Red-Bovine

Best NEW lawn tractor

Red-Bovine

We retired our 520H to be just a Snow Blower Unit with Cab. Getting a little too old to be crawling around swapping out Mower Decks and Blowers. We had a Ferris ZT mower for a while and really liked it a lot, but it wasn't easy for us to use as a spreader or lawn sweeper. Consequently, we sold it and bought a Simplicity Conquest about 4 years ago. We were hoping the Conquest with the suspension would work for us. The suspension is not what we hoped for and the quality is very lacking. Many bolts and pins have failed or fell off over the 4 years of use and recently the left front wheel fell off due to the hub separating from the wheel. Because of poor marketing and availability, we were unable to get just the wheel. They only sell you the entire assembly with bearings and tire if you can even find it. Many places have it on back order until after the first of the year. We were able to find one, after a long search on the internet, and are back up and running.

Short story long, LOL, we are looking the get a better tractor. We thought the $7000.00 Conquest ( now $9000.00) would be a long lasting investment. Surprising the cheap front wheels are also used on cheaper Murray tractors and other budget tractors. I sure wish Toro and Wheel Horse still made Lawn Tractors. Almost makes me want to put the mower back on the 520H. Anyway, strongly looking at the John Deere X590 and a 54" deck. Any comments. Kawasaki EFI engine looks like a better bet than the Briggs engine in the Conquest. Looking for other suggestions as to what might be a good investment.

Simplicity broken wheel..jpg

• Like 1

squonk

New mowers and the engines are junk. Look for a 314 or C-120.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Handy Don

Couple thoughts jump to mind.

As you discovered, Z's are easy to get on and off of and the better models are fast and cut very well but they are really single-purpose machines. 

I'm assuming you are ok with getting on and off a tractor, still.

If your mowing area is very large, I'd suggest getting another 520 with a 60" deck (or at least a 48") (the hydro lift for this deck is extremely helpful!)

If the mowing area is smaller or you'll be navigating near walls, trees, shrubs, then a 42 RD or a 48" would probably work well. 

The 520 would give you full GT capability for other implements along with familiarity of operating controls across your two machines.

You could also consider a 312-H or 314-H if going with the smaller decks, but the prices won't be that much lower than a 520

On the seriously expensive new model topic, I've looked at the Toro Grandstand line. Quite flexible, but it is a stand-on and not a sit down.

Edited by Handy Don

pacer

I agree with @squonk in that there are still really nice horses out there that would make a terrific dedicated mower. There are several advantages to this - 1st off, its a "Wheel Horse", then theres the much less cost. and parts. while they ARE getting scarce, are still quite a few, especially for some of the later models, and of course if problems arise, you've always got the ARMY of talented, knowledgeable work force here.

Not much help for you - being I'm way down south, but as an example, I have a really nice D200 with just the 48" mower that I'm advertising for $1000. And, there are many of these kind of deals.

Among my (very few friends, they are all dying off) several have opted for one of the 'New" mowers and are NOT pleased. One example, friend sprung for ZTR Kawasaki, trying to stay away from the "big box"  stuff and he hates it. He dug out an old Cub Cadet and brought it back to service and hes much happier.

• Like 1

Red-Bovine

We have about 1-5/8 acres to cut and we also help cut our grass runway on our residential airpark. I'm still pretty agile at getting on and off stuff, just prefer not to swap out blowers and decks. The idea of another 520H would be nice, but I am reluctant to trust another ONAN engine, after having replace valve seats puked up on our current 520H. We repowered it with a Honda engine. I would prefer new, but trying to avoid another expensive POS. I am not one to cherish an older WH that someone else would lovingly care for. I would be uncomfortable depriving a collector/enthusiast of an opportunity to restore something into some of the BEAUTIES I have seen here. 

• Like 1

Achto

Most lawn care equipment built today is made to last an average of 5yrs. This is by design because factory's don't make money on some thing that last forever. In my opinion - If you wish to have a tractor that will last, go with a compact tractor. JD, Mahindra, MF, Bobcat, Kubota, LS, etc. The compact tractors are built to last longer than todays garden/lawn tractors.

• Like 8

Handy Don
4 minutes ago, Red-Bovine said:

I would prefer new, but trying to avoid another expensive POS

For what you are describing, a 314-H (Kohler, Eaton1100 trans, hydro lift) with the deck of your choice could work. Around here they are going for around $1,500 with 500-700 hours and a deck.

This is a low maintenance, long term worker and you won't be robbing a collector!

