ebinmaine

Classic Tractor Fever. Look what popped up this morning!

D_Mac

Nice, I had one but I don't think the 500 Specials were ever at the Indy. Stories like this keep the myth alive. That being said.... would I get another one ??   YES !!! Only this time I would put a 8hp Kohler in it.

20211007_174335.jpg

20211007_174346.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, D_Mac said:

Nice, I had one but I don't think the 500 Specials were ever at the Indy. Stories like this keep the myth alive

The way I understand is that the 500 Special was built to Commemorate the race. 

There were Wheelhorses at Indy. Maybe higher HP models?

• Like 1

D_Mac

Thats what I believe to be true as well. Wheel Horses were at Indy before 1968 when the 500 Special came out. I think the ones at Indy were 10hp limited slip. Not sure of the model or models. Not to knock on the 500 Special but it was not the best Wheel Horse had to offer at that time. I did a lot of work to mine and was very pleased at the results but like I said... next one I would just rather put a Kohler with a key start.

20210701_142222.jpg.305a5244dbeb8e5715366987d6e119f9.jpg

20210713_160912.jpg.58767beb91bbed0f5a13d3e55a7d0043.jpg

20210715_165213.jpg.707409747586bc50035ac8ddb042d42d.jpg

20210725_202600.jpg.6d252ef3875596bf73b7430b651da6e6.jpg

20210725_202548.jpg.32e17630bcc83e4e90c1ed198fa9dba7.jpg

20210701_123003.jpg.24c003fd882a3fe016acac218158e19f.jpg

20210930_153228.jpg.abe2faeeeabbba91c4ee0da5fcf64a56.jpg

• Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

Wild Bill in VA

Eric, it is interesting to note that the 500 SPECAIL pictured has been at the Wheel Horse Show back in 2008 when the 500 SPECIAL was the featured tractor ......... we defiantly had fun that year doing things with that model.

Also, on the other side of your post Classic Tractor Fever, I had met with the director of that show twice in Wilmington, DE at the Charcoal Pit restaurant on RT 202. I tried and tried to get them to come to the Annual Wheel Horse Show and film it for TV. But unfortunately, their target market at that time was all into selling to the larger tractors and not to the garden tractors so they were not interested. That was at least 15 years ago so maybe they have changed.

Wild Bill in Richmond VA

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Mike in NC

Is there any idea of how many were made?

• Like 1

Wild Bill in VA
2 minutes ago, Mike in NC said:

Is there any idea of how many were made?

Years ago, I researched the 500 SPECIAL for an article I wrote for Lawn and Garden Collector Magazine and came up with 2,500 to 3,000 produced. Wheel Horse made two versions and built them with the Tecumseh H-60 recoil start engine, some dealers had a hard time selling the recoil start version, so the dealers changed them to a H-60 with electric start. 

Wild Bill in Richmond VA

• Like 2

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, Wild Bill in VA said:

Eric, it is interesting to note that the 500 SPECAIL pictured has been at the Wheel Horse Show back in 2008 when the 500 SPECIAL was the featured tractor ......... we defiantly had fun that year doing things with that model.

Also, on the other side of your post Classic Tractor Fever, I had met with the director of that show twice in Wilmington, DE at the Charcoal Pit restaurant on RT 202. I tried and tried to get them to come to the Annual Wheel Horse Show and film it for TV. But unfortunately, their target market at that time was all into selling to the larger tractors and not to the garden tractors so they were not interested. That was at least 15 years ago so maybe they have changed.

Wild Bill in Richmond VA

Not sure what the ratio of Garden Tractor to Farm Tractor is on CTF but it's most certainly FAR in favor of the larger. 

There are some GT videos now. As you can imagine they showcase the more rare and unusual of the smaller ones.  

• Like 2

Retired Wrencher

I had a 606 pretty much the same tractor. A Teckey engine are good it is just the carbs and the diodes if you can find them. If you have a good one, it is gold. I used to see a guy here on this site that did conversions with small Kohler carbs.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Retired Wrencher said:

it is just the carbs and the diodes if you can find them

The diodes are replaceable with modern components. 

2 minutes ago, Retired Wrencher said:

I used to see a guy here on this site that did conversions with small Kohler carbs

@Pullstart and others have done it. 

A little work to get the linkage right and you're off n running!

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

The diodes are replaceable with modern components. 

@Pullstart and others have done it. 

A little work to get the linkage right and you're off n running!

Exactly Eric. The dealer I go to use to tell me Teckeys better than brigs engines. When you have a good one. I had a few in my time. I believe a 606 607 657. The 606 was perfect runner.

• Like 2

Pullstart

Here’s the thread on that carb swap @Retired Wrencher:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Retired Wrencher

Nice job Pullstart. I am sure it runs fine know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Chris G

Ill go through one of my boxs. But i have collected alot of photos of the Wheel Horse use at indy. Most of the pics ive got show the round hoods, such as 702 and 753's and a few others. Ill dig photos out in the next day or so and share.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Chris G said:

Ill go through one of my boxs. But i have collected alot of photos of the Wheel Horse use at indy. Most of the pics ive got show the round hoods, such as 702 and 753's and a few others. Ill dig photos out in the next day or so and share.

