RED-Z06

416-H Main plug melted

RED-Z06

On my 93 416 the plastic plug that connects the engine to the harness has melted pins and now it randomly dies or won't start without fiddling with it.  Short of individually pairing each plug or doing multiple 2pin Waterpak connects...is there a replacement with pins?

WHX??

If we're  talking the infamous nine pin yes Bob Maynard has or used to have them. He's in the vendor section.  @rmaynard

There are some other sources but he comes to mind first.

RED-Z06
24 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

On my 93 416 the plastic plug that connects the engine to the harness has melted pins and now it randomly dies or won't start without fiddling with it.  Short of individually pairing each plug or doing multiple 2pin Waterpak connects...is there a replacement with pins?

Sounds right.  I ordered a thing called a molex connector this morning but i dont know if it fits

953 nut

RED-Z06

This is what i ordered...hard to tell what mine used to look like

51hJC5oxHKL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

WHX??

That will work. 

rmaynard
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

If we're  talking the infamous nine pin yes Bob Maynard has or used to have them. He's in the vendor section.  @rmaynard

There are some other sources but he comes to mind first.

I have them. Mine are direct replacements for the OEM plug.

cleat

If you get the charge wire out of that connector it will see much less load.

I run the center wire from the voltage regulator through an inline 30 amp fuse right to the battery cable at the starter solenoid.

The 9 pin then only sees the current that the coil requires to run the engine and maybe the lights if you run at night.

The early 520's came this way from the factory I don't know why Toro changed this.

• Like 2

Handy Don
45 minutes ago, cleat said:

The early 520's came this way from the factory I don't know why Toro changed this.

Time and money.

Faster at both the engine assembly and tractor assembly. Fewer parts to source, inventory, and deploy to the production line.

• Like 2

WHX??
9 hours ago, cleat said:

If you get the charge wire out of that connector it will see much less load.

Done that on more than one. Used a regular bullet connector and melted that too. Soldered and shrink wrapped but then problems cropped up at the fuse block so check that too Red. 

RED-Z06
32 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Done that on more than one. Used a regular bullet connector and melted that too. Soldered and shrink wrapped but then problems cropped up at the fuse block so check that too Red. 

It has fuse block issues too...got to address that next...the charging system is a heck of a load.  

peter lena

@RED-Z06  agree with others above  on the redo of the connector , something I  would ad is a  REROUTE  OF TIGHT  PULLING , CHAFING WIRES ,  did that on every used to be problem area , also used cable wrap and stick on tye wrap  mount points .  adding wire strain / relief  to problem spot , is very easy ,  once your  connection is verified , eliminate tight strain  connections . pete   

Bill D
15 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Change over to 5-pin and 4-pin Packard connectors like the ones shown.  Also, add a wire from the rectifier to the battery positive terminal on the starter.  Add a fuse when you do. This should solve your electrical issues once and for all. 

Edited by Bill D
  • Thanks 1