The nearest equivalent "new" machines are more feature laded but I'm not sure their longevity/maintenance is going to compare to a WH. Brands like Deere, Kubota, and Mahindra.

• Like 2

squonk

Best friend called me last year. Wanted to replace his well worn White riding mower and wanted an opinion. So I gave him one. I told him I could find him a nice Wheel Horse for less than half of a new tractor. He declined. Wanted something "New" He ended up buying a Cub Cadet with a 3 year warranty. I told him he's going to need the 3 years. It's been back to the dealer 4 or 5 times already for deck related issues. 

My next door neighbor goes thru new equipment like us guys change underwear. Belts fly off, no starts, no reverse, surging. I see the dealer rollback in his driveway all the time. 

• Like 3

SPINJIM

I've had a Gravely ZT for ten years, and have been very happy with it.  It has the Kawasaki 23 hp engine that has been great.  Gravelys are made in USA, and I think they still make standard riding tractors as well as zero turns.  I use my five Wheel Horses for other garden chores, but prefer the ZT for cutting grass.

Jim

• Like 1

Red-Bovine

Thanks for the input, guys! I'll keep looking and considering.

• Like 1

Achto
21 hours ago, SPINJIM said:

Gravelys are made in USA

Gravely is made in Brillion Wisconsin. It is basically Ariens commercial line of lawn care equipment.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

Red-Bovine

Gravely does not make garden tractors and we do not want another ZT. I like the ZTs but need something for other chores like fertilizing, sweeping, hauling, and aerating. Wanting new, we are taking the plunge on a new JD X730. It appears to be the best of the lawn and garden tractors without going to a sub-compact tractor that is way more expensive and overkill for our needs. With the easier attachment swapping and really nice hard cab, we may consider selling our 1992 520H with the Honda motor and snow cab, 44" two stage blower, and 48" mower deck and purchasing the needed attachments for the JD. It would be nice to recoup the room the extra tractor takes up. The JD offers drive over deck attachment and easier blower attachment. We are going to check it out today.

Red-Bovine

Really like the JD X730, but we wish Toro still made a Wheel Horse like the old 520H, but improved attachment swapping. We're going to keep the 520H until Spring and then sell the whole package. I will advertise it here when the time comes. The Signature X7** JDs are pretty nice and better than any other garden tractor still available new. I wonder what Toro could have produced had they stayed in the Tractor market.

• Like 1

bds1984
16 hours ago, Red-Bovine said:

Really like the JD X730, but we wish Toro still made a Wheel Horse like the old 520H, but improved attachment swapping. We're going to keep the 520H until Spring and then sell the whole package. I will advertise it here when the time comes. The Signature X7** JDs are pretty nice and better than any other garden tractor still available new. I wonder what Toro could have produced had they stayed in the Tractor market.

Many of us often wonder what a Toro garden tractor would be like if they were still in production.  Since their recent contract to build lawn mowers with MTD, I suspect any new Toro garden tractor would be a Cub Cadet XT3 painted red.  It is a shame to hear about your Simplicity, my dad has owned a Broadmoor for the last seven years and has been a good machine for him after a few hundred hours.  The only issue was the pushbutton start going wonky after drowning it after power washing one time.

Heatingman

What about a second wheel horse to just have the mower deck on permanent.

And a mower jack to drive onto jack up to wash off the grime after use.

probably get a really nice good looking and working one for under 1 K 

If I was gonna spend multi thousands on a new, Id get a zero turn of some variety. An Exmark or similar commercial grade machine.

Maybe second hand from a landscaper. 

Bow_Extreme

I would keep a 520H around for spreading duty, trailers, etc.  For mowing, I highly recommend a Spartan Zero Turn.  They’ve been slowly taking over the market of Exmark, Toro, and Gravely.  I have the Mark Martin Edition with a 38hp Fuel Injected Engine and a 61” deck.  It has a 2” standard receiver hitch on the rear to tow or put spreading attachments on.  You can also purchase accessories for it.  The parts prices on the Spartan are literally half of what the other major brands are.  These are made in the Ozarks.  I bought my mower used with 200 hours on it.  I would do it again and again.  Service is also top notch.  I deal with my local Burnips Equipment location.  

• Like 1

Snoopy11

Most newer JD garden tractors are junk. They have either cable lifts, or the rod style lift which uses very thin rods.

Not only that, but the decks are very thin, bend easily, etc.

I wouldn't buy a new JD mower... but that's just me...

Don

Moonshine*Connoisseur

Spartan got bought out by Toro and Stihl, the chainsaw company, is getting into the zero turn market and is having Ferris build their zero turns.