Burnerman

Are the input shaft bearings well lubed?

Burnerman

When the transmission is in neutral, idling, foot off the clutch, what’s spinning in the trans? Is the input shaft bearing getting enough oil to it? 
I’ve got my hot rod tractor spinning pretty quick. 😁It’s been too long since I was in an 8 spd and don’t think I paid any attention to that anyway. I don’t know how to exactly look it up in Google but I know someone on the site knows the answer. 

Pullstart

How fast at idle do you think you are?  You could pull the shifter and stick a long matchstick in there to see where the oil level is,  if you’re nervous, add another 1/2 qt…

• Like 1

Burnerman

Math is not my strong suit but I’m running a 6” hydro engine pulley to a 3” trans pulley. Waze app says I’m 14mph at around 3400 rpm. 
my jackshaft pulleys are the same size. 
The trans was the best of the 2 I had for my project. I don’t think it ever got water inside from a peek thru the shifter. The trans is level and at the full mark, maybe a lil over. I guess I’m just wondering if there’s a lower gear cluster that’s in the oil that’s spinning or does everything get oiled from the diff spinning. 

squonk

If you get the oil too high or spin it too fast it will foam up and do more harm than good.

• Like 2

ri702bill

I believe it was our resident Unidrive guru @stevasaurus mentioned a while back in a post I did about flushing a trans - look at the oil distrubution if you pull the shifter in neutral with it powered at idle - looks like an oil water fountain inside...

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

Burnerman

@ri702bill that’s what I needed to hear. Lol. I’m gunna pull the shifter and check it out!

stevasaurus

If you look at these two pictures, the halves are sitting like they would in your tractor.  The 1st picture is the right side and at the far left in the middle is the input shaft hole.  The top 2 holes are for your shift rails and the bottom hole is for your cluster gear shaft.  What spins in neutral (with the clutch out)...the input shaft, the spline shaft and the cluster gear shaft.  That is enough to keep the trans bearings lubed, but only the cluster gear shaft, the bottom of the mushroom gear and the lower part of the differential are in the oil.

In the second picture, the left side of the transmission, notice the small indentation at 7 o'clock of the 1533 differential carriage bearing.  That is your fill plug and that is where the oil level should be.  As you can see, the input bearings are above the oil level, but with those shafts turning when ever the clutch is out, the bearings stay well lubed.

Know that these transmissions throw the oil all over the gears and bearings, if you  :orcs-cheers: over fill the trans with oil, the gears cannot throw the oil like it should.

2008_0122TRANSNEW10014.JPG

2008_0122TRANSNEW10015.JPG

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Burnerman

Thanks @stevasaurus!! I haven’t overfilled it and it’s fairly quiet. 
I had it idling for a few minutes to charge the battery a bit. It idles around 1200 rpm. I was looking at the that pulley spinning like mad under that belt guard hoping that bearing was getting wet. 😁👍🏻
Thanks for sharing your smarts!

• Excellent 1

stevasaurus

While thinking about how you are using your horse, I would recommend changing your transmission oil at least every other year...90 wt.  Put in 1 1/2 qts of 90 wt. gear oil and 1/2 qt of Lucus oil treatment.  The Lucus will hang on your gears and bearings and give added protection.  It is thick and sticky like STP.  :occasion-xmas:

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Burnerman

I’ve got 75-90w in it now cause that’s what my son had left in the garage from his jeep project.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks 

• Like 1