Jimmy66

Shifter rusting

Jimmy66

My 606 shifter wasn't in bad shape till I flushed the trans with diesel, them the shifter knob that extends below the dogpoint screw got all crystalized with rust.  I buffed it and coated it with grease.  My Raider 12 I just got, was abandoned outside, and the shifter is pretty et up. Wondering what the best way to fix and prevent this is, and if it is even worth saving

PXL_20220919_191432382.jpg

• Sad 3

wallfish

Wire brush all that rust off and it should be fine. The rust rot might have compromised the bend but it's hard to tell from the rust and just a pic. If it fails replace it or weld it

Moisture evaporates from the warm oil and attacks the upper parts in the trans. Pretty common to see shifters covered with rust on old tractors. Coat'm in grease like you did already.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

rmaynard

What I'd be concerned about is this area.

chrome_screenshot_1664132965553.png.fea8ac5fafbbcf97b348abaa39fea65c.png

Is it my imagination or that rusted pretty bad at the bend?

• Like 3

Jimmy66

Yeah it's got a bit missing there I'll get it welded.  No urgent need as of yet I'm gonna have to crack into the trans.  It won't shift...part of me was hoping it was due to poor set screw adjustment.  Would like to fill her up with evaporust and then kerosene to see if anything loosens up. I never opened up a trans before, but I have a Craftsman with a seized Dana to practice on before I get onto the raider 12

• Like 1

ri702bill

Not a big deal - refer to the great videos here that @stevasaurus has posted in the Instructional area for transmissions...

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Jimmy66 said:

Yeah it's got a bit missing there I'll get it welded.  No urgent need as of yet I'm gonna have to crack into the trans.  It won't shift...part of me was hoping it was due to poor set screw adjustment.  Would like to fill her up with evaporust and then kerosene to see if anything loosens up. I never opened up a trans before, but I have a Craftsman with a seized Dana to practice on before I get onto the raider 12

Absolutely not an issue. 

As recommended above watch Steve's videos. 

Horses transuhmasshion is a simple beast like the rest of the tractor. 

I been into a few. 

All regular hand tools.  Very interesting machinery.  

Get some sockets and a good sharp wood chisel and pop it open. 

You'll have plenty of help here.  

• Like 1

ri702bill

Lowell has rebuilding bearing & seal & gaskets kits - as a package or individual'

Rusted beyond repair gears are another issue - sometimes better to swap out the Unidrive with a known good one - been there...

• Like 1

953 nut

This thread from @stevasaurus will give you all the guidance you'll need to dive into that transmission.

• Like 2