RustyGold

Workhorse 700 Special

RustyGold

Started out with this stock 69 workhorse 700. The existing seat was clunky & had some damage  . I set out to make this into a 1045 clone .  This is the last year wheelhorse made the short frame. The frame & upper hood stand matches the 1045. I removed the stock flip up seat & lower hood stand . Found a nice wheelhorse metal pan seat at my local flea market . Here’s the 
Before & after pics …looks beefier than before !  I’m hoping to add the toolbox & fenders from a 702, or 753 . Maybe someday I’ll find the Lower hood stand from a genuine 1045 . 

94AACD53-9B44-4F87-AD02-5E0FE498315B.jpeg

B6ABE08F-20C7-48A0-AE36-BA88833CBC9A.jpeg

Edited by RustyGold
  • Like 8
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

I like it.  

We have a seat spring and seat to do similar to one of Trina's mid 60s tractors.  

Do you find the hood stand to be weak or flexible after having cut off the horizontal section?

If I remember correctly there are bolts going through the holes circled in my pic. 

Screenshot_20220919-190311-961.png.1ef798c1b3d96f05d9384772f051efa0.png

• Like 2

RustyGold
18 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I like it.  

We have a seat spring and seat to do similar to one of Trina's mid 60s tractors.  

Do you find the hood stand to be weak or flexible after having cut off the horizontal section?

If I remember correctly there are bolts going through the holes circled in my pic. 

I didn’t notice any difference in the upper hood stand . It still feels solid , no difference. The lower center piece I removed only had (4) thin tabs which go thru some slots in the lower hood stand.   And yes . There are 4 bolts which hold that lower plate in place on the frame rails . I didn’t finish mounting that one up before I took the pic . One thing to note is that the workhorse 700 shares the same upper hood stand as the 1045 but the 1045 has the 7 slot hood . The Workhorse has 6 slot hood with room for lights !! 

Edited by RustyGold
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, RustyGold said:

workhorse 700 shares the same upper hood stand as the 1045 but the 1045 has the 7 slot hood

@Rob J. Just got a 1045 "forced" Trina to buy one with the help of @Handy Don

We'll be getting it back here In a few weeks. 

It has holes in the hood where a PO had installed lights on the sides and maybe top.   

• Haha 2

Rob J.
12 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

It has holes in the hood where a PO had installed lights on the sides and maybe top.   

Forced….bwahahahahahaha 

• Haha 2

RustyGold
10 minutes ago, Rob J. said:

Forced….bwahahahahahaha 

You lucky dog !  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart

Looks good so far!  Are you planning to add the round hood style rear shifter box and toolbox/fenders?

If not, a second 3/8-16 bolt in each side of the hood stand will brace it well too.  Seems some later models had two bolts in each side anyway.

• Like 2

Rob J.

On the hood, the 700 looks to have much more “rake” than the 1045. On the 1045 there was a round bar stock welded to the front that held the bottom hood in place, the hinge point. 

• Like 2

RustyGold
24 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Looks good so far!  Are you planning to add the round hood style rear shifter box and toolbox/fenders?

If not, a second 3/8-16 bolt in each side of the hood stand will brace it well too.  Seems some later models had two bolts in each side anyway.

Thanks man. I’m planning to add the shifter box & toolbox /fenders but they are hard to find . Hopefully they come up for sale sometime !  

• Like 2

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, RustyGold said:

Thanks man. I’m planning to add the shifter box & toolbox /fenders but they are hard to find . Hopefully they come up for sale sometime !  

Here’s our project mock 1045 on my daughter Jada’s 857:

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/75987-and-now-on-to-the-last-haul-of-the-big-show-jadas-barney-fife/?page=2

BEC80F17-4B3F-48CC-A253-353FA7C0AC48.jpeg

7DA7166E-37EA-4E9C-B36A-E0A2E4103C40.jpeg

• Like 4

Pullstart
1 hour ago, RustyGold said:

nice job ! What model did you get the lower hood stand / shifter surround from ? 

Thanks, we had fun having a daddy/daughter project out of it!  We used the box from a 753.  I believe any 62-64 round hood will work.  

• Like 1

Pullstart

I have another spare that I picked up at the Big Show.  Plans to make a long square hood round fender…

D606D946-7DFF-4645-9FE3-CC78E053C30E.jpeg.8768fc14173b7d9e4c5125a20f01763e.jpeg

That will likely require a handful of belt guards, like I did for Frank.

AE013AC0-6957-4DDB-85F5-E9F5E923E515.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Lee1977
18 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

It's a good thing Trina is geting all the tractors, they will get finished  Won't be like some one we know with a bunch of umfinished tractors.

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

It's a good thing Trina is geting all the tractors, they will get finished  Won't be like some one we know with a bunch of umfinished tractors.

Well between work and fibromyalgia I'll either get to them eventually or I won't...

Don't make much matter to me either way as long as I got a worker or two. And I do.

• Like 3

RustyGold
On 9/20/2022 at 6:43 AM, Pullstart said:

Thanks, we had fun having a daddy/daughter project out of it!  We used the box from a 753.  I believe any 62-64 round hood will work.  

Pullstart,  

I sourced a wh753 lower hood stand . Did all the bolt holes line up with the upper hood stand ? 

• Excellent 1

Pullstart
53 minutes ago, RustyGold said:

Pullstart,  

I sourced a wh753 lower hood stand . Did all the bolt holes line up with the upper hood stand ? 

i cut spot welds out and welded it all back up.  Feel free to check out the build of “Barney Fife” for greater detail :handgestures-thumbupright:

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/75987-and-now-on-to-the-last-haul-of-the-big-show-jadas-barney-fife/?page=2

EB-80/8inPA
On 9/20/2022 at 1:57 PM, ebinmaine said:

Well between work and fibromyalgia I'll either get to them eventually or I won't...

Don't make much matter to me either way as long as I got a worker or two. And I do.

Sorry to hear about that (the fibromyalgia, not having the workers).  It might just be time to C & D with the Colossus ribbing… 

Best of luck fixing yourself!  That’s the most important restoration project you can do.

• Heart 1

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

Best of luck fixing yourself!  That’s the most important restoration project you can do.

I'd be happy with a mild usable repair on the physical form of me Bear 🐻

The mental part has been just gone for a loooooong time.  

• Haha 1