That would be neat 🙂

• Like 1

Wild Bill in VA
1 hour ago, Chris G said:

Back in 2008 for some raffle prizes at the Annual Wheel Horse Show so I contacted the Indianapolis Speedway about photos of Wheel Horse tractors being used at the racetrack and was able to score a super nice set of photos that was given away at the show. Now keep in mind that I was not allowed the post these pictures online due to them being copy righted and being sold through the library at the speedway. Now I'm sure these might still be available if somebody wanted them.

Wild Bill in Richmond VA

Edited by Wild Bill in VA
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Chris G

Wonder if there any of the ones i have. 

• Like 1

wh500special

I just watched the video.  That’s a nice looking tractor and the owner did a fantastic job with it!

In the interview I noticed it was said that these tractors were only sold in Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio.  I think it might even say this in Martino’s book.  

I’ve repeated this rumor too, but I’m not so sure it’s a fact.  My 500-special was sold new by Art’s Lawnmower Shop in Blackjack, Missouri.  And given the numbers of them that have turned up further east I would think that WH’s largest distributor- Brawly - in Pennsylvania probably got a decent allotment of them too. 

Obviously, it doesn’t really matter.  Given that these are somewhat common though, I think we may be a little off base with their distribution. 

Steve

• Like 3

Wild Bill in VA
12 minutes ago, wh500special said:

In the interview I noticed it was said that these tractors were only sold in Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio.  I think it might even say this in Martino’s book.  

I’ve repeated this rumor too, but I’m not so sure it’s a fact.  My 500-special was sold new by Art’s Lawnmower Shop in Blackjack, Missouri.  And given the numbers of them that have turned up further east I would think that WH’s largest distributor- Brawly - in Pennsylvania probably got a decent allotment of them too. 

Obviously, it doesn’t really matter.  Given that these are somewhat common though, I think we may be a little off base with their distribution. 

Steve

I have always wondered about the selling of the 500 SPECIAL and have heard the selling of these models only in a few states but mine came from Winston Salem, North Carolina ...  a huge racing fan state.

Wild Bill in Richmond VA

• Like 3

wh500special

And another thing or two…

Around 2001 or so, Toro had an Indy 500 special edition 522xi for the race.  It had a unique model number and special decals.  I think these were actually used at the track for various things.

There was also an XL Indy edition.  I assume it was a 16-44 HXL(or 17-44) also with special decals. 

Sears/Craftsman had one too.  So there was at least one year in there somewhere where WH/Toro didn’t have exclusivity. 

The 500 Specials were not used at the track.  They were just a special trim package.  In those years they were using Chargers with white wall tires and the checker flag decal below the grill.  

Steve

Edited by wh500special
  • Like 1

Mike in NC
6 hours ago, Wild Bill in VA said:

Back in 2008 for some raffle prizes at the Annual Wheel Horse Show so I contacted the Indianapolis Speedway about photos of Wheel Horse tractors being used at the racetrack and was able to score a super nice set of photos that was given away at the show. Now keep in mind that I was not allowed the post these pictures online due to them being copy righted and being sold through the library at the speedway. Now I'm sure these might still be available if somebody wanted them.

Wild Bill in Richmond VA

Wild Bill, are the pictures still available?

953 nut

The Indy Wheel Horse race is my personal favorite. Mechanics from each team would race around the 2.5 mile track twice making it a 5.00 mile race. At least one year every Wheel Horse that was loaned to the track was outfitted with Wide Whitewall Tires. Being mechanics several of the competitors figured out a way around the engine's governor and had the Kohlers screaming all the way.

Vintage Film Has Gts | Garden Tractor Forums

Wiki:"500" Special - WIKI Discussion - RedSquare Wheel Horse Forum

Wheel Horse Sno-White Power Equipment Southington, CT (860) 747-2020Tractor for sale? 1973 wheel horse| Cars For Sale forum |

Edited by 953 nut
  • Excellent 2

Wild Bill in VA
1 hour ago, Mike in NC said:

Wild Bill, are the pictures still available?

Mike, you will have to call The Indianapolis Motor Speedway and see. The archives, library or maybe the gift shop. I do remember making several phone calls.

Wild Bill in Richmond VA

• Like 1

953 nut

A few more.

Tractor for sale? 1973 wheel horse| Cars For Sale forum | Forry restores Wheel Horse to former glory

The Tribune (Seymour, Indiana), 8 May 1963 -

The Indianapolis Star, 18 May 1969 - Newspapers.com

A Humphreys' History — Humphreys' Outdoor Power

Amazon.com: MPC 6025 Lotus STP Indy Turbine Car 1/25 Scale Plastic Kit :  Toys & Games

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

c-series don

Here’s a few pictures of a what was a once famous racetrack only 3 miles from my house. I remember going there as a child and seeing many famous drivers. Bridgehampton Raceway was in operation from the 50’s to the late 80’ s.   From this rare high vantage point on Long Island the views over to Connecticut are unbelievable. Now it’s a golf course that only the ultra wealthy can afford. A friend of mine gave me the book on the history of the track and I was like holy crap there’s a Wheel Horse in the picture! 

That’s Richard Petty on the hood of that car. I remember Al Unser, Paul Newman, AJ Foyt and others racing there. 

DF0B0B74-5CA4-437B-96E7-B6E163EB0D6F.jpeg

2D4433A7-D105-41F9-AC3A-9927B7C34C18.jpeg

02FDCECB-00E7-4FA3-96F7-5CFC9B77CF1A.jpeg

DE493B56-ED65-4681-89A1-1B7FFD4B8951.jpeg

Edited by c-series don
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1