’s very acidic and we have had our designated dosage cups out for a couple shots now and then.  The acid melted off the China made Vegas logo, but didn’t hold a candle to Terry’s graphics!

B8D32CCB-700A-473F-A270-11EB4CF74C56.jpeg

Edited by Pullstart
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, Pullstart said:

making concetrated vitamin c drink

How ?

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

squonk

Might as well smoke Rat Turds as well. That will keep stuff away! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Pullstart
6 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

How ?

4-5 grapefruit, 6-8 oranges, 8-10 lemons (all kind of based on the size of fruit) squeezed, into a big pot, rinds and all.  Add 3 liters of soda water and bring to a simmer - cover and simmer for 3 hours.  Keep covered.  After that time, add a fourth liter.  Then, strain and filter as to your liking.  We use tongs to pull the rinds out, then use a hand held juicer to purée the leftover fruit, then can it.  It generally makes about as much as the liquid you added.  We recently did 6 liters, canned.  We’ve given some away and have heard of pretty amazing recovery stories from said virus.

1B3B80DF-0538-46C9-847A-7D5D4CB10563.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

This is so political, it makes me sick.  I can't believe the Mods & Admins allow this!!  There is no medication organization out there that will justify this.  STOP THIS THREAD!!!  :occasion-clown:

• Haha 1

nylyon

This is not hydrochloroquin, or even anything close to it.  Assuming this recipe works, it’s just a form of concentrated vitamin C, which has shown to boost the immune system. The under reference is it helps with Covid, which Steve is correct there isn’t sufficient evidence that it helps, but also no evidence that it doesn't help or is harmful. 

In my opinion, the mis-use of the word hydro chloroquine, or the term past president does not make a post political, so yes the mods and admins will allow this.  

But to clarify, this is just a vitamin C solution, not the prescription anti malaria medication claiming to copy.

But smoking rat turds should be avoided, not sure if there are studies on that but that can’t be good…

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

Pullstart

Not trying to ruffle feathers.  I’ll edit the post.  

• Like 2

Pullstart
37 minutes ago, nylyon said:

smoking rat turds

Plenty of those in the barn right now, I’ll just sweep ‘em up so the next guy can’t get ‘em :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 2

EB-80/8inPA

If you’ve never actually tried smoking rat turds, you really shouldn’t knock it.

Edited by EB-80/8inPA
Posted for comic relief only
  • Haha 2

Sparky

How is it different than this? I mix up a packet when I think I feel “something” coming on. Not knocking what your making, just curious.

9F6B6214-7AFA-448B-9FE1-CE93780BC257.jpeg

Pullstart

@Sparky I’m no scientist.  I know this stuff works.  And I know what’s in it.  It could be a super high dose compared to 1,000 mg.  It could be that we didn’t put anything but citrus and a liquid into it.. no extras, nothing we can’t pronounce.  But it works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

I drank water today. From the tap. Didn’t get a cold or the flu or anything else.

Hhhmmm… 

Wonder if there’s a correlation… 

Nah… that might be considered political to draw such conclusions…

:ph34r:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

wh500special

This is interesting and it looks like I missed out on some excitement by not seeing the original post.

I’m not implying, nor should you infer, that your liquid does or doesn’t actually work.  I have no idea.  But be aware that ascorbic acid is easily decomposed at elevated temperatures, so it’s likely in the 3 hours of cooking that the bulk of it is being converted into much less active acid and other molecules.  So you likely end the process with (much) less available vitamin C than you started with in the raw fruit. 

I did a little googling for what happens if you exceed a maximum recommended daily vitamin C dose and found a couple of legit hits that suggest anything beyond about 1500-2000 mg/day gets excreted in the urine.  So even with a concentrated solution there may be an easily reached dosage point of diminishing returns. 

Not a bad idea to try and get a boost though. 

Steve 

Edited by wh500special
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Bill D

It can't hurt, so why not try it.  I have some wonderful neighbors that are very much into these sort of natural remedies.  Very healthy people.

Sorry I missed the original post, sounds like it was exciting.

Edited by Bill D
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

Did y’all see what the stuff did to the Vegas glass?  :laughing-rolling:

• Like 2

Bill D
2 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Was it mixed with Everclear?

• Haha 1

Pullstart
Just now, Bill D said:

Was it mixed with Everclear?

that glass was my 12 year old’s… you make the call :orcs-cheers:

DBlackston

All other bs aside, how does it taste?

I'm a big sucker for citrus anything.

Margaritas, grapefruit juice,  extra lemon in my tea, cherry limeade, I love em all and this sounds delicious!

• Excellent 1

Pullstart
12 minutes ago, DBlackston said:

All other bs aside, how does it taste?

I'm a big sucker for citrus anything.

Margaritas, grapefruit juice,  extra lemon in my tea, cherry limeade, I love em all and this sounds delicious!

My kids pucker a bit.  I love it!

wh500special

After thinking about this some more I thought of something peripherally related.  Most fruit crops take a crapload of pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides to avoid attack by any number of little life forms and present with a nice appearance in the supermarket. Since you’re keeping the skins and soaking them in acids for a long period there’s a real possibility that you’re extracting these remnant chemicals into your concoction.  Especially since the oils of the fruits are also in the skins and they’ll be in the melange as well helping to suspend the organic chemicals. 

This would be a good application for organically raised fruit to avoid that. With fruits where we don’t eat the skins organic produce probably yields low marginal benefit.  But this 3 hour cook of two dozen citrus fruits might be an exception. 

Edited by wh500special

Bill D
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

that glass was my 12 year old’s… you make the call :orcs-cheers:

I'll assume not then.  If you weren't drinking it, it would probably be a great citrus based degreaser or paint remover based on what it did to the glass.

ri702bill
6 hours ago, Pullstart said:

My kids pucker a bit.  I love it!

:ROTF:

953 nut

:text-offtopic:

Wow did this train get derailed or what?        I want to thank @Vinylguy for all the quality products he makes for us. Lets all make a vitamin C toast to Terry and everyone's good health.    :coffee: 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

squonk
7 hours ago, Pullstart said:

My sister works for a big company that does a lot of the glassware printing in the north east. She never got into specifics but a lot of her clients are people who bought stuff somewhere else and weren't happy as most companies use cheap ink that don't hold up to dishwashing. 2 or 3 times and the printing is gone.

• Like 1

squonk

And the Rat turd reference was made as to the claim that a non FDA approved product was made at home. There's enough mis-information floating around. One person died from such. 

No surprise it was nothing more than vitamin C

Edited by squonk