C.Lawles

Tow pull valve does not turn

C.Lawles

Hi guys, I’m a newbie here and with wheel horses. Sorry if this has already been answered before, I couldn’t find it. I have a 68 charger 12 automatic. I just got it running, and then I went to try to turn the tow valve. It will not budge. Is there anything that I need to do before I can turn that or is it broke?

when I got it running it did drive in forward and reverse. I still have to drain the fluid and change the filter. Also the decal is not legible anymore for the instructions on the tow pull valve.  Thanks for any input

pfrederi

Long end forward is drive  long end back push/tow...Put  a lot of your favorite stuff. (PB Blaster Kroil etc on it and let it sit...

• Like 3

daveoman1966

Put a big crescent wrench on it and take out the entire valve.  Clean out the rust and refit, with new O-ring...if needed.  Put anti-sieze on threads and moving parts...NOT on the O-ring surface though. 

220 026.JPG

220 030.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

:WRS:

@daveoman1966 has you covered on this problem. If we can help along the way please ask first rather than proceeding and later wishing you had asked. Between all of us we have already made every mistake there is, learn from our mistakes.          :hide:

• Like 2

C.Lawles

Thanks Guys, that's exactly what I needed. You guys are great! Before I asked, I was able to get the threaded part off and I did spray it down with blaster to let it sit. But I wasn't sure how that valve was in there. I may have to put the nut back in and add some washers above it and try to turn it back out to see if it will start to pull out.

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:

just remember how many years it took to get rusted in place.  Don’t expect a miracle in minutes… :handgestures-thumbupright:

ri702bill
1 minute ago, Pullstart said:

miracle in minutes

Now THERE'S a great name for a new snake oil penetrant !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

953 nut
11 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:

just remember how many years it took to get rusted in place.  Don’t expect a miracle in minutes… :handgestures-thumbupright:

confucius-say.png.87188ce8384de00ae5634414e32df3e1.png

• Like 3

C.Lawles

Yup I hear you there. I am impatient though lol

• Haha 1

C.Lawles

Well after letting the blaster soak over night, I was able to get valve to finally turn and pull out. Cleaned it up and now works great. Thanks guys!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1