Hampton

Tiller install

Hampton

Attached my first ever tiller on my first ever Wheel Horse. What an adventure. I now understand why some of you have a tractor for each attachment.  lol 

Watched a video that had what might be a lift assist spring on a tiller. I don't have one. Thinking I should get one.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Skwerl58

Attaching a tiller can be a task for sure. I have a 414-8 and I align the tiller with the rear mounts and attach those then attach the lift cable. I put a 4x4 block under the tiller before I hook up the lift cable. It takes me about 15 minutes to get everything ready to go if all goes well. I have a spring but only use it probably half the time, depending on the tilling job.

• Like 1

Goldnboy

I took  a picture so that I remember how to align things up the belt guard also adds trickery.  Once in position just lift up.

Hydraulic lift does work in your favor when tilling with a 8 speed.

20210508_153545.jpg

• Excellent 2

Pullstart

@Hampton that’s one right of passage to :wh:!  Pulling hubs and steering wheels are others, along with seized hitch pin removal!

@Goldnboy I’ve never seen a belt guard on one!  Must be why!

• Like 1

clueless

If you have a Harbor Freight close buy one of those cheap wood four wheel dollies $15.00, the larger one work even better. Set the tiller on it, it will raise it just about the right height so you can just roll it up to the hitch while lay on the floor and with very little effort to connect it. Same when disconnecting it, just raise the tiller and roll the dolly under it and disconnect it and the best part is you can now roll the tiller wherever you want to store it till next time. "Work smarter not harder".

• Like 2

peter lena

@Hampton  @clueless  , agree with  clueless , on making things easier , would also do an oil change on that unit , often suggest on making any attachment , linkage / lever , etc  easier to function make sense ? typically  go over its intended  function ,  make the rust run out , as some of  us get older , you just cannot crawl around  and do things easily , thats where I  am . my 2 cents , pete   

Wheelie1277

I have to ask you guys about a 175 36" tiller I picked up this week for a steal! It came with the original manual and it's telling me I can't put it on my 1277. Please tell me that's incorrect? 

• Like 1

Lee1977
On 10/9/2022 at 2:58 PM, Wheelie1277 said:

I have to ask you guys about a 175 36" tiller I picked up this week for a steal! It came with the original manual and it's telling me I can't put it on my 1277. Please tell me that's incorrect? 

The tiller wasn't designed to fit that older tractor, I'm not saying it can't be used with that tractor. I may be more trouble to make the changes then it's worth.The good news is you need another Wheel Horse it will fit ( no mame 1973 , C-series , 300, 400, or 500.

• Haha 1

Wheelie1277

Just an update on my tiller install, I got it to work! Took everything off for the mower deck and the original belt he gave me works on the large pulley!

• Like 1

peter lena

@Hampton   glad you got it going , next time you use it , or just checking out its function , you might consider dropping  and changing the gear oil , chances are it might have moisture in it , ,milky color . pete

mrc

hampton, 

if tilling with an 8 speed do yourself a favor and get the lift assist spring.   much easier to lift.  i tried it both ways myself and spring is better.