bo dawg

How to Deck spindles and pulleys

bo dawg

How does everyone else remove the pully off of the 5/8 tapered spindle without damaging pully or spindle? Every time I need to pull one to replace bearing or tare down for what reason is a pain to remove. 
i wish they never changed from the keyed style, those are easier. 

Ed Kennell

Two of these 180 degrees apart under the pulley hub.

15" Utility Wonder Pry Bar

• Excellent 1

peter lena

@bo dawg  agree with @Ed Kennell above , detail on that is to use the spindle to deck bolts , under the pulley  as a rocker point  for the bar leverage , another thing is to put the " v " of the bar  right up against the spindle / pulley  mount , thats the strongest point on the pulley  .  if you just attempt to pry that off , without the details you will bend the pulley , use penetrating oil soak , set up correctly , should pop right off, done it a number of times , pete

• Like 1

bo dawg

I have sprayed and soaked them for days and no luck. I even heated them up with a Mapp torch and still no luck. This last time I heated up and used bees wax which I’ve seen loosen the most stubborn pieces before and it worked but only if I hit the top of the spindle and drive it down through. Of course I was mad and didn’t protect the top of spindle. But I will have to try the bigger pry bar method.