WH1618speed

702... Restoration

WH1618speed

I have it torn down to this at the moment.

IMG_2527.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

WH1618speed

Is there any way to get rid of overspray on tires? It appears the previous owner tried some touch ups but failed to cover up the tires. I tried some tire cleaner but it did not work. These rear tires are good and I'd rather not drop $200 on new ones. They clean up nice on the spots not oversprayed. 

Edited by WH1618speed

WH1618speed

IMG_2538.jpg

WH1618speed

IMG_2537.jpg

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, WH1618speed said:

Is there any way to get rid of overspray on tires?

Gazzoleen... :sci-fi-marvinmartian:

Don

• Like 3

Darrenw85

I power wash and scrub the tires then apply a coat of Miller tire paint. 

image.png.42365dc96c8ee11c79c2f6c188400499.png

• Like 4

Snoopy11
11 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Gazzoleen...

If I get overspray on anything... which is rare for me... I put on some latex gloves, use a gas soaked shop rag to remove the paint... then I go ahead and pour some dawn dish soapy hot water on it and scrub very well.

For tires, I would then recommend applying some sort of conditioner.

My recommendation would be something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Dressing-Protectant-Attracting-Conditioner-Automotive/dp/B003VSATBI?th=1

:greetings-waveyellow:

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

The Freightliner Guy

Looks nice 

• Like 1

ri702bill

Good old fashioned DOT3 Brake Fluid - use gloves and eye PPE. It softens and removes the paint and will not harm the rubber. Try some on plain coarse steel wool...Seems to be pretty complete, except for the shifter boot, parking brake lever and the LH guard over the brake. Later style shifter knob, and missing the hood thumbscrews. Deck may be a challenge... NOT a bad start at all!!

Do check your lower steering shaft cast iron support and the "F" plate on the frame where the Unidrive attaches for cracks and / or damage. Did you drain the trans yet - a missing boot usually means water inside... Hitch looks frozen in place - very common.

Feel free to ask questions - lots of Round Hood folks here....

Bill

P1010325.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
2 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Good old fashioned DOT3 Brake Fluid - use gloves and eye PPE. It softens and removes the paint and will not harm the rubber.

SAWEEET! I never thought about that!!! :P

Thanks for sharing that! :greetings-waveyellow:

Don

• Like 2

stevasaurus

That is one of the most correct 702's that I have seen !  Excellent!!  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 4

WH1618speed
3 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Good old fashioned DOT3 Brake Fluid - use gloves and eye PPE. It softens and removes the paint and will not harm the rubber. Try some on plain coarse steel wool...Seems to be pretty complete, except for the shifter boot, parking brake lever and the LH guard over the brake. Later style shifter knob, and missing the hood thumbscrews. Deck may be a challenge... NOT a bad start at all!!

Do check your lower steering shaft cast iron support and the "F" plate on the frame where the Unidrive attaches for cracks and / or damage. Did you drain the trans yet - a missing boot usually means water inside... Hitch looks frozen in place - very common.

Feel free to ask questions - lots of Round Hood folks here....

I will have to do that, thanks! I have got just about everything you mentioned. I bought some pieces at the Big Show in PA. I got an LH guard, thumbscrews, and a shifter boot. It had a boot on there, I just took it off after power washing to clean it up. It was torn up though. I also found the parking break lever in the shed on the floor. :lol: As far as I can tell, it is free of cracks on the frame. The deck is trashed but the gears and bearings are still good. There are 2 inch wide holes in some spots. I can find a shifter knob anywhere. We've got plenty of late 80s early 90s parts tractors I could steal one off of. Thanks for the input!!

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

WH1618speed

What would be the best tires for the front? They are pretty cracked. I looked some like the Kenda Load Star but I'm not exactly sure. My 854 has Deestone ribbed tires but I want something different on this one.

Darrenw85

I used the Firestone tires from miller tire for a couple of my tractors. I like the look of these but everyone has their own preference. 

IMG_20210620_151606516_HDR.jpg

Screenshot_20220915-222756.png

Screenshot_20220915-222744_1.png

• Like 8

ri702bill

Go back to my picture of the 854 - I used loaded AG's all year long - better steering for plowing...

AND, if you find the 4 speed has costly damage - do consider a swap of a later 6 or 8 speed. The 6 speed is easier to do - ask @Handy Don. I did the 8 speed from a 1979 C81 donor on that 854 pictured - NO regrets!

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Handy Don
13 hours ago, WH1618speed said:

What would be the best tires for the front? They are pretty cracked. I looked some like the Kenda Load Star but I'm not exactly sure. My 854 has Deestone ribbed tires but I want something different on this one.

I used the Carlisle Sawtooth. They are kinda "vanilla" but I like the look as they are narrow-ish, seemed in the same proportions as the rear 6x12's, went well with the round hood, and are a close match to the original WH-labeled tires. 

image.png.b93c2b8a77c0c6be61e62dd331b0ed4f.png

As noted often here on the forum: your tractor, your preference rules :)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ri702bill
16 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

your tractor, your preference rules :)

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 2

ri702bill
7 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Go back to my picture of the 854 - I used loaded AG's all year long - better steering for plowing...

AND, if you find the 4 speed has costly damage - do consider a swap of a later 6 or 8 speed. The 6 speed is easier to do - ask @Handy Don. I did the 8 speed from a 1979 C81 donor on that 854 pictured - NO regrets!

Ask @Pullstart bout his 8HP repowered 502 named "Putt-Putt" she's a runner....

• Excellent 1

WH1618speed

UPDATE: started sanding and then primed some things yesterday. So far so good. I had to use some body filler for a bad dent in the hood but so far no hiccups. I will have to do some sanding on the primer then on to painting!

IMG_2554.jpg

• Like 4

WH1618speed

IMG_2555.jpg

IMG_2556.jpg

• Like 1

WH1618speed

IMG_2559.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

WH1618speed

IMG_2558.jpg