Aldon

New Horse Hauler

Sarge

That right there is getting to be a reality - very few owners will ever be able to work on these new vehicles . They are far too complicated with electronics and built in a manner your average local ma n pa shop cannot handle . That is a big concern when buying anything made past the last few years - this next generation will push a lot of the old mechanics out of the picture , not to mention repairs after the warranty period are starting to push a lot of nice vehicles to the bone yard versus the expense of fixing them . After the life span of my current truck - I may go the other direction to something a lot older , might not have a choice either .

Have you had time to learn all the new systems associated with trying to drive the thing yet ?

Sarge

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Aldon

This one has few bells and whistles. So I am mostly up to speed on it. I’ll have to read through the towing section again though before I put it to its intended purpose. 

Sarge

That's a good thing - less stuff means less to go wrong later , lol . I do like how they are building a lot of these new trucks/cars with the main harness as a unit built to accept whatever equipment was available - a lot easier to add upgrades or install factory options if you don't have it later . I installed the tow controller on the Dodge as a kit but did have the dealer enable the system in the management computer - works flawlessly and is fully integrated into the truck . Even works with the abs system and stability control - it will use the trailer brakes if the truck detects slide slippage , pretty cool . Only other thing I've wished for on this one is the heated wheel - my hands get weird in the cold now due to Raynaud's - hunting a used heated wheel for it but looks like I have to get the clockspring upgraded as well - that install won't be fun and I may leave that to the dealer , ugh .

The main reason I picked mine was the mid length bed , quad cab layout and an odd 5 passenger model - around here most are 6 passenger and I prefer the better bucket seats and the full console with storage . A lot of good creative thinking is going into these new trucks - Ford is doing a great job as well with their '16 and later models . Good luck with it - we'll want pics of course ...lol .

Sarge

• Like 1

ztnoo

Part of my success and ability to keep old stuff running well is having gone to the same shop for years.

One shop did mechanical work for me for 30+ years.

They knew my machinery and I knew all of the mechanics on a first name basis.

You could actually talk to the guy face to face that was doing the mechanical work..........no aloof service manager to separate the customer and the mechanic.

They were all excellent diagnostic mechanics with a great range of experiences, and I never had a problem they couldn't resolve.

Then the owner of my long time shop decided to throw in the towel a few years after the market crash of 2008.

He is about 6 years older than myself, and he was eating up his social security trying to keep things going and ride out the storm.

Finally he decided he just couldn't do that anymore.

I followed one of his mechanics who is about 10 years my junior to another shop which is much like what I had been use to.

He works on all my stuff. Just had the S-15 in the shop this week because the heater fan and the windshield wiper pump quit working on me.

Not good problems to have in winter weather in Indiana.

He had me in and out of the shop in about 1 1/4 hours, including procuring the repair parts.

I'll stay with him until he retires, kicks the bucket.......or I kick the bucket.

Unfortunately it seems like the older guys can't approach newer vehicles with their proven techniques and skills because of all the computer and electronic gizmos on today's vehicles.

By the same token, many new line mechanics don't have the experience to cope with the older technologies, or have no interest in acquiring those skills or working on older stuff.

If you are going to rely on older, used vehicles, locate a good mechanic who understands and wants to keep them running........and someone you can communicate with face to face.

• Like 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

I agree about the local shops and the problems they have with the new or foreign vehicles. My wife and I have been using our local shop since the late 80's. Until recently the same owner and mechanics. The owner decided to retire about 6 months ago but the mechanics stayed on. We own a 2000 S40 Volvo ( the only new car I have ever purchased) . About 6 months after all the dealer freebies ran out , drove it to the local shop for an oil change . Not sure how they  messed up at least extra quart of oil was added. Blew out seals on Turbo, had to have it towed to dealer. Local shop paid for repairs but now it goes to dealer. It has 69,000 miles on it. Purchased a 2001 Volvo XC 70 in January 2011 now it has 107,000. Just found out it needs a timing belt $750.00 price tag on that.  I guess what I am saying is the local shops are really at a disadvantage on the new vehicles for repairs etc. I still have the 1984 El Camino ( 147,000 miles )serviced at the local shop and we purchase all our tires at the local shop because I can get better deals. I am also a cheap. 

• Like 3

roadapples

Remember when you could set the points with a match pack..... Never owned a new vehicle in my life. Doubt if I ever will at this point. Couldn't afford a used one on Social Security....

• Like 3

Big_Red_Fred
2 hours ago, roadapples said:

Remember when you could set the points with a match pack..... Never owned a new vehicle in my life. Doubt if I ever will at this point. Couldn't afford a used one on Social Security....

Well i see i will add Roadapples to my help list ! Lets see a lightly damaged Pete to haul Horses to show & rent out the Sleeper to Jim ! Comes complete with Garage Door attached to roof & Exhaust With Cinder blocks on trailer roof for them Pain in the rear 4 wheelers that cut you off for no reasons & a 1000 pound I -Beam to forge rivers ! Ericj called me a Sum B this morning hahaha after we talked ! Such Love on a Sunday at the shop.IMG_06991.jpg.ba3a1dd3eb158d39565e10dc4fb418ff.jpg

• Haha 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Big_Red_Fred did anyone besides the driver get hurt by the flying wrenches and dirty words after the idiot took out the door and part of the building.

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred
25 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@Big_Red_Fred did anyone besides the driver get hurt by the flying wrenches and dirty words after the idiot took out the door and part of the building.

Did you watch Wrestling back in the day ? I did the Chief J Strongbow dance, i used a shop towel for loin cloth, a greasy 1 as i threw snap on Tomahawks at driver & all over shop:violence-blades:

Aint we a hell of a group hahaha

• Haha 2

Sarge

The newer generation mechanics are generally more computer driven and far less about being a hard core mechanic - it is necessary with how the newer stuff is built . I'm more of the older school of actually overhauling things and rebuilding to put the vehicles back into service . The new guys are at the point we refer to them as "parts changers" . If the service system tells them to do it , they accept that and just do it per the computer's demands . It has resulted in some fights between myself and the dealerships - I want to know the root cause of a failure and figure out how to fix the issue to avoid the same problem again in the future - like the stupid front bumper sensors on my truck . Had it in twice for the same moisture-inducing false readings and alarms every time it rained and water ran down off the nose at a stop , they tested the system and tested the sensors and said they were fine - no problems . They got so bad the system by default would shut off - I'm geared for diagnostics and finally had to just go out in the shop and speak to the tech face to face - told him to hit the nose with a spray of water with the diagnostic computer monitoring the sensors - as soon as any water hit them it showed a fault and alarm - they were replaced under warranty . Exactly what I had told the service manager was the problem - water intrusion into the internal parts of those proximity sensors , duh . Now it's back again doing the same thing and I've read they have updated the sensors to a better design - so another fight to get them changed per the parts/service warranty since the truck's main warranty is up now . Should be interesting ...

Back in the day when electronics starting showing up there were a lot of things we had to do to fix design issues since most of the technology wasn't very refined and created a whole slew of problems . Things have gotten better but they still always want to push a problem off and ignore it until the warranty is up - then hit your wallet instead and I refuse to accept that . Being an informed vehicle owner is their worst nightmare - especially when you come in the door armed with documents from the manufacturer on service bulletins and subsequent repairs to address them . I use the various forums to my advantage against dealerships - nearly every forum and brand will have a member who is an experienced tech and some have been great at letting us in on secret service bulletins to address issues , dealerships hate that but once they understand you aren't messing around and can go over their head they will pay attention . I highly recommend staying informed when you buy into a new vehicle , especially re-vamped new generation trucks that always have something fairly major that comes up . Sometimes you get lucky with a good dealer and sometimes you have to use their system against them - but for what you've paid it's worth it to do your research and keep informed . Until the warranty expires it is good diligence to use their service department for maintenance work - and keep those service records and any documents from them - you might need them later . That seriously comes into play with trade in values and I've always kept tight records on all my vehicles - that information is worth money later when you sell or trade .

We need some more pics of the pretty Ford , especially when it gets to the haul duty part....

Sarge

• Like 1

ztnoo

Found the Ford article.

" A fully-loaded F-450 — the biggest version of the Super Duty — will top out at $94,455."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2017/10/12/u-s-pickup-truck-buyers-demanding-more-luxury-options-their-rides/756974001/

Crazy. Totally crazy, IMO.  emot-jawdrop.gif.065fa18c11c4d7b9eb8295d05a73665f.gif

PeacemakerJack

That is a beautiful truck Aldon!  If you take care of that truck like you take care of your :wh: it will last you for decades.  One nice thing about new vehicles is that you, as the only owner, know how the vehicle was used since day one.  They are very expensive today but so is EVERYTHING ELSE!!! Anyone actually taken a moment to look at the prices at your favorite fast food restaurant lately.  Most places and most meals are about double what they were just a decade ago.  As a house builder in the Midwest, prices on the average mid level home have gone up from $100 per sq ft to nearly $130 in the last 10 years too. That isn’t giving the customer any more than in the early 2000’s. Such is life.  The only thing that bugs me about vehicles is how fast the price drops from new to the junk yard.  I have had an easier time selling 50 year old GT’s than I have a 15 year old car!  Unless it is a collectible, most vehicles get to the point that they have nearly no value except maybe parts.  Weird.

Aldon—you’ll have to post some pics of that thing working and update us after you’ve used it for about a year. Let us know how you like it!!!!

• Like 1

Aldon

Crappy weather since I took ownership of the beast. But today was a pretty nice day albeit around 20 degrees. A couple non dealer lot pics. Note the size difference with the Tacoma:

8124C9DF-1FEE-4073-BB3B-350F9B13D85A.jpeg.39e9bd38396e83944cc8caaa7ff4a1f2.jpegA8D48D59-D703-4736-B2D3-9438F411B615.jpeg.ecf2b525245dfa1dd2fc36fb43e2caaf.jpeg187F43F2-0350-4DD2-9CC9-FB7549265A2A.jpeg.cb8831650f5c141b183972a90f8c6b38.jpeg

• Like 4

WHX??

Looks like you got a little white stuff there Aldon. You are not going to like it when the other white stuff (road salt) is on that new rig! :( That's why I parked my new rig in that big tan shed for the winter or two and will run the old one. Try and make it last a little longer that way. My new truck is supposed to carry me through retirement.

20170812_171503[1].jpg

Resized952017081195182608[1].jpg

I since put a nice Leer cap on it.

OH NO!!! Karl's Christmas theme is snowing on them ! :lol: 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Aldon

Super nice rig! And I hear you on making these last. My plan is similarly!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Sarge

We want pics of it ready with the big trailer , lol...very nice and sharp truck - kudos . I've never been much of a Ford fan , but their newer ones are quickly growing on me - good looking beast it is indeed .

Sarge

Aldon

Well I’m getting it all set up to pull the Enclosed trailer. The new Super Duty’s are so high I needed to source a 10” drop hitch. Along the way I ended up ordering the new GENY integrated Torsion hitch. Way more hitch than I currently need but it will pull anything I upgrade to as far as tongue pull trailers up to 21k. Also threw in for weight distribution and anti sway. Figured I would recycle some of the influx of cash from recent tractor sales....mine is the normal metallic grey powercoat. This 6 inch (?) drop hitch is off their website:

ABD18066-FD6F-451F-8684-780B8B231CB0.jpeg.f9af070cd578e97dc35501d87fc200b2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

WHX??

That's a hunk of steel hanging off there Aldon.:handgestures-thumbupright:. if I remember right I needed/got a  hitch with a 13 inch drop!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Aldon

Guess yours is bigger :laughing-rofl:

• Haha 4

ztnoo

jawdrop.gif.a55438056b7f681c94c7c20232fc7d60.gif

emot-doh.gif.91c3a8b4566093583e13b533fc8d72e0.gif

umm.gif.0cc30ecba07627fb94c7e4a53e6a78e7.gif

rolleyes.gif.84a3e04afd3caf9a658f869f451550aa.gif

Aldon,

There's more steel in one of those hitches than all your remaining Wheel Horse tractors and implements combined. (What is left, btw? The two GT 14s???)

Careful, Congress may ban those for excessive consumption of civilian used of materials critical for military use.

rotfl.gif.16fd2180938bdb2e49823a6d69d94268.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

squonk

Watch your shins!!!! :banana-jumprope:

• Thanks 1

Aldon

Gt16, GT22-8 & C160. 48 & 60 inch deck, Havana sickle, GT14 tiller, several engines, RJ front reel mower, 54 inch blade, a rebuilt sundstrand pump, wheel horse dump cart and more GT14 parts than u can shake a stick at. And I’m probably forgetting something:-)

• Like 3

ztnoo

Huummmm....a "Havana" sickle, eh?

Sickle1.jpg

Probably from the Batista, pre-Fidel Castro days in Cuba, right?

;)

• Haha 3

19richie66

If I lived closer I would be shaking a stick at your gt14 parts. :mrgreen: 

• Like 1

Aldon
16 minutes ago, ztnoo said:

Huummmm....a "Havana" sickle, eh?

Sickle1.jpg

Probably from the Batista, pre-Fidel Castro days in Cuba, right?

;)

HABAN

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1