ebinmaine

My last estate auction find. An impressively built Wheelhorse custom.

CasualObserver

Looking forward to more pictures. :popcorn: 

• Like 2

WHX??

Yah more pics fer sure EB...steering set looks interesting :popcorn:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, CasualObserver said:

Looking forward to more pictures. :popcorn: 

15 minutes ago, WHX20 said:

Yah more pics fer sure EB...steering set looks interesting :popcorn:

Guys I just took a video that's about 5 minutes long and I'm downloading it right now. I'll set it up in a little while. You're going to love this thing.

• Like 3

The Tuul Crib

Wow how exciting! The hunt ...The dig!

Please let us know more , Pictures!

• Like 2

953 nut

:handgestures-thumbupright:              Love the home built!       Need to see a bit more of the three speed, could be a 953/1054 with the long axles.       :text-coolphotos:

• Like 1

pfrederi

The front thing was a hand crank like on old farm tractors  You also have an old style belt drive next to the PTO

Steering looks like an old Farmall. H or M

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:                       Obviously a salute to the JD from the '50s. lots of clever engineering went into that for sure!          :thanks:

• Like 4

Chris G

Pretty unique and pretty cool! Was definitely someone's pride and joy at one time.

• Like 1

WHX??

I'm thinkin the (smart) dude that built this did it for a single purpose  had in mind. Don't ask me why I think this but I also think Richard is on to something about the builder getting some ideas from a JD. The thing is EB lots of questions will go unansered unless by some act of God the builder is revealed, or someone who knew him, just happens to come by by coincedence.No matter what you do with it sure would be a nice, do I dare say lawn ornament, or a conversation piece at shows. Just for grins I would see if I could get it running without sticking much coin in it . You still did good by the rescue.

Is the tranny free or go into gears? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JAinVA

Visual cues are of a John Deere M.Vertical steering wheel,Built up area of the hood and grill.I love the rebar repurpose.I miss the folk art of the people up in Maine.

john_deere_m_02_dvdb09.jpg

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 4

WHNJ701

if tractors could talk....

• Excellent 2

ebinmaine
27 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

front thing was a hand crank like on old farm tractors 

I'd say that's how it was started. No key. No starter. No pull rope.

Too bad I don't have that anymore.

Maybe I can make one if I can figure out how to shape it.

The engine appears to be stuck right now but who knows what I'll do with it.

I'd really like to get this machine running.

@WHX20

The builder is likely passed to the Happy Tractor grounds in the sky.

I got it from an estate sale auction and was lucky enough to meet and converse with the wife of the fella who passed.

She didn't remember him building this one but he did A LOT of tractors.

It's quite a piece of workmanship.

It won't be lawn art.

I'd like it to be a conversation piece for sure.

The transmission does go into all gears but 3rd with out moving the tractor. It may go in 3rd if I can line up the gears.

1 minute ago, jabelman said:

if tractors could talk....

Oh man ..... I know.....

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

be a 953/1054 with the long axles.

How can I tell?

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

Visual cues are of a John Deere M.Vertical steering wheel,Built up area of the hood and grill.I love the rebar repurpose.I miss the farm art of the folks up in Maine.

john_deere_m_02_dvdb09.jpg

47 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:                       Obviously a salute to the JD from the '50s. lots of clever engineering went into that for sure!          :thanks:

Good call guys.

• Like 1

bo dawg

The steering looks like you could change the axle and put those 2 wheels side by side like the old tractors. 

Its pretty cool for sure. 

• Like 2

WHX??

Bo is talking like a row crop tractor which would be cool. I would throw some LR 6s on it just to get be a roller.

• Like 2

Pullstart

That drive belt system looks like it’s from an old tiller.  Depending on adjustment, they had forward, neutral and sometimes reverse.  Imagine 3rd gear reverse driven!  If nobody has pics, or knows what I’m talking about, I have Grandpa’s old tiller in the back barn, I could get pics tomorrow...

• Like 3

bo dawg
3 hours ago, WHX20 said:

Bo is talking like a row crop tractor which would be cool. I would throw some LR 6s on it just to get be a roller.

Yes! that's right, I couldn't of the proper name for it. Lol

• Like 1

Pullstart

ebinmaine
13 hours ago, WHX20 said:

I would throw some LR 6s on it just to get be a roller.

Definitely going to make this one a roller so I can move it around the yard. I think the wheels on the front of this are the same size as the ones on my baby farm tractor. The wheels look okay. I may just buy new tires. They're only like 15 bucks a piece.

@pullstart thanks for that video. I'll look at it later when I have a bigger screen and better volume.

One of the things I'm curious about what this machine is to see if the 90° sideways gearbox is a one-to-one drive.

Obviously, if it isn't, that would affect the speed of the tractor one way or the other.

I really want to get my 1267 tuned up and usable and also get the cinnamon horse done but in between I think I'll be soaking penetrating oil to the joints on this tractor and maybe take a couple apart so I can start to get this machine freed up a bit.

• Excellent 1

Machineguy

:text-goodpost:

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@ebinmaine Have you thought about returning to the location and asking permission to search for other parts that went with this tractor. The PO must have build it with a purpose in mind . The rear PO is not on for looks.  Oil and grease the heck out of everything and let is soak in. Every once and while lube it again and stuff may free up. PLEASE PAINT IT RED.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@ebinmaine Have you thought about returning to the location and asking permission to search for other parts that went with this tractor.

*** I've actually been there three times now. Two, for this tractor.

The late owner's wife was fairly sure that he did not actually build this tractor. It's been sitting there so long that she had forgotten it was there behind the shed.

She's a wonderful woman who's been very patient and already been through quite a lot in the last few months so I'm not going to bother her again.

The layer of pine needles was so deep on the ground that the steps of this tractor as you can see by the dirt were partially submerged. I think I would have to comb through several inches of organic material if I was ever going to find anything at all.

The PO must have build it with a purpose in mind .

*** His wife actually used those same words. This was kind of not really in his radar screen or MO and that's why she didn't think that he had built it.

The rear PO is not on for looks. 

Oil and grease the heck out of everything and let is soak in. Every once and while lube it again and stuff may free up.

*** That's exactly what the plan is for now. The good news is, none of the joints appear to be swollen or super corroded or flaky with rust. I think everything probably will free up just fine given the right amount of time and maybe a little bit of heat.

PLEASE PAINT IT RED.

*** I've never actually been a huge fan of John Deere myself but I think the guys above are likely correct indicating that it is a tribute to a 50s M series or something close to that.

Funny thing is, the paint is closer to Oliver green and the rear wheels are red like an Oliver. Front wheels are yellow like a Deere.

• Excellent